ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 PM

Zenmunk: I actually did it quicker by uploading my scans and diagnostics to a zipped file, and using dropbox. Although it is better to send it, at least he can have a quick look and give you a preliminary diagnosis and treatment option. I had a little more trouble interfacing with their computer system since my only working computer is a MAC, but it worked.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6
Old 07-31-2013, 08:20 PM

Gene,

Yeah, I meant 3 weeks until the evaluation. I sent the package via FEDEX International Priority. They should have received it today. I'll follow-up with Malte tomorrow about it.

LauraB,

I asked Malte if I could use dropbox, because I have everything uploaded, but he said it's better to send the discs. Dr. Lauryssen also wanted the discs. His assistant said, "It is important for us to be able to view all of the axial and sagittal images at once." So, sometimes dropbox won't suffice I guess.
1/2015: M6 @ C3-4
1/2017: Revision @ C3-4 (M6 replaced with new M6); M6 @ C4-5
4/2017: Posterior micro-decompression @ L4-5 & L5-S1
1/2018: M6 @ C2-3
8/2018: Revision @ C3-4 (M6 replaced with anterior fusion (no plate or screws))

Last edited by zenmunk; 07-31-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:16 PM

Default I know this

Laura, You know what will happen if you do nothing. At least Beirstedt also uses the mobic if needed. He not 100% devoted to the M6. He will act in what is best for the patient. the mobic is better than the Pro-disc. I just have s trong feeling about Beirstedt. The only thing holding me back is getting the money. I am looking at trying to get a medical loan, but so many won't send to a doctor outside the US.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 PM

Cheryl, This has been the most difficult decision I've made for quite some time. I've let my situation go for five years because I didn't have confidence in the alternatives offered by US surgeons. I really have very little time left before permanent damage can occur - so I basically am not allowed to do anything around my house so as not exasperate my condition.

I had to look at my life in a completely different way. I've never spent anything on myself, raised my kids, and our date nights are trips to Home Depot (oooooh). People spend more on a car for five years than they would on their body. This was something I had to keep repeating as a mantra to consider myself as an asset.

I have taken out a home equity loan, cashed out my IRA, emptied my savings, and talked to a few relatives about assisting with some travel. It has been a very humbling experience, but I plan on going back to work full-time with my new neck. We've changed the spending attitudes around our home and our kids (adults) have new responsibilities. This situation has had some silver linings too.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 AM

Cheryl, LauraB,

We arranged another mortgage on our house to be able to afford the surgery in Germany. As I was pretty much bed ridden, couldn't work and going to lose pretty much everything we had. it was a calculated risk. If I couldn't get back to work our lifestyle was going to be very different. My wife spent too many years and much time getting this house the way we want it, and we didn't want to move.
I could barely get out of bed, I felt like I was going to fall down every time I stood up. My wife couldn't support us and I knew I had to get back to full time work and that was only going to happen with back surgery. So we rolled the dice.
My back is getting better, core muscles are not so good, but consider a 7 inch vertical cut down from your belly button, how good should I do?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:13 AM

It is a difficult adjustment financially, but I've been through worse. I've had to start over and make new beginnings throughout my life (lastly when my husband died of cancer in 04). I remarried in 08 and two months later we had a car accident that left me in this condition. My poor husband has had to deal with my pain management and crankiness. We both deserve better, and if it takes starting over again - it just makes us stronger individuals.
I am very resourceful and will make this work. We are not like video games - no "do overs" or "unlimited lives." I want to enjoy the one I have.

Stonewall Boris - You made the right decision. Every day you spend out of bed as a functioning human being is worth every dime spent. I'm sure your wife appreciates having her husband back too.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:07 AM

Default so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Cheryl, This has been the most difficult decision I've made for quite some time. I've let my situation go for five years because I didn't have confidence in the alternatives offered by US surgeons. I really have very little time left before permanent damage can occur - so I basically am not allowed to do anything around my house so as not exasperate my condition.

I had to look at my life in a completely different way. I've never spent anything on myself, raised my kids, and our date nights are trips to Home Depot (oooooh). People spend more on a car for five years than they would on their body. This was something I had to keep repeating as a mantra to consider myself as an asset.

