ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Default New Member C6-C7 Prodisc-C Case Scheduled

New member here with a C6-C7 cervical disc replacement (prodisc-c) scheduled. Physician offered a new disc on disc study (1:1 randomization with new DePuy Discover disc to Prodisc-C), but suggests that I do this commercially (outside of a study) as my insurance will cover it (BCBS). Says that we can do the other if we have insurance issues and I have a 50-50 chance of Prodisc-C. Just looking to make sure I am doing the right thing versus overseas travel and newer disc design, or even study disc versus prodisc-c, etc...

My symptoms include cervical radiculopathy effecting the ulnar nerve in my left arm. This has been constant (pins and needle numbness) for 8 months. I have some limited ROM in my neck as well as some weakness in my left arm. No real pain, just nerve issues that sometimes effect my ability to hold things in my left hand (dropping glasses on way to sink, etc). I have had 2 MRI's and have seen everyone from a Chiropractor, to a DO (board certified in neuromulkuloskeletal diseases), and two orthepedic surgeons. My inital MRI was read by the radiologist as all ok. When I took that MRI to the first Orthepedist, he showed me that it was inconclusive (all fuzzy) below c4. He ordered another MRI at a closed MRI (first one was open) (to get better imaging) and it shows c6-c7 disc herniation. I went through several weeks of physical therapy and was in excrutiating pain everytime we did traction (needed Vicodin to be able to sleep after PT). I had the same MRI reviewed by a second physician (MD#2) and he said that my c6-c7 was "not that bad" and that I should just live with the numbness and try having an epidural steroid injection. I then had the epidural steriod injection done by (MD #1) and my ROM was dramitically improved for about 2-3 months. Now it is back where I started. The numbness had not changed after the ESI.

This brings me to today. I was referred to this physician (MD#1) by a local spine sales rep (who has been in several cases with this physician and seen him work), who is a personal friend, and assures me that he is one of the best operators, most progressive, and also one of the busiest in the area in regards to treating spine issues (I specifically asked him who he would go to that is both good, but also does a lot of cases like this, as I do not want to be in his first 50 cases). I am a little concerned in that all of the stories that I read online regarding people who have disc replacements refer to their pain being gone. I do not have pain to start with, however what I do have is very annoying numbness from my elbow to my little finger that never goes away! I met with MD#1 (who I am scheduled with) for about 30 minutes the other day and we discussed the procedure in general. He assures me that I am a great candidate for this and that it is relatively simple and I should experience relief from my symptoms as soon as the nerve root compression from my disc is relieved.

Last edited by winecaptain; 05-13-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: trying to add new signature
Old 05-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Hey WC, someone will chime in soon with some comments. In the meantime, pls read this post:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f58...-health-11053/

Thanks!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 PM

hopefully this adds my saved signature with more details.
41 y/o Male, Successful Disc Arthroplasty Procedure (Prodisc C in Tampa, FL) with excellent outcome June 2011... January 2012 had 3rd episode of "throwing out my back", Lumbar Pain radiating down buttocks and into both legs, MRI shows centrally Herniated L5-S1, Bilateral S1 ESI scheduled beginning March 2012...
Old 05-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Thx winecaptain. A few comments from the peanut gallery:

- both designs are "proven," though the ProDisc has been implanted in cervical patients all over the planet.

- cleated designs like the ones employed with Discover remove less bone, are less injurious/involve less blood loss and are far easier to revise in the event of any complications post-operatively. Accordingly, the risk for heterotopic ossification with cleated design is lessened. This has been known among doctors and patients for many years.

I can't provide clinical data, but my observation is that HO occurs more frequently with keeled designs, including the Prodisc and even the Spinal Kinetics M6. We have seen this many times on this community; certainly not all cases are mentioned here. There have been a number of revision surgeries with ProDisc and the M6 this year, but some patients are reluctant to post these outcomes here.

Public Service Announcement: People, please post if you have complications! It will help many others in so many ways.

Frankly, WC, the majority of spine patients with cervical issues do well with fusion or most modern disc replacements.

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate