ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:01 PM

PainSupport Newsletter
Issue No.138, 12th February 2007

Editor: Jan Sadler

Special Issue – Sleep

One of the most frequent comments I receive in my post is how difficult it can be to get a good night’s sleep when you have pain. I've collected together some tips to help you enjoy more peaceful sleep. Even though you may be in pain, worry and anxiety are the most common cause of difficulties at night and so…

Tips for Peaceful Sleep

1. Daily Review: in the early evening, make a note of any unfinished tasks and worries you may have. Write down the next step to be taken. The next step may even be just to think about the problem the next day. Use this time as a dividing line between your day and your evening.

2. Write a list of your achievements during the day and moments of happiness or pleasure. Read the list before bedtime to fill your mind with positive images.

3. Keep regular hours. Get up and go to bed at the same time each day. Your body can 'learn' what time you want it to go to sleep and wake up. This includes weekends and holidays, or it may be harder to get to sleep the following night.

4. If you're not tired by 10.30, get up earlier. The time you rise controls when you need to go to bed - early to bed is best, as the best quality sleep is before midnight.

5. Use bed and bedroom for sleep only, and as far as possible, not for reading, watching TV or as an office. Your subconscious mind will gradually accept the idea that when you go to bed it is time for you to go to sleep.

6. Spend the last hour or so of the evening actually preparing for sleep by keeping activities (and lights) low-key and undemanding so that you are in a relaxed and quiet mood when it is time for bed - but don't become so relaxed that you fall asleep on the sofa!

7. At night, when it's quiet, there is nothing to distract you. This leaves your mind free to pick up on negative thoughts and feelings that may arise. Have a plan so you know what to do. Focus on relaxation techniques. If something is worrying you, write it down and shut the paper in a drawer in another room and tell yourself, 'I can deal with that tomorrow, NOW is for relaxing.'

8. If you’re still awake, try not to fidget, lie still and tell yourself that relaxation and resting quietly in bed will begin the restoration process. Go through a relaxation or visualisation exercise, either in your head or with a CD.

9. Get up if you are still awake after 15 - 20 minutes and do something quiet until you are ready to return to bed. Keep the lighting low and stay calm.

Use these ideas and you will soon be on your way to peaceful sleep!

Beds and Bedding

What makes for a comfortable bed is a very personal choice. Hard mattresses used to be recommended for back problems but this is no longer the case. Today a medium mattress that is soft yet very supportive is recommended, probably a ‘pocket sprung’ mattress. Some people get on well with Tempur-type foam mattresses, but there can be drawbacks to them, in particular they tend to make your hot at night and some people find it difficult to turn over on them. The best advice is to go to a shop and actually lie on their mattresses, at least 10 minutes on each, until you find one that you think is comfortable for you.

The same applies to pillows, if possible try before you buy. A variety of different size pillows are often very useful to prop parts of your body that may need some extra support. For instance if you have back pain you may find a pillow between your knees is very helpful. Or if you have arm pain you may like to support the arm with a small pillow. Experiment until you find what is comfortable for you.

Tip:

If you’d like some extra help, try Jan Sadler’s popular and successful CD ‘Peaceful Sleep’. It is particularly soothing and contains a beautiful and original visualisation. The CD comes with a useful booklet filled with more tips and techniques.

Peaceful Sleep CD

by Jan Sadler

Sleep virtually guaranteed!

Available from:

www.painsupport.co.uk

Websitse and Helpline for Sleep Advice

Insomnia Helpline: 020 8994 9874

www.sleepcouncil.org.uk

http://www.medicaladvisoryservice.org.uk

Relaxation Tip

This is a simple relaxation method you can use at night. Bring your attention gently to your breathing. Take a slow deep breath in through the nose, hold for a few seconds, and then exhale very slowly. Let your body sink down into the bed and let go… Repeat once more.

Natural Health Tip

Herbal ‘Sleeping Pills’

‘Valerina’ is a herbal remedy for peaceful sleep. It contains valerian, hops and lemon balm. Available from Boots the Chemist or by mail order:

www.medicherb.co.uk

Another natural product is Seditol which contains a blend of an extract from Magnolia officinalis and an extract from Ziziphus spinosa, a traditional plant used as a sedative in Traditional Chinese medicine for more than 2000 years. This combination is said to have resulted in a safe and effective natural ingredient for sleeplessness.

Seditol is available from Victoria Health (0800 3898 195) and costs £12.95 for 30 Capsules (365 mg). Dosage: One capsule one hour before bedtime.

www.victoriahealth.com

If you try Seditol, do let us know how you get on, won’t you?

Tool Kit

If you liked any of the above ideas why not keep them in your Tool Kit notebook or folder of self-help pain relief methods. Your Tool Kit is especially useful when pain flares up. It will give you constructive ideas to focus upon so you can move forwards.

The PainSupport Contact Club

An Invitation…

If you’re not already a member, why not join our highly successful and popular Confidential Contact Club? It is, of course, free! There are lots of lovely people out there who just happen to have pain in their lives but who are determined to make the most of things despite it all. YOU have much to offer them, and they have much to offer YOU. Ease the pain by sharing life's ups and downs with those who understand. Here is a wonderful message received from Joanna, an Australian PainSupport contact club member:

“Just a quick thank you for the last newsletter. I get such a lot from your newsletters. Also I am now regularly emailing a really nice lady from the Pain Support Club. We have similar problems and it is good to be in touch. Thanks again for your hard work. Joanna”

How to access the Contact Club...

Go to www.painsupport.co.uk

Click Making Contact

Click Main Menu on the left

Click Contact Club

You will then see "Wish to Join the Contact Club?"

Click where it says 'Please click here to Register' and complete the brief registration form.

Words of wisdom

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

- Quote from E. E. Cummings, 1894-1962, American Poet

And Finally…

First Woman : Whenever I'm down in the dumps, I get myself another hat.

Second Woman : I always wondered where you found them

Author Unknown

Editor’s Note

hope you find the above ideas useful. If you would like more information on any of the items above plus more ideas for pain relief, please go to the PainSUPPORT website, address below. You will also find details of my Downloads, CDs, tapes and books which contain many more methods for relaxation, pain and stress relief, confidence building and peaceful sleep. There is even a ‘Sitting Programme’ for those who find sitting a problem.

Keep smiling!

Jan at PainSupport
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 02-12-2007, 06:08 PM

I have a huge insomnia problem...been doing some research online about it and discovering that there could be a big hormone imbalance issue either caused by the lack of sleep, and/or increased and aggravated by the stress from dealing with chronic pain.

Wondering if anyone has had thorough testing of all hormones and if so what treatment was administered afterwards. It's so hard to get in to see an endrocrinologist and I'm not so confident a primary physician will know all the tests to administer. I am forced to go this route and wonder if anyone has any advice or been through some of the special tests beyond blood work.

Aside from Alastair's suggestions...I am really interested in knowing whether anyone has been tested for their homone levels for insomnia problems?

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 02-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Thank you Alastair, for sharing this; as well as your time today. LBP, I sent you a PM.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-13-2007, 11:27 PM

LBP, like you I have sleep problems. About 2 months ago, I started seeing a pain management doc and he did salivary hormone testing on me.
My hormones were/are totally whacked out, with my testosterone and cortisol levels both way too high. He had me do a liver detox and started me on a herbal med for nerve support and to lower the cortisol. It's called Phosphatidylserine. I also took Seratonin for a few weeks to get my body clock re-set.
I have noticed some improvement but still take a sleeping pill (Stilnox) about once per week.
Hope this helps.
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 02-14-2007, 03:24 AM

I wonder how many people are aware that coming off the Benzodiazepam family or being on them for too long also, can cause huge problems with their sleep patterns. I fell victim to this and I'm still struggling five years on. I was in so much pain, that only a large dose of Benzodiazepams plus morphine got me off to sleep, I was addicted!!!

I have been clear of them for almost 4 years now, but still have sleep problems.

These drugs are easily given by Drs, but really you should not be taking them for more than 2 weeks continuously.
Best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 02-14-2007, 05:45 AM

The class of drug is actually Benzodiazepine and Diazepam is the drug Valium. Benzo's are very addicting and have a very long half life. This means that it builds up in the body and takes a long time to be eliminated. Tolerance is established where it requires more of the drug to reach the desired effect. The withdrawal protocol involves a long, slow process of coming off of them and can produce severe withdrawal complications.

We utilize the benzo class to detoxify alcoholics from alcohol. It can be viewed as a pill form of alcohol.

Alastair is absolutely correct in stating that they can become addicting and can destroy normal sleep patterns. If you have not done so yet I would encourage you to go to a sleep clinic where they can monitor your sleep and make recommendations. You may have sleep apnea or are still having effects of the long-term use of the Benzo's.

Valerian Root is a natural supplement though when you look at the old lore behind Valium it was named after Valerian Root and most drugs, other than synthetics, involved herbology. There are other natural supplements that can be used as well as over-the-counter medications that can help. Benadryl, Tylenol PM, Diphenhydramine, etc. though the Diphenhydramine may cause problems on it's own.

Pain and loss of sleep are synonymous and cause concerns leading to the over prescribing of Benzo's. Benzo's are becoming fashionable again as an abusable substance and we are seeing more entries in to treatment as a result. A big caution to all is the addictive nature of these drugs. They are seductive as they work. If anyone is concerned of their use you may PM me.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 02-14-2007, 10:47 AM

Cathydownunder,

Thanks for the info! Good to know I'm about to ask my dr for something that's not totally crazy! Were you complaining about sleep issues to your pain mgmt dr which caused him to give you this test?

In a practical sense, how did the salvia test work? Did he just do it once in the office or did you have some kind of take home kit? I was reading on the internet that this test should be given at various times of the day and night. Just wondering how often you had to go to the dr's office to have it done, if more than once?

And what was involved in a liver detox?

