ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:28 PM

My spine is a mess. 45yr old male. I have 3 train-wreck cervical discs, with torn ligaments, stenosis, herniations, bulgings and a lot of degeneration/ osteophytes on two, similar lumbar situation (two bad discs, bulging, stenosis and tears) and a compression fracture in a thoracic v. No I wasn't in a series of horrible train wrecks and didn't play as a runningback in the NFL, no idea why I degenerated like this - just normally active, modest sports activity etc. Maybe the chiropractores did it to me - lots of hard adjustments!

I was on nexium for hearburn the past 10 years + and figured that may have caused a calcium absorbtion problem (recent study showed 40% increase in hip fractures), so I stopped now (always burning up though), but don't know how that explains the soft tissue stuff. Maybe I'm just delicate. Anyway, like everybody here, I've been warned by everybody not to get surgery unless my life is on the line, but the symptoms are getting worse.

I suffer a long list of the standard symptoms from all levels - none crippling but all worrisome and worsening. Lately I'be been getting these waves of pain and numbness radiating down both arms and at the same time making breathing difficult (figured that's the thoracic).

Also increasing numbness below the waist, increasing ED symptoms, and can only sleep on one side now due to the lumbar pain and instability (feel the disc slipping around). Any ideas on what to do from here? I don't want to go get 3 seperate spinal surgeries and worry about the high failure rates...
Old 07-05-2007, 03:12 PM

If you have ever been bitten by a tick, then go get a REAL RELIABLE LYME DISEASE test. Lyme can play havoc with the joints especially cervical. IGENIX labs in California are suppose to be the number one lab in the U.S. testing for Lyme. Hope this helps you JF110
Old 07-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Administrator

I am sorry to say that some people who frequent this forum -- especially those with multi-level disc disease -- have eventually determined that they have Lyme disease, so JF raises a good point about finding a reliable test lab. That said, Lyme disease is a clinical diagnosis; one that eludes most doctors and leads many down a torutous path!

More soon on this controversial topic. In the meantime, let's try to figure out some options for you! What kind of doctors do you have on your circle right now? What kinds of tests have you had? Do you have a diagnosis?

For more info on Lyme with this forum, see here.

Lyme Disease and Discogenic Pain
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-05-2007, 05:09 PM

I can't come up with a reasonable answer for your question about why you're this bad but I thought I'd offer some