PDA

View Full Version : February 25 can't get here soon enough!

ian
01-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Well, it's been a long time coming, but I've booked a date for L4/L5 ADR. Didn't quite seem real until I booked the flight. It came down to Dr. Clavel and Dr. Bierstedt. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either surgeon. I spoke with both of them and believe I'd be in good hands regardless which doctor I selected. But I ended up choosing Dr. Bierstedt only because I felt their aftercare and rehab arrangements were a little better. I so wanted some paella, too.

For those considering ADR I highly recommend scheduling appointments to speak with Doctors Clavel and Bierstedt. You will find them vey receptive and engaging.

I can't wait to celebrate a successful surgery with a cold German lager!

Jen93312
01-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Oh yay! Congrats! I bet you feel like a big weight has lifted.

FranklySir
01-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Best of luck Ian. Will keep you in my thoughts for a very good outcome. Take it slow and steady. Try green juicing for edema and inflammation when you get back. it really helped me alot both times. 2nd time i gained 20lbs of fluid lumbar and the juicing kicked it right out of me not to mention all the drugs.

Keep us posted on your outcome and recovery.

Wishing you peace of mind and a well body. Manage your expectations as well and take your time. 20 years to get here and time to get well too.......

Frank

ian
01-28-2014, 11:04 PM
So Frank, how are you doing a month out from surgery?

Best of luck Ian. Will keep you in my thoughts for a very good outcome. Take it slow and steady. Try green juicing for edema and inflammation when you get back. it really helped me alot both times. 2nd time i gained 20lbs of fluid lumbar and the juicing kicked it right out of me not to mention all the drugs.

Keep us posted on your outcome and recovery.

Wishing you peace of mind and a well body. Manage your expectations as well and take your time. 20 years to get here and time to get well too.......

Frank

FranklySir
01-28-2014, 11:28 PM
Ian,

This week started out great. Been nerve pain free from day one. My only issues really have been with the stomach being that I'm a big guy with a lot of muscle Clavel had to get through. He warned me. To make it worse I was just peaking at the gym when i finally blew out the Lumbar and had enough so it helps and hurts getting all that cut through.

Anyway, it is kinda weird you will find as in one day you will feel like crap then the next like nothing ever was done. Today was one of those great normal days.

I feel very good and very optimistic but cautious to remember that this is not magic and we are and have lost part of our natural body. There is at lest for me a sense of loss but I'm happy that I wont miss a lot of time with my kids in agony. i expect ups and downs but less downs now. It won't be the same but much better than losing months every year in pain.

I wish you peace of mind and a great outcome.

Stonewall_Boris
01-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Ian,

Congrats on the decision. That's one hard thing to get through. I somewhat understand your relief, but for me it my relief was when the plane took off, that was my point of no return.

Like yourself, I don't think you can not go wrong with Dr. Bierstedt or Dr. Clavel.

Did you get a copy of Ken's tips for surgery in Germany? A must read before you go. It lists a lot of things that previous patients have commented on. As well, some good suggestions on places to see in Germany if your well enough. Unfortunately we didn't get to see those, I was well enough to go to Paris with my wife for a few days!

The post op facility, Medicos and Courtyard Marriott are located at the Veltins Arena https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veltins_Arena Veltins, I learned after a week there that Veltins was a popular local beer. Then, later I learned, it was a very good popular local beer!

So, at the end of your stay, with doctors permission, hoist a tall one! That's something I did, and I venture others on this sight that went to Dr. Biersted did as well.

One thing you might consider is uploading a journal to YouTube or facebook, I'd love to see yourself, Dr. B, Malte, Hattigen hospital and Medicos people again!

ian
01-29-2014, 12:12 AM
Well, I haven't been able to train for 7 months and my stomach ain't what it used to be. So Dr. Bierstedt should be able to slice through it like buttah. It's interesting you mention the feeling of loss. While it's fun to think about having bionic parts in my body, it's a little strange to think that I'm losing a part of my body.

Thanks for the support.

Ian,

This week started out great. Been nerve pain free from day one. My only issues really have been with the stomach being that I'm a big guy with a lot of muscle Clavel had to get through. He warned me. To make it worse I was just peaking at the gym when i finally blew out the Lumbar and had enough so it helps and hurts getting all that cut through.

Anyway, it is kinda weird you will find as in one day you will feel like crap then the next like nothing ever was done. Today was one of those great normal days.

I feel very good and very optimistic but cautious to remember that this is not magic and we are and have lost part of our natural body. There is at lest for me a sense of loss but I'm happy that I wont miss a lot of time with my kids in agony. i expect ups and downs but less downs now. It won't be the same but much better than losing months every year in pain.

I wish you peace of mind and a great outcome.

ian
01-29-2014, 12:16 AM
I haven't seen Ken's tips on surgery. I'll do a search for them. I'm scheduled to return right after me stay in rehab ends, but if I'm physically feeling great I'm going to extend my stay and do some traveling.

I'm definitely going to chronicle my stay. I'll post up reports here with my (hopefully) astounding recovery!

Ian,

Congrats on the decision. That's one hard thing to get through. I somewhat understand your relief, but for me it my relief was when the plane took off, that was my point of no return.

Like yourself, I don't think you can not go wrong with Dr. Bierstedt or Dr. Clavel.

Did you get a copy of Ken's tips for surgery in Germany? A must read before you go. It lists a lot of things that previous patients have commented on. As well, some good suggestions on places to see in Germany if your well enough. Unfortunately we didn't get to see those, I was well enough to go to Paris with my wife for a few days!

The post op facility, Medicos and Courtyard Marriott are located at the Veltins Arena https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veltins_Arena Veltins, I learned after a week there that Veltins was a popular local beer. Then, later I learned, it was a very good popular local beer!

So, at the end of your stay, with doctors permission, hoist a tall one! That's something I did, and I venture others on this sight that went to Dr. Biersted did as well.

One thing you might consider is uploading a journal to YouTube or facebook, I'd love to see yourself, Dr. B, Malte, Hattigen hospital and Medicos people again!

drewrad
02-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Ian,
I feel very good and very optimistic but cautious to remember that this is not magic and we are and have lost part of our natural body.

I remember a children's book years ago about 'pooing' into the toilet. From a psychological perspective, the child 'grieved' for the loss like losing part of their body.

Anyway, tangents aside, I think once the disc material extrudes that it itself becomes unnatural and, as a foreign object, hard as coral, its as welcome as removing a sharp rock from the inside of one's shoe.

I would like to keep it though, once taken out, put both of my ex-discs into glass on the wall.

pittpete
02-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Ian, i just have a question.
According to your signature you have DDD at L4-L5 and L5-S1.
Is there a reason why Dr. B is only replacing 1 level.
If i misunderstood, my apologies in advance.

ian
02-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Whoops! Thanks for catching that. I have DDD at L4/L5. Only mild desiccation at L5/S1. That was just a mistake on my part, I'll correct it.

Ian, i just have a question.
According to your signature you have DDD at L4-L5 and L5-S1.
Is there a reason why Dr. B is only replacing 1 level.
If i misunderstood, my apologies in advance.

pittpete
02-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Lucky bastage.....
JK, thats great news:beer:

Stonewall_Boris
02-03-2014, 11:57 PM
Ian,

Did you get Ken Hieberts tip list yet? It can help a lot.

ian
02-04-2014, 01:25 AM
Sorry, I haven't seen it yet. I did a search but didn't come up with anything. Can you post up a link?

Thanks

Ian,

Did you get Ken Hieberts tip list yet? It can help a lot.

Stonewall_Boris
02-04-2014, 01:43 AM
Ian,

There is no URL link. Ken Hiebert maintains a list of things to consider when going to Germany for ADR with Dr. Bierstedt. It is compiled of past patients experiences, such as myself, we contribute because we hope the next patients experience is less scary and they have answers to questions they may never have thought to ask.

ian
02-04-2014, 02:27 AM
Less scary? Anything I should know? :laugh:

I've been emailing Ken, so I'll ask him about this list.

Thanks

Ian,

There is no URL link. Ken Hiebert maintains a list of things to consider when going to Germany for ADR with Dr. Bierstedt. It is compiled of past patients experiences, such as myself, we contribute because we hope the next patients experience is less scary and they have answers to questions they may never have thought to ask.

Stonewall_Boris
02-04-2014, 02:44 AM
Less scary, let me see. Your flying to another continent, another country, that you may or may not have linguistic problems with. I'm assuming that this is your first back surgery, correct me if I'm wrong, and that should have you scared in the first place, it did me.
Less scary means that people have done this trip and have reported back what works and what dosent work. It means tips like taking an isle seat on the plane so you can get up and stretch, letting your bank know that you'll be overseas and if you need to make a withdrawal they won't cancel the transaction, letting the airlines know your disabled so they can accommodate you better.

ian
02-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Oh yeah, I do this all the time. I'm not the least bit scared... :(

When I asked Ken for the list he sent me a list of names, not a tips list. I'll clarify that I need the tips list.

Thanks again.

Less scary, let me see. Your flying to another continent, another country, that you may or may not have linguistic problems with. I'm assuming that this is your first back surgery, correct me if I'm wrong, and that should have you scared in the first place, it did me.
Less scary means that people have done this trip and have reported back what works and what dosent work. It means tips like taking an isle seat on the plane so you can get up and stretch, letting your bank know that you'll be overseas and if you need to make a withdrawal they won't cancel the transaction, letting the airlines know your disabled so they can accommodate you better.