I have taken out a home equity loan, cashed out my IRA, emptied my savings, and talked to a few relatives about assisting with some travel. It has been a very humbling experience, but I plan on going back to work full-time with my new neck. We've changed the spending attitudes around our home and our kids (adults) have new responsibilities. This situation has had some silver linings too.
My car is $22,500, why not spend $32,000 or so on myself. Wow, what a shocking eye-opener! Now I have sheltered my husband from most of this. I need to arm myself with my final facts and show it to him. I need to know how to move forward with a loan or 2nd mtg. and I can't do that without his support. He has lost faith since every surgery has only made things worse. It the fusion that caused the adjacent level ddd. The 3/4 was doing fine before the fusion at 4/5.
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
Old 08-02-2013, 07:09 AM

Default what is involved with the 2nd mtg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Boris View Post
Cheryl, LauraB,

We arranged another mortgage on our house to be able to afford the surgery in Germany. As I was pretty much bed ridden, couldn't work and going to lose pretty much everything we had. it was a calculated risk. If I couldn't get back to work our lifestyle was going to be very different. My wife spent too many years and much time getting this house the way we want it, and we didn't want to move.
I could barely get out of bed, I felt like I was going to fall down every time I stood up. My wife couldn't support us and I knew I had to get back to full time work and that was only going to happen with back surgery. So we rolled the dice.
My back is getting better, core muscles are not so good, but consider a 7 inch vertical cut down from your belly button, how good should I do?
What will I need to have ready to go to the mgt. company with? Did you tell them what you were using the money for?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM

Cheryl, By all means get your husband involved. You can't do this alone and shouldn't. Your finances involve him as well - unless your both independently wealthy (my dream). He may have some great resources or thoughts too.

The first thing you will need to do is fill out an application. They will guide you through the process. The value you receive greatly depends upon your current loan to value. Due to the poor lending practices in recent years, banks and mortgage companies scrutinize more, but that really is more protective on both parties. There are just way to many people who are over extended in their debt. Of course, like your first mortgage, a credit report, work history and appraisal on your property are all the factor needed. I don't believe it is necessary to give personal details of its purpose.

I opened a line of credit about 5 years ago. I have a fixed "max" amount that I have access to. Like a checking account, I write out a check to cover whatever it was I needed and I pay back on the principal and interest (only on the amount I used). Fortunately, I have a fantastic rate 1.5% and only have to pay on the interest. The principal is due on its 10 year birthday (which I have 5 more years to pay). By then, I hope to sell my home and pay it off - get something smaller. PLUS, (bonus here) I will be able to go back to work and increase our income.

Other resources: IRA - although you take a hit with the 10% penalty and its taxable in the year you take it out (not social security), but if you are like me, with barely an income, your tax rate may be low and the impact won't be so drastic. Again, you take out what you need. Pulling money from a credit card can be (and is) a financial nightmare - not recommended unless it is a small amount and you can pay back quickly. You may be able to find a credit card that will allow you interest free rates for a period of time - use this for your travel expenses - Capital one MC does not charge for international exchange transactions.

As I am gathering my finances to pay for my trip, I will certainly pass along my strategies to you (if it helps). You can PM me and we can exchange cell #'s. I'm learning a lot as I go along.

OOHHHH one more thing. When you send money (transfer US to Euros), look into the method of trade. The banks charged an extra few cents which can amount to a larger sum for exchange - check out XE Trade (if necessary).
Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 AM

I financed 1/2 of my surgery. I was fortunate, I have a line of credit for my business, up to $70,000 @ 3.1%. The nice thing about a line of credit compared to a traditional loan is that your minimum monthly responsibility is only the interest. If you have a tight month you do not have to pay any principal. If I do not have it paid off in 2 years, I will refinance the house and roll into the new mortgage if rates are still good. I am a contractor so the front of my house is currently ripped apart (shoe makers kids with no shoes), that is why I did not roll into mortgage now. The whole process can seem overwhelming at time but just take it one step at a time. I broke down at a point when I did not have a follow up spine doctor and primary told me he would not have anything to do with it unless I had a local spine doc on board. I kept just fighting the next battle and not looking at how many battles were ahead and finally got there. Decide what the best surgical treatment for you is, then figure out how to make it one step at time. There may be times with set backs that add a few more steps but just keep working at what you is the best for you.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt