ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:37 AM

well im not for the fusion but its not my back.
getting to and from germany isnt a picnic either.
dont fly usair there flight 14 and 15 both need new seats in 1st class.heheh and im sure you could have yourseft talked into by the end of the day.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 10-03-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
....both need new seats in 1st class.heheh and im sure you could have yourseft talked into by the end of the day.Smiler
Highly likely, if not by the end of the week.

Dr. Y's surgical coordinator should be preparing the paperwork sometime soon, so I can wait a week or two and see if anything happens.

David
Old 10-03-2006, 07:30 AM

david there is a questionair on pro spines web site you will need to fill out. if your bored of waiting
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 10-03-2006, 08:35 AM

David,
my cobra just expired but my last attempt to get a hybrid approved (fusion at L5/S1 with Charite at L4/5) was denied. I had Pacificare which was bought out by UHC. When I pressed, they conceeded that they would approve the fusion at L5/S1 but would not approve the adr at L4/5, and did indicate that they would approve at 2 level fusion (since I pointed out that the injury to my L4/5 is the same as to L5/S1).

I am now on a state health plan for people whose Cobra has been exhausted. Was hoping to try a 2 level pro disc claim ...until I read what you wrote about no off label use being allowed May have to try the hybrid approach with pro disc with my new ins. Good luck to us!

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 10-03-2006, 02:06 PM

The more I wait, the more I hope that my insurance company denies me. The instant they deny me is the instant that I re-contact Dr. B.

At least I will have tried everything I can, have been backed into a corner, and have no other available options.

David
Old 10-03-2006, 07:45 PM

David: Try looking on ispine - it's a new forum set up by Mark ******* for people who want the hard goods - Mark is a patient advocate who has observed dozens of spine surgeries, is friends with the top surgeons and has helped many. At any rate, he has a lending library that includes the proceedings of the main spine conferences - you might find a/some paper/s on the question you are agonizing over.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:11 AM

Thanks.

I have worked with Mark before, as he was the one that helped me contact Dr. Y, Dr. B, and Dr. Z about a year ago.

I tried going with Dr. Y, but his hands are pretty much tied now by the FDA and by Synthes.

I really have no other alternatives anymore. I can either do nothing, or I can go to Germany and get on with my life.

More than likely, by the end of this week, I will be forwarding Anita the last email I got from Dr. B, in order to start my visit to das Vaterland.

David
Old 10-04-2006, 05:23 PM

David,

You have been at this fare too long my vote is for Dr B and getting to the other side before more damage is done. You are worth the best and I would rather know you had 2 ProDisc riding that motorcycle then a fusion ProDisc combo. $ comes $ goes and it will always come again. Don't let $ keep you in this hell of a place you are in. My thoughs are with you on this very difficult decision.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 10-05-2006, 04:54 AM

Paulette,

Agreed 100%. I waited this year, hoping to have surgery with Dr. Y, but it just isn't going to happen.

I will be contacting Dr. B's office shortly, as soon as I can coordinate with my parents, since they will be going with me.

Looks like I will find out what Germany is like in the winter (I was in München during the summer, years ago).

David
Old 10-06-2006, 12:43 AM
Banned

David,
Remember me..still waiting to see if WC is going to authorize a fusion at L5S1 and ADR at L4. It's been denied already, then the CA. WCAB sent me to 2nd surgical opinion (a formal one) who actually agreed with the other surgeons re a feasible idea. Now I guess I still have another years worth of waiting to find out the next move by WC...

I'm pretty sure no matter what you hear from the insurance company that even with appeals you're still going to beat me to having some kind of surgery done!!!

take good care! Maria