ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:49 AM

Default 33/m spinal issues

Hey everyone! I am a 33 yo male with severe arthritis of the spine. Neurologist diagnosis: "Severe disk space collapse L5S1 w/central disk bulge and black degenerative disk L4-5 w/annulat rear."

My 1st visit to the neurologist he looked at my MRI and stated my L5 disk is basically gone. He stated that physical therapy would be a waste of time, i'm in great physical shape, aside from back issue.

I went for a cortisone(epidural) shot the next week, same Dr. I cont'd working and my bending and twisting of the waist began to produce even more pain. I contacted my neurosurgeon to inquire on more invasive procedures, since my disk is gone. I figured the cortisone is a temp relief, but the pain was still there.

Basically, I can move normally about my waist, until the pain worsens and I start to experience severe back muscle spasms.

The neurosurgeon submitted a pre-cert to my ins co Anthem bcbs...he requested approval for a Lumbar laminectomy and lumbar fusion PLIF L4-5, L5S1..

Anthem's response was "not medically necessary"and MRI doesn't support surgeon's claim of cause of pain. So, we appealed 1st level w/Discogram with another neurologist.

Results: Severely degenerative, severely painful L4-5 intervertebral disc which produced concordant low back and bilateral hip pain @ very low intradiscal pressurization(1.0 cc injected w/opening pressure of 17 psi/max 35psi...the pain was reported @23 PSI. nucleogram demonstrated posterocentral annular rent(Type V disc).

L5-S1: couldn't be cannulated utilizing the transpendicular approach due to severe posterior disc space collapse.

L2-3, severely degenerative, pain free
L3-4, normal appearing pain free.

The discogram was the test that my neurosurgeon said would show the problems clearly...it did, that was the 1st level appeal documentation sent.

Anthem bcbs denies appeal stating: The patient(member) has severe arthritis in the spine, but the medical literature shows that these surgeries are NOT likely to make the pain better. The member doesn't have other problems such as spinal stenosis, narrowing of spinal column, or an unstable spine.

Anthem then states, furthermore, a positive discogram is a poor indicator of a good result from a lumbar fusion surgery. A recent study found only a 27% success from spinal fusion for my case, vs a 72% success rate in patients having a well-accepted single-level lumbar pathology of unstable spondylolisthesis. (Carragee, 2006)

That's my to date situation. I'm appealing 2nd level w/2nd opinion from another neurosurgeon...Anthem has stated that a 2nd opinion won't reverse denial since it's an arthritis issue. My MAIN concern is the L5S1 collapse, as my spine is bone to bone w/S1.

7-9-10: Severe disc space collapse L5S1 w/central disc bilge and black degenerative disc L4-5 w/annular tear.--Neurologist diagnosis from MRI
Old 10-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Question

Welcome Bill!

I may chime back in later. In the meantime, can you be more specific about the arthritis assessment? And how are your facet joints? Do you have all copies of the radiologist report(s), e.g., discogram, MRI and XRay?

Please see this topic too: http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f51...ications-9620/
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-03-2010, 10:30 AM

the MRI as read by Neurologist, he simply stated the L5 is "basically gone"...during discogram, other Neurologist said he couldn't access L5 space due to severe collapse...the ins co didn't say much more about the arthritis than labeling it "severe"...nothing has been stated about the facet joints specifically. the L5 collapse, as the neurologist said, is only fixable with a decompression and insertion of some sort of disk.

the inso co 1st appeal denial basically stated the spine is stable aside from the arthritic condition.

personally, the L5 collapse is my biggest problem b/c too much movement about the waist and it gets very painful.

7-9-10: Severe disc space collapse L5S1 w/central disc bilge and black degenerative disc L4-5 w/annular tear.--Neurologist diagnosis from MRI
Old 10-03-2010, 10:42 AM

To add to my previous post, I don't want to do any kind of surgery if not necessary. I just don't know how else to "fix" the L5 collapse. I asked my neurologist about the techniques used to remedy the collapsed disk, he then talked about the PLIF L4-5, L5S1. I go to see another neurologist in about a week to get 2nd opinion of it. The 2nd neurologist is requesting my initial MRI films and new xrays.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Bill, I was asking specifically what the doctor(s) stated about your arthritis, and how advanced the degeneration of your facets are at L5-S1...this is important to know. Pls read the topic I provided earlier on contraindications for disc replacement.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate