ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee771 View Post
My bowls are barely functioning, bladder is causing problems.

I can't fight until I am fixed. I can't protect myself, and my circumstances are not good.
Whoever you get an evaluation from, make sure they understand this. With these symptoms, you need to go straight to the front of the line.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:18 AM

Default Thank you

Hi, Cynlite: Yes. I am on narcotics. I do have a lumbar mri scan and it does show that I have an issue there. I do have health insurance, two kinds.
I got into a neurosurgeon 2 weeks ago, and he scheduled surgery immediately after seeing my cervical MRI. It's been really, really bad for a very long time. BUT, nobody would help me....Nobody. I left his office in tears that someone was nice to me, showed me where the problems were, let me ask questions, AND he answered them, AND he treated me with respect.....AND he was going to do surgery, and the Mobi-C at C4-6. Surgery was Monday. The pain was bad, bad, bad but that's ok if it gives me my life back (pain like mine is to be expected because I was on narcotics for so long, and injured for so long).
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynlite View Post
Renee, if you are still around I have a few questions. Are you taking narcotics or pain medication? I'm assuming you are so the next question is are you doing anything to manage the constipation from them? If yes then the next place to look would be your lumbar spine for bowel problems. If you can't get the insurance company to work with you then perhaps you need to call a lawyer to help you. If you can handle the hours of phone calls it takes to get the insurance company to cooperate, then you need to insist on speaking to supervisors only. The low level people will give you different answers to the same question on the same day. You will need to appeal and push! I sure hope you are doing better.
Mild bilateral facet hypertrophy C2-C6 and with severe posterior osteophyte complex from C2-3/C5-6. Herniations at C3 to C5-6 with severe bilataral foramimal and canal stenosis at C4-5/C5-6 contacting cord. SURGEON REPORT: Moderate to severe cord compression C4-5/C5-6. Flattening cord at C4-5 Severe narrowing of the C5 nerve root. Cord is compressed, forced against lamina. C4-5/C5-6 worst. ADR suggested at C3-4, C4-5 and C5-6 Associated Diagnoses: Brachial Neuritis
Old 04-04-2015, 09:23 AM

Default Surgery Scheduled Day Of Consult

Thank you very much for commenting, and caring.
I had an appointment with a neurosurgeon proficient in the Mobi-C implant. He took one look at MRI report and scheduled surgery that day. I had surgery this past Monday. Doing pretty good, thanks.
I didn't tell him about the bowl or bladder issues, because he was so concerned about paralysis, and he treated me such respect, kindness and caring that I forgot!! lol I haven't had a surgeon even SHOW me the MRI pictures, or let me ask questions, nothing. And, for him to have been as kind as he was. I felt so---I don't have an adjective for how I felt. I was in tears when I left his office--giddy as school girl while still in his exam room. I was so excited, and just amazed someone was being nice to me. I was on cloud 9 on the drive home. His entire staff was terrific.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDotNet View Post
Whoever you get an evaluation from, make sure they understand this. With these symptoms, you need to go straight to the front of the line.
Mild bilateral facet hypertrophy C2-C6 and with severe posterior osteophyte complex from C2-3/C5-6. Herniations at C3 to C5-6 with severe bilataral foramimal and canal stenosis at C4-5/C5-6 contacting cord. SURGEON REPORT: Moderate to severe cord compression C4-5/C5-6. Flattening cord at C4-5 Severe narrowing of the C5 nerve root. Cord is compressed, forced against lamina. C4-5/C5-6 worst. ADR suggested at C3-4, C4-5 and C5-6 Associated Diagnoses: Brachial Neuritis
Old 04-04-2015, 09:26 AM

Default Surgery Covered By Insurance

Surgery was scheduled immediately after I saw a neurosurgeon proficient in the Mobi-C technology. The only money I had spend was on a driver, and hotel rooms for us night before surgery.

I am not in as much danger, and chances are quite likely I will not be in nearly as much pain as I was.
Thanks a bunch for caring to comment.
I have been absolutely desperate, and scared to death, for a few years now.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Boris View Post
Hi Renee,

I would advise not to spend your entire savings going abroad for surgery. Quite simply put there are no guarantees. I don't visit this site often but I felt a need to repy to your message.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:57 AM

Default Successful

I kept going, and found a surgeon about 4 hours from here proficient in the Mobi-C. He scheduled surgery immediately.
He said I was a good candidate for the surgery. I was worried I wouldn't be either.
Surgery was on 3/30. Was released the next day.
Thanks a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dema View Post
Hi Renee, sorry to hear about your suffering, and pray relief will be near!
I think Jeff makes a good point about a local surgeon, for follow-up care, but also depending on the condition of your discs and vertebrae, you may not be a good candidate for ADR.
If you are having problems with bladder & bowl movement, this could indicate pressure on the spinal cord, and you will need attention soon. I am not sure about your location, but from the surgeons I contacted in the US I liked Dr. Lauryssen (Los Angeles) & Dr. Wohns (Seattle).
Wishing you the best,
Dema/Raouf
Old 04-04-2015, 10:05 AM

Default Successful

Thank you for your advice. I had those concerns myself. I am very glad to share that I found a neurosurgeon that scheduled surgery immediately after seeing my MRI (it was *dangerous* mess, alright). I had surgery on 3/30.
I still have some more issues--Mobi-C only good for two levels as of right now.
It's all a start.
Now--My lower back.

Smiles
Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss View Post
Renee,

Sincerest condolences and welcome.

While I am a huge proponent of European ADR surgeries, you should know that they may not be appropriate for everyone. If your case is one that has a high incidence of excellent outcomes and a low incidence of complications and revision surgeries in the next several years, then you are a poster child for a foreign ADR surgery. If however you ... are "a mess", and will require extensive follow up and/or multiple surgeries, then there are significant problems with a foreign surgery when you need further surgery after returning home. Transatlantic communication and time zone differences aside, a great many US doctors will refuse to treat or even evaluate you. For subsequent care you will not get the US doctor of your choice, but rather the first one that is willing to see you, or even be required to borrow money to back to the European surgeon. If you are going to require long term follow up care and don't have money for much/most/all of that care in Europe, that is not a good formula.

If you condition is as extensive as it sounds, I would strongly encourage you to gain the support of the US doctor of your choice before traveling to Europe.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:01 PM

Congratulations on your surgery Renee! I'm glad everything eventually worked out well for you and that your insurance company stepped up to the plate. Sometimes it is the insurance company's fault and sometimes it is the doctor's office fault. I know the communication breakdown often drives me crazy! Navigating through our healthcare system is a challenge for all of us. Sadly, it can sometimes be detrimental to one's health and I'm so sorry you experienced this kind of failure. Thank goodness it's behind you now and you have a good surgeon in your corner. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

P.S. If you continue to have bladder and bowel trouble, I highly recommend you speak to your doctor or his nurse about it because it can turn into something serious.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 04-06-2015, 08:42 AM

Renee,

Congratulations on making to the other side and on finding a US surgeon that you like and trusted. I trust that a week out of cervical surgery that you're already feeling better than before surgery?

Please update us when you're able; and good luck!
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 04-06-2015, 08:56 AM

Default Similar

similar to JSS, I too have fusion at 4/5/6 peek cage at 3/4, which I wouldn't have done that one! thankfully my facet are in good shape going to Clavel for adr c6/7/t1 early may. I feel I have no choice even with the concerns post op back here. they are only giving me two options here: more fusion or do nothing either of which I'm screwed! prayers are welcomed. I feel that I have waiting to long, symptoms are so bad, and we don't leave for four weeks! we have to wire at least 65% of our money today. taking that plunge is scary!!!
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 04-06-2015, 05:53 PM

Congratulations Renee, that's wonderful news, finding a surgeon you like & trust and getting the surgery done so quick. Wishing you full & speedy recovery, and look forward to your future posts and love to know your symptoms pre & post surgery!
Dema & Raouf
, little effect on pain
Considering surgery (typical questions, which type & which surgeon!)