ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Naturopathic Corner

The Naturopathic Corner This forum contains posts relating to natural and alternative therapies, general nutrition and nutritional therapies, supplementation and more.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Default Clean, Distilled Water

What is distilled water?

Distilled water is water which has been heated to the boiling point so that impurities are separated from the water which itself becomes vapor or steam. It is then condensed back into pure liquid form. The impurities remain in the residue which is simply thrown away. Distilled water contains no solids, minerals or trace elements, and has no taste. Distillation removes the debris, bacteria, and other contaminants.

Distilled Water and Your Health:

“Do I need to tell you why drinking plenty of good quality water is as essential to health as eating properly? In a nutshell: one of the main activities of the body’s self-healing system is filtration of the blood, a job performed mostly by the kidneys which a little help from the mechanism of perspiration.

Kidneys are such efficient, compact and miraculous filters that they put to shame the dialysis machines used the maintain the patients with renal failure. The heart, blood, and kidneys are a single functional unit the constantly cleanses and purifies itself, removing all the toxic wastes of metabolism and the breakdown products of harmful substances that get onto our bodies one way or another. This purification system can operate efficiently only if the volume of water flowing through it is sufficient to carry away the waste.

Further, as good quality steam distilled water enters the body, it has the ability to "pick-up mineral deposits accumulated in cells, joints, artery walls, or wherever such deposits occur and begin to carry them out. Gallstones and kidney stores then decrease, and it also lessens arthritic pain as joints become more supple and movable.”

- Dr. Andrew Weil, Natural Health, Natural Medicine
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-19-2011, 12:43 AM

I own a distilled water machine. Just wanted to add that it does say in my manuel that you shouldn't only drink distilled water.

check out this link:
drinking water how much water should I drink ?

Distilled water

Many people decide to buy a distilled water maker. Whilst this is safe to drink it should not be drunk continuously over a long period of time. Distilled water is empty water and it will help to draw out the toxins from the body. However prolonged usage will leach vital minerals and vitamins from the body.

Anyone drinking distilled water for a prolonged period of more than a few days should very definitely take mineral and vitamin supplements but we do not recommend drinking this permanently. It's far better to drink this a few times a day as well as drinking normal filtered water whilst ensuring you get all the vitamins and minerals your body needs either from your diet or by using a supplement as well.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:41 PM

I've been researching this topic as well. I'm sick of dragging that heavy brita pitcher across the kitchen (while I'm on crutches) and would like to get rid of the chorine and flourine in my water. www.antiagingdentist.com has a lot good information on his site and first got me thinking about getting a whole house filter. He's also a naturopathic physician and covers just about anything you'd like to know about food, herbs, vitamins, water, toxins, etc., under his medical theories and breakfast book section.

The Crystal Quest Company seems to have best line-up of whole house filters but they are pricey - going through multiple steps of filtration, adding back the minerals, and then finally alkalyzing the water. I can see in the long-term this would be advantageous to your health. They're on sale right now, but still too pricey as I have to add in the cost of hiring a plumber to install. Will have to settle for a cheaper shower filter and some other point of use filter for now.
*Tx's-PT, 2 ESI's Interlaminar & transforaminal, 2 SI Joint steroid injections, Failed LBB for SI Joint
Old 09-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Vicki, good points all around, though I am still unsure if distilled water can be that powerful a "binder." Please share any ideas or links you found convincing, I'd like to learn more.

ML, you may have seen the other topic in which I delve into some of the fluoride health issues, which I believe are serious. Thanks for the link, I've not seen it.

I have an under the sink mounted system that uses two cartridges that filter out a long list of contaminants, include 99.9% of fluoride. It was less than $300 for the system. The plumbing cost $3,000,000 though...

Old 09-19-2011, 08:36 PM

We rent apartments so the whole house filter isn't an option but we've done very well with Berkey gravity filters.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Vicki, good points all around, though I am still unsure if distilled water can be that powerful a "binder."
Rich, in chemistry and corrosion studies distilled and deionized water are often referred to as "hungry water" due to their tendency to pull ions out of whatever they are in contact with. I don't know but I would wonder about the wisdom of a continued diet of distilled water only.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 09-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Question

Thx Jim/Laura for that. Hey, I was never suggesting taking it long term. But it still would be nice to have more medical or scientific research on this, whether it be short or long term.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Default Some insights & data

Lots of references & studies, most against long term use:

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_...ineralized.pdf

Supporting (long term?) use - the comments are very interesting:

What Experts Say About Distilled Water

Everything in moderation!?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Administrator

One important reminder is that most (if not all) of the "minerals" in public water supplies are not good for the human body. For example, inorganic salts are contaminants detrimental to the human body. As I mentioned in another post, fluoride is also injurious to the endrocrine system and especially the thyroid.

A while ago, I removed my faucet to change over to a washerless design. I was shocked to see so much gunk under there! See the picture attached.

If I had a choice between distilled water and unfiltered city water, I'd take the distilled water. No doubt about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woburn Water Deposits.jpg (92.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-07-2011, 08:02 PM

Good post, Fluoride in the water can cause arthritis of the spine and joints...

And that's not a "Conspiracy Theory"...
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.