ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:54 AM

Default Post op recovery days before flight home

Hello all, I'm in the process of obtaining L4-5 LDR consults from Dr Clavel and Dr. Biren Desai. If l am a candidate and proceed, I'd like to get an idea how much time to calendar myself overseas following the surgery before flying home to the states.

Also report your activity progression from hospital release to day of flight, and any flight related pains, or helpful tips.

# days in hospital, # days after hospital release before flying home.
L Spine:
Clavel
Desai
Lang
Rische
Bertagnoli
Bierdsted
Others

# days in hospital, # days after hospital release before flying home
C Spine:
Clavel
Desai
Lang
Rische
Bertagnoli
Bierdsted
Others

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:43 PM

Hello,

I believe 2 weeks would be a recommended minimum time of stay. I highly recommend booking a flexible return ticket, so that you may change it, if your recovery is slow or there are complications.

I do not recommend choosing the surgeon based on recovery times. Not only would it be difficult to find reliable data, but the recovery time would not at all correlate with the success of the surgery. A more "thorough" cleaning of your spine could lead to a slightly slower initial recovery, but could yield a more stable result.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Just curious what you are not considering ADR here in the states? It's been practiced now for 17 years.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-28-2017, 11:45 PM

Hi Harrison, in the states, like TBI, they implant ActivL ($35,000 total package).
I prefer the LP-ESP disc (Dr. Biren Desai $15,800 total package). Its not just pricing, but the technology of the implant and skill of surgeon. I've researched the different discs and its led me to LP-ESP. If its not a fit for my X-Large vertebrae, he'll do an M6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7T74bRip2g

Here is response from Desai about my X-large vertebrae:

As you mentioned, the sizes of the TDR´s on the market are different and there could be a mismatch between the patient vertebra and the implant.
In more than 90 % of all patients the diameter and size of the LP-ESP fits well, because the Disc is placed on the cortical ring of the vertebra. It has not to cover all of the surface of the vertebra. In my opinion only very big /tall patients may have a problem with a TDR which ends in the center of the endplate. In these cases we might see a subsidence of the TDR into the endplate of the vertebra.
I saw this phenomena only twice. In both cases the patient was male and over 198 cm tall.

We can also Implant the M6 but in my history and opinion the LP-ESP is the experienced and better implant.
In doubt we prepare both of the implants and decide during the procedure. If the M6 trial fits better, we choose M6.

Please send me the CD with MRI to the address:

Dr. Biren Desai
Head of Department Spine Surgery
Dreifaltigkeits-Krankenhaus Köln-Braunsfeld
Aachener Straße 445 - 449
D-50933 Köln
Germany