ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Insurance Hell

Insurance Hell All insurance-related matters are here: Medicare, worker's compensation, appeals, denials, insights, wins, losses. PRICING is here too. Note: This forum has posts from 2006 forward. Older ones are in the Big File.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Default Need evidence that Medicare Advantage plan has paid for 2 level Lumbar ADR surgery

Hi everyone,

I have Social Security disability and Medicare ins with Cigna as the Medicare advantage plan. I am appealing a denial for a 2 level surgery with Medicare. I have been working on this all year. I am up to the Medicare Appeals Council level. The next level is the highest, Federal Court, won't that be fun!

Anyway, both Medicare and Cigna are only approving me for a single level. If anyone has had a 2 level surgery paid for by a Medicare advantage plan, I would like to get a copy of maybe an approval letter for surgery or a "Medical claim detail" for surgery services already paid. I think this would really help my case. I only have until Jan 15 2010 to send it to the Medicare Appeals council. If anyone can help me, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks, Juli
2004- Had to quite work, chronic pain.Living on Social Security Disability and Medicare + Pain meds.
2005- 2 level IDET- Did nothing to help, made pain worse.
Sept 2008-Flew to Plano to see Dr. Zigler, Oked 2 level ADR.
Oct 2008-Denied by Medicare now appealing for surgery.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Default Sorry for the late reply

Juli,

By now, you've probably done some deep digging through the Medicare regs, so you may already know about these:

However, replacement of purchased equipment can be made for:
Certain prosthetic devices (which replace all or part of an internal body organ, or replace all or part of the function of a permanently inoperative or malfunctioning internal body organ. Some examples include Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (PEN), insertion trays, catheters, drainage bags, skin barriers, lumbar-sacral orthosis (LSO), prostheses (leg, foot, breast, knee, ankle), cardiac pacemakers, prosthetic lenses, maxillofacial devices, and devices which replace all or part of the ear or nose.)
Limited orthotic devices (items used for the correction or prevention of skeletal deformities. Some examples include a shoe that is an integral part of a leg brace or special shoe and inserts used for the prevention or management of foot ulcers in diabetics.)
http://www.medicareadvocacy.org/FAQ_PartB.htm

Also, see attached...and also the fine print.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fact_Sheet_2009_Spine[1].pdf (62.4 KB, 6 views)
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate