ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:30 PM

Default Strange symptom

Hello everyone. I am new to the board and did post an introduction however it was in the wrong area. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced a symptom like the one I am about to describe.

If I tap the back of my head (where my skull transitions to my neck) just to the left I feel a shock into every area that hurts. This includes both arms into the hands, lower parts of the legs and feet, left side of my head and face.

I have (what the doctors consider) a small herniation at c5-6 that causes moderate central stenosis. At first I thought that somehow the herniation was hitting the cord when I would tap my head/neck, however c5-6 is located much lower in the neck. Also when I hit my neck over where c5-6 is it does not hurt in any way. Somehow the spinal cord is being involved here, but I wonder how.

If anyone has experienced something similar I would appreciate their input. Also, I have brought it up to numerous doctors and I get the "you must be crazy" stare from them.

Herniations/Buldges @ C4-5, C6-7, C7-T1, T1-2, T3-4, T6-7, T11-12
Old 04-28-2009, 03:15 PM

No replies.....Anyone?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator

"...If I tap the back of my head (where my skull transitions to my neck) just to the left I feel a shock into every area that hurts. This includes both arms into the hands, lower parts of the legs and feet, left side of my head and face..."

Sorry J, it sounds unsusual. That may explain the lack of replies. Is it possible it relates to your last surgery?

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-03-2009, 01:26 PM

This sounds very similar to the pain a friend of mine has. I believe it is called RPS; however, I'll check and respond next week.

The problem is that the top Austin surgeons are concerned about proceding on cervical fusion, because the RPS, make the situation more risky.

As mentioned, I'll follow up next week. However, I wanted to get the response out quickly to show there may be another with a similar situation.

-Dave
Intrepid Fusion L4-L5, 7/08
Increasing pain since solid fusing, 1/09
Bilateral Transforaminal Injections 3/09
Facet Joint Injections (L3-S1) 4/09
RF Ablation (Medial Branch) 5/09
CT Scan, MRI w/ contrast (no new info) 5/09
Latest:
- I wake up with no pain
- Stand/sit for 15 mins., pinching pain begins
- Pain at center, core L4-L5
- Lying down, pulsing/throbbing pain for 2-3 hours
- Taking 6 Norcos/day
Old 05-05-2009, 03:09 PM

Hey thanks for the reply. If you mean Regional Pain Syndrome or complex regional pain syndrome I don't think I have it. While I have some of the symptoms, the more defining symptoms of CRPS I do not have and it has been over 18 months.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:34 AM

Default from the man who knows nothing

there are a lot of moving parts back there and your description makes me think there is simply a few nerves that get pinched when you move a certain way. maybe a bone spur is right next to some nerves and it only impinges them slightly when you do what you describe.

keep in mind that raising your arm to tap your head could also add to the mechanics of causing a temporary impingement. how far are you out of surgery?

this may resolve itself or you may just need to be resigned to it. i had surgery 4 weeks ago and I still don't know what to expect with various symptoms still present on and off.

Dave
Good luck!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:25 PM

jc,

Have you ever had your lumbar area checked? People with cervical disc problems are more prone to develop lumbar problems and the reverse is true as well.

Please check out http://www.backpain-guide.com/Chapte...culopathy.html It is an explaination of dermatomes and why the docs may have questions about symptoms.

There can be quite a bit of overlap in dermatomes. It is not a clearly diferentiated line but generally is correct.
Had minimally invasive PLIF with internal fixation on 12/28/09 for isthmic spondylolisthesis of L5-S1 (TDR contra-indicated) DDD at L3-4 & L4-5, All L-Spine doing well. Episodes of no pain at all. After being relatively pain free for 4 months, C-Spine gave up. MRI due 11-1
Old 09-08-2009, 06:15 PM

I've had this phenomena too, and when I asked my PT about it he thought it was most likely the Dura Mater, the Dura protects the cord and run through your body. It is very sensitive and when inflamed it can transmit pain from top to toe, along its course.

Disc degeneration might lead to an inflammatory response affecting nerve roots, but also surrounding structures as the Dura Mater. When you lift your arm you stretch muscles and the dura mater as well. But maybe there are other explanations, the body is complicated, structures connect with each other.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:33 PM

I'm in agreement with Kanutta. I am a physical therapist and do a technique called CranioSacral Therapy that works on the dura (the covering over your brain, spinal cord and nerve roots.) I would highly recommend getting a skilled CranioSacral Therapist to work on you. If you send me your e-mail, location and zip code I can assist you in finding someone good in your area.
Lisa

I just had my surgery on Sept 5 and so far so good but the first thing I will be doing when I get back to the states is have a CranioSacral Therapist work on me!
Lisa

9/5/09 C5/6 & C6/7 Spinal Kinetics M6 in Stenum, Germany