PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Admission Testing-Will Insurance Pay

ansnj
05-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Has anyone had their insurance carrier pay for pre-admission testing done in the U.S. for surgery to be done abroad?

Am contemplating going that route if my insurance(CIGNA) would pick up the tab.
Thanks!

NJ Gene
05-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Absolutely!! However, you need a U.S. doctor to order the tests. That is why I suggested in another posting that the easiest thing to do is take the e-mail you received from the Doctor overseas to a walk-in clinic. Most of the pre-op tests are things done in the normal course of a physical. Unless you have a good relationship with your personal physician and are not concerned that he/she will try to talk you out of going abroad, I would go to someone you don't know (i.e. walk-in clinic). Obviously, you do not volunteer to the insurance co. that this is for overseas surgery. I actually had all this done myself (the way I am suggesting you do this) for surgery with Dr. Bierstedt. In my case, it turned out I could get by without ADR, so I ended up not going. Most walk-in clinics are convenient in that they can perform all the tests necessary at their location in one visit. Blood test results are usually ready within 48 hours.

newleaseonlife
05-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Also, if you are going abroad many surgeons include the pre-admission testing in the package price. Check so that you don't end up paying for something twice. :)

ansnj
05-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Thank you both for responding positively. I did ask what the deduction would be if I have the pre-op testing done here and I was told 310 euro would be deducted. Whatever I can save and process through my insurance will be money saved. I don't think my doctor will give me a hard time, as long as he gets his co-pay, he should be fine. :clap:

jss
05-03-2013, 07:59 AM
BCBS-TX also covered all my pre-surgery stuff done in the US.