ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Question Second & third opinions....

AJ, good point -- now is the time to get as many diagnostic opinions as possible!

Symara, which facet is cracked? What imaging did the doctor have that led to this finding -- was it different than the imaging the other docs used? Sometimes, the imaging equipment between different doctors can (and usually does) make all the difference in the world. That's why some patients will travel to other states to get a much closer look -- literally.

I suppose I would be concerned if two different doctors looked at the same imaging, and only one found the cracked facet. Is this the case?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-24-2009, 07:39 AM

Harrison,

The Dr in chicago and here both did x-rays. That's how the Dr in Chicago saw the cracked facet joint.

My neurosurgeon never did x-rays, just the MRI. His theory was that the discectomy would work because I wasn't in constant pain since my last surgery 2 years ago. I asked him about stability and he said I would be fine. But these two Dr's have stated that is wrong and even implied it could make me worse.

I think the facet he was showing us was the either the L4 or L5, not sure which exactly. It was on the x-ray, not the MRI. I just don't understand why the neurosurgeon never did an x-ray if you got different information from it than a MRI. I feel like he was really just trying to rush the surgery through and wasn't looking at me close enough. I wonder if I had gone to someone else the 2nd time if I would be in a better place right now.
MRI May 5th - showed "moderate sizd protruding disk in the the left paracentral location at the L4-5 level which appears to a more porminent comparison to the prior examination" and "appears to impinge upon the exiting nerve root"
May 11th Dr Apptment - Told that another Discsectemy could be done.

Looking for Surgeon for second Opinion