ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:40 AM

Iam new here so bear with me! I have been told I need an anterior fusion @ C5-6 & C6-7. I have spurs narrowing herniated discs almost bone on bone. I have done everything as far as PT MRI etc. I have seen several Dr.'s & finally went to the Dr. that did my L3-4 L4-5 S1 fusion. He was the one who said I needed the fusion. I asked about ADR & he pretty much dismissed the idea. I fell at work down some steps 6-2-2006 hurt my ankle,knee,yanked my shoulder about off holding onto the rail trying not to fall so hard on my butt & lower back cos allI could think of was oh no not my back again!! I didn't realise my ankle hurt until I tried to go back up the steps & it would't hold me up. I did the employee health er xrays all of it like you are suppose to do to report an accident. I thought afterward I was just stiff & strained from the fall so all the Dr.'s concentrated on my ankle until I finally got to hurting really bad in my neck arm hand shoulder & lower back & pinching when I try to lay on my sides also numbness in lower back & in leg:was mostly on the R side but has started into left as well. I tried to work but my ankle kept swelling & hurting so was took out 9-30-2006 & am still out I go for a C T scan on my ankle tomorrow & that is the last test I think can be done as have done all the rest! Dr wants to do the fusion April 4th but I want some more information before I get fused anywhere else. Any help with any of this will be greatly apperciated. I have done all they told me to do & so far it hasn't helped I hurt all the time now & have had a headache of some degree since July!! I am an active person & hate to be still & my flower bed has really been calling to me! I am a Respiratory Therapist & I really miss that as well. I haven't gotten a thing yet from workers comp but grief! I was denied at the beginning cos a Dr. didn't put a definite diagnosis down. It finally got reversed but for only my ankle!So now I can either start the battle all over for my back neck shoulder or just go through my insurance! I just know I need some releif soon. I also am not into taking pills I'd rather be fixed than dopped up!Sorry was so windy.Again any help will be GREATLY APPERCIATED.I am in the Atlanta Georgia area
Jackie
Old 03-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Hey Desert Brat! Sorry for the delayed welcome!

It sounds like you may benefit by have a clear understanding of your diagnosis and treatment options. As well, we can help you find an experience spinal surgeon who also performs arthroplasty – like ADR. Have you had any luck with your PCP referring you to another surgeon?

Let’s talk again soon…
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-27-2007, 09:12 AM

Harrison,
Thanks for contacting me. No my Dr hasn't refered me to anyone here & that was one of my ? Does anyone know of a Dr. in the Atlanta Ga area?The one I am seeing wanted to do an anterior fusion at C5-6 C6-7 only cos the ins won't pay for an ADR. I fell at work in june 2006 did the report that I stated hurt R ankle,knee,hip/low back & shoulder.I got denied then I appealed & got it reversed but only for my R ankle & was told couldn't have the others added. I have had in 1998 L4-5 L5-S1 fused anteriorly the in 2000 L3-4 posteriorly fused with hardware placed then in 2000 had to have hardware removed. Was doing great till I fell this past june!! Now I am constantly in pain can't lay on either side it pinches my R arm shoulder into thumb & hand hurt I drop things to!Next Question is has anyone done a clinical trial? Sorry so long just I have a lot of ??? Tahnks for all the help
Old 03-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Administrator

DB,
You can find surgeons several ways. There’s the “word of mouth” via this forum, as well as using a search tool from Depuy Spine and Synthes; see:

http://www.charitedisc.com/charitedev/domestic/locator/

I can’t locate the Synthes (Prodisc) locator (ironic, eh?!) maybe some helpful person can locate it (other than the SpineUniverse static page).

More soon…hang in there!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate