ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:55 AM

I do believe I've come up with a great way to fly comfortably.

The choice for a gimp is between business class or 3 economy seats. For me at least, I need to lie flat, which is not really what a business class seat does. Plus, I find that 3 economy seats are cheaper than the business fare, and do not need to be booked months in advance to be reasonable, as is the case with business fare.

But economy seats are not known for their luxurious upholstery, to say nothing of being designed for three separate bums. So. For about $15, I got a memory foam mattress topper. Just about an inch thick, maybe thinner. The size you want is full (as opposed to twin, queen, etc).

Lay the mattress topper over a sheet. Fold four times, wrapping the sheet inside jelly roll fashion, so the sheet is snugly wrapping the foam pad. Roll up the loose sheet at both ends, and sew into place. You now have a pad that fits perfectly across three standard economy seats. Toss on your favorite pillow, use the airline pillows to cushion the upraised armrests, and that's a very comfy ride. Stewardesses came over to ask where I'd bought it.

Now for shlepping this around an airport. For about $25, I got a rolling duffle bag. I got the idea from a more expensive item in an LLBean catalogue, but the cheaper version at the luggage store was actually better, as the duffle bag folded down flatter. You don't want to put any thing inside the bag, rather to use the thing as a rolling platform. The pad rolls up like a sleeping bag, secure it with bungee cords, secure it to the roller with more bungees, throw your pillow on top. It's also handy for stowing a jacket or sweatshirt while going thru a stuffy customs line.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Pretty clever advice -- for spineys or anyone that flies international! Thx for sharing.

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate