ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 PM

Mac -

I know which doc you are speaking of, and yes, he is one of the best. You couldn't be in better hands.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmca View Post
Ken,

Thank you for the informative response. Let me ask you this.... I have been speaking to a doc that has done 350 ADRs, has done 10 years of clinical experience, and has been involved in many studies related to ADR and Fusion. Does this level of experience I describe strong or not? My problem is that I have not a benchmark from which to measure this by. Thanks!

Mac
44 yr old male
Internal Disc Disruption at L5-S1 only
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 PM

Hi Mac and welcome!
I'm a new person to the website too, and believe me, it is daunting at times. But SO helpful.
I too canceled a much too soon fusion (mine is cervical) after my initial diagnosis, and spent some time looking for the best doctors. I would say that if your doctor is at Texas Back you have found a good one. I think many people here would agree. I am fortunate to live closer than you do.
Good luck with your search for information and your best outcome.
DAnn
C6-7 disc moderately to markedly narrowed, mild retrolisthesis of c6 on c7 producing effacement of the thecal sac but no cord impingement, mild narrowing of left neural foramen;
c5-6 disc moderately narrowed, anterior and posterior disc bulge with mild anterior cord impingement;
c4-5 disc intact and normal height, potential posterior annular fissure.
Cervical hybrid surgery in Texas April 12, 2011, fusion at C6/7, Prodisc C at C5/6
Old 02-03-2011, 05:00 PM

DAnn,

Thank you for your input. It helps to further confirm that I have made a good choice. The plane flight is a bit expensive, but when you live in Nashville, TN, I'm finding I am limited. I wish you well with your adventure. Keep the faith!

Mac

Age 44
Male
Internal Disc Disruption (Annual Tear) @ L5-S1
Discogram Confirmed Faulty Disc - Lit me up!
Considered "Good Patient Selection" for ASD
Fusion was Scheduled, Cancelled on 1/27/11
Considering ADR
Old 02-04-2011, 02:33 PM

Default Feedback Request - Lumbar ADR Patients - Texas Back Institute

Hello ADR support community. If you would be so kind as to provide me with feedback regarding your individual experience with the doctors at Texas Back Institute and the general surgeons who performed the ADR approach. So far my research has confirmed positive feedback. However, I wanted to solicit feedback from the group at large to see if I can learn more. As I move closer to ADR I want to further minimize my risks. Please include the following if you don't mind:

- Year you had ADR?
- Your doctor's name?
- Would you recommend your doctor?
- Which disc did you receive (Prodisc-L or Charite III or other)
- What level was replaced (L5-S1,...etc.)?
- How are you doing?
- Would you do it again?

Thank you,

Mac

Age 44
Male
Internal Disc Disruption (Annual Tear) @ L5-S1
Discogram Confirmed Faulty Disc - Lit me up!
Considered "Good Patient Selection" for ASD
Fusion was Scheduled, Cancelled on 1/27/11
Considering ADR
Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 PM

Hey Mac,

I live in Franklin so we must be close. I have found the trips back and forth to Dallas have been easier than expected. Dr. Guyer is excellent. His colleague, Dr. Zigler did my surgery. I will not bore you with the details but I ended up enrolling in a clinical trial for my ADR surgery. I had a 50/50 chance of getting the ProDisc or the Freedom. I remember thinking it was so extreme to travel hundreds of miles away for a consult, let alone spine surgery.

Looking back, my choice was spot on. I know you have spoken with Dr. Guyer. Have you been to Plano to see him? Which way are you leaning? I flew from Nashville to Dallas on a Wednesday and had my surgery the next day. That following Monday I flew home. I was Dreading the flight home, but it was not so bad. We had a wheelchair arranged for me at the airport. Let me know if you have any questions. There is a Holiday Inn across the parking lot from TBI. My stay there was great.....quiet with comfortable beds. Texas Back Institute is about 30 minutes from the DFW airport.

Good luck and I hope you are hanging in there without too much pain.
CD
LBP for 2 to 3 years-much worse since April '09
44 visits to chiro in 6 months
PT & ESI (failed)
Discography/CT -positive at L4-L5, annular tear & bulge
three denials from UnitedHealthcare for ADR
Surgery 2/18/10-Freedom Lumbar disc L4/L5