ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:52 AM

Good morning!

I am waiting for my Dr. to get a preauth from my insurance co., Pacificare. Has anyone had any experience with them approving an ADR?

I'm almost to the point where I'll opt for a fusion (yet again) to try to address this pain which has been "stepped up 10 notches"

Just don't know if I can wait through the whole process. Anyone had to deal with them on this?
PLIF L5/S1 - hdwr removed when C6/7 revision
PLIF L4/5 & Dynesys L3/4 10/10/06. Looking forward to living again.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:53 PM

Denied.

Now on to the appeals process.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:43 PM

I have also been denied. I am in the appeals process.
I have heard that they have approved the ADR for some patients. Dr Regan's office has had some successes.

Mary
Old 12-05-2005, 12:32 AM

I urge you to NOT give up. I am in the process of digitizing my appeal and will make it available to whoever needs it.

First and foremost, call or write to DePuy to get the appeals packet. It has an enormous amount of information along with guidelines for appeal. I used information from there as well.

On your denial letter, there should be some info as to what to do if you want to appeal the decision. Call or make an appointment with your doctor so that he can write a letter for the appeal. Remind him of anything that you would like stressed in his appeal letter. I made sure that my DR. stressed the fact that I have a broken bone that I was either born with or happened from a fall.

You must be persistant as the insurance co's knee jerk reaction is to deny. Keep following thru all of the processes.

Try to keep yourself comfortable in the meantime. If you do not have a pain management dr., get one. There is NO reason to be in pain. Also, make sure that your bed is comfortable - I just purchased a Tempur-pedic and it made a HUGE difference for me. Also, ICE, ICE, ICE!!! I hope that these few suggestions have helped. They give me some relief.

I will post all my info when it is ready - Good luck.

Missing Facet Joint L5-S1
Collapsed Disc L4-5
DDD L3-4
Severe Stenosis
Disco + 3 levels
Sched. Oct. 11 - 2 level ADR & fusion
Dr. John Regan - L.A.
Awaiting approval!
[URL=http://www.lauracedar.com/XrayGallery]www.lauracedar.com/XrayGallery[/U
Old 12-05-2005, 03:31 PM

I am in the appeals process with Pacificare.
I would like to see someone's approval letter.
They have approved many ADR's with Dr Regan.
I don't know what's up. I just called for the appeals package with DuPuy.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:10 PM

My dr. is doing the appeals process for me - just did a letter with all accompanying medical reports, etc.

They have sent a power of attorney (of sorts) for me to sign and give to my dr. to allow him to act on my behalf.

Still waiting, but won't give up. In the mean time, am pursuing the possibility of some facet blocks to see if my facets are more involved than originally thought.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:55 PM

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr After numerous calls to Pacificare regarding my appeals, after being told finally on 12/30 that because of the holidays that the appeal won't even be looked at until the first of January sometime (They recieved it on 12/21 and forwarded it to the "powers that be" on 12/22)

After calling yesterday being the squeeky wheel, they informed me that the appeal had infact been denied on 12/22!!!! Why the *&^#($*&) didn't they tell me that on 12/27, 28 or 30 when I called previously? And, how can someone make a determination on the quality of someone's life in a mere 1 day???

I AM SO ANGRY! Dr. P's office is calling them as they were never notified either, but Pacificare told me they were notified on the 22nd. Does any of this sound fishy to anyone other than me? What the (&)* is going on?

Sorry, just had to spew
Old 01-11-2006, 05:25 PM

Nope, doesn't sound fishy at all. It seems to be an automatic denial. they are not budging and at least in CA, the CA dept of insurance doesn't seem to want to force them to change their mind
Old 01-11-2006, 06:08 PM

GRRRRR is right! Sorry to hear of your latest obstacle. I hope Dr. Pettine's office has better luck. Too bad we can't have voodoo dolls to use and subject those insurance companies to some back pain. (Not that we'd wish that on anyone, but it may help them understand how we're feeling.)
Old 01-12-2006, 10:37 AM

Well LBP, you're exactly right. Apparently Pacificare is from CA because PC faxed a form to Pettine to send to the Insurance Commissioner of CA. So, that's the next step.

Hi, Mars. I'm really discouraged right now. Like I have the money to pay for the prosthetic! Anyway, I'm used to the new pain levels now so I guess I can wait a while longer. Once Prodisc is actually approved through FDA, then we might try again. I'm not sure how long we have to wait to try a preauth again.

Sometimes life just sucks. Not all the time - thankfully! I pray you're continuing to improve day by day. You're an inspiration. I just wish I were a candidate for the trials. Oh well....