ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:26 AM

Default Urgent-XL TDR candidate-Metal on Metal Concerns-Don't know what to do

Hello friends,
I want to start off by acknowledging how this forum has been for me a beacon of light in dark and stormy times over the last several weeks. Your feedback and advice, empathy for each other's pain, and ongoing support is truly remarkable and I am grateful to be a part of this community.

I'll provide the briefest of synopsis regarding my situation. In a sports related injury at 17 (1997) I herniated my l4/l5, which, after months of conservative treatment, led me to the operating table for a microdisctectomy. The surgery was a partial success and--like many before me--I overestimated what my back could handle over the next 13 years. Many a stupid activity did I and I suffered the consequences. . .

There were multiple disc bulges at l4/l5 that righted itself after steroid shots, osteopathic manipulation, physical therapy, time, etc. However, 6 months ago some critical event (not sure what it was) triggered a bulging disc that didn't right itself. An MRI (5 months ago) showed that there was annular tearing, DDD, and a bulging disc. Traditional methods (listed above) did not work and I have officially maxed out my steroid injections (4 in the last 4 months). Just had a follow up CT that supports the MRI's findings.

I'm in a great amount of pain that tends to be the worst when I fall asleep, which leads me to wake up at 4 in the morning on most days. I became desperate to the point where I considered fusion; that is, until I discovered ADR. Suffice to say, I became intrigued given the many stories that I was hearing about its success and there has been impressive literature over the last few years supporting its effectiveness.

Long story short. . . I discovered that there is a clinical study for the XL TDR that I am a candidate for and was really excited about it given the success of the XLIF. It's at Christiana Spine Center In Delaware and being done by Dr. Fisher. I was extremely excited up until the point where I began to read about metal-on-metal problems associated with other prosthetic surgical implants and now I am extremely nervous.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had the XL TDR procedure (or knows someone who has), if anyone has comments on metal on metal implants (e.g., safety, effectiveness, clinical stories, contraindications, warnings), and if anyone has personal experience with Christiana Spine in DE.

They're about to green light me and I want to make sure that I'm making the right decision. Many thanks in advance for your responses,

You humbled and scared friend,
-Chad
Old 09-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

drchadcoren,

I have no experience with either the device you are considering or the facility, however I DID want to welcome you to the boards and say how sorry I am that you have a need for them.

I'm sure one of our members will have better information on the different types of ADR devices out there that will help. But you also might want to try a search of the forum. I do remember reading something about the worthiness of different materials used in ADR's and the pro's/con's of them.

As far as the facility you are going to... I know my surgeon allowed me to talk to several of his patients prior to my surgery. I just asked if it would be ok and his staff connected me with a list of people. I chose which ones I called so it wasn't like they directed me to anyone in particular.

Best of Luck in your journey to health !!
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:49 PM

I appreciate the support, Toebin. That's a great idea and I'll try giving them a holler tomorrow. I suspect, however, because it's an investigational study, that they might not consider it kosher.

Warm regards,
-Chad

P.S.-In the event that the XL TDR study does not go through. I was given the referral of Dr McAfee in Maryland. Any thoughts about his practice, what discs he uses, or personal experiences?