Do you take pain meds before going to sleep in addition to sleeping pills?

When I used to be on ambien (post a prior surgery) I remember it only working for about 4 hrs, so while it helped me fall asleep, it didn't help me stay asleep. the newer ambien cr isn't covered by my insurance and is cost prohibitive.

Does your sleep medicine keep you sleeping through the night? do you feel hung over in the morning?

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 02-14-2007, 11:57 AM

Wow! What good timing for this post!

For the last couple of years, I have been going to bed around 10PM and wake up at 1 to 2 AM and cannot fall asleep again for a couple of hours. Then I feel like a zombie when I have to get up at 7AM.

I always thought my back pain was waking me up when I toss and turn during the night. I didn't think of the change in hormones because of the pain.

Very interesting.
L4/L5, L5/S1 herniated and bulging, Discogram confirmed
Three spinal nerve blocks, One SI joint nerve block, 8 wks of PT, pain/anti-inflammatory meds
L4/5, L5/S1 ProDisc ADR with Dr. Zigler at Texas
Old 02-14-2007, 12:25 PM

I've been reading summaries about what the various endocrine organs do with hormones.

came accross an article http://www.womentowomen.com/adrenalfatigue/index.asp?id...ords=reduce+cortisol which had a link to the following info:

"Signs and symptoms of adrenal fatigue
Stresses like a demanding job, raising a family, relationship issues, lack of sleep, financial pressures, improper nutrition, dieting, and unresolved emotional distress cause the adrenal glands to produce cortisol. However, when we ask our adrenal glands to chronically sustain high cortisol levels, they eventually become fatigued. The resulting adrenal dysfunction not only affects cortisol production, but also impairs the adrenals’ ability to produce and balance hormones like DHEA, estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone.

Symptoms of adrenal fatigue
The following symptoms are your body’s way of telling you that it is not receiving the support it needs to maintain healthy adrenal function.

Fatigue
Feeling tired despite sufficient hours of sleep
Insomnia
Weight gain
Depression
Hair loss
Acne
Reliance on stimulants like caffeine
Cravings for carbohydrates or sugars
Poor immune function
Intolerance to cold
Related conditions
Adrenal fatigue is a likely factor in several medical conditions such as the following:

Fibromyalgia
Hypothyroidism
Chronic fatigue syndrome
Arthritis
Premature menopause"

So for me personally, I've been focusing on cortisol which is heavily tied to stress levels. There's no shortage of stress when you are dealing with chronic pain that also causes you to fight your insurance company for surgery, to be unemployed, and ruin your credit...all of which makes sleep very difficult.

I am concerned about adrenal fatique since it's the adrenal glands that are releasing cortisol into blood stream. I've read cortisol plays a role in maintaining blood pressure, cardiovascular function, immune sys response, balances affects of insulin breaking down surgar for energy, regulates metabolism and responds to stress.

I've read hypothalamus in brain sends CRH to pituitary gland. The pituitary is involved in a number of hormones including ACTH (stimulates cortisol, the "stress hormone"), TSH (regulates metabolism, energy and nervous sys), LH (regulates estrogen), FSH (stimulates ovary release), and ADH (regulates water balance) among other things.

When hypothalamus sends CRH to pituitary it causes the pituitary to secrete ACTH which is a hormone to stimulate the adrenal glands.

The adrenal glands respond to incomming ACTH by releasing cortisol. and if adrenal glands strain to maintin high cortisol levels they can lose capacity to produce sufficient DHEA which is a precurser to estrogen, progesterone and testosterone.

Low DHEA can lead to fatigue, bone loss, loss of muscle mass, drepression, aching joints, lower sex drive and impaired immune function.

So my intrest was peaked to see if my pain causing sleep difficulty was causing my hormones to be out of whack to making my sleep problem turn into insomnia!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:32 PM

LBP re: the salivary hormone test. A kit was ordered by my doc and it came in the mail. Saliva was collected at 6am 12noon 6pm 10pm. The cortisol should be highest in the morning and dropping to be lowest at night. Mine were just sky high all the time.To test liver function, I had to abstain from caffeine and aspirin for 24 hours then take 2 caffeine tabs and 1 aspirin supplied in the kit before bed then collect a saliva and urine sample the next morning. These were all sent back to the lab and I saw my doc 2 weeks later for the results. Apparently my liver didn't process much of them at all.
I am borderline hypothyroid,several nodules in the thyroid (had a biopsy) have extreme muscle fatigue, insomnia, digestion problems and my hormones are all over the place. I personally think I have adrenal fatigue and/or a pituitary problem. As my naturopath said, " we keep treating the symptoms but not the cause". We just can't find the cause!
A lot of docs don't believe the salivary tests are very accurate and only go by blood test results, each to their own.
If you have some success please let me know.
PS. I only take half a Stilnox (Ambien). Because my body doesn't process drugs very well, a normal adult dose of anything is usually too much for me. I tried a Stilnox CR and within 5 mins I was staggering and went straight to sleep for 8 hours.
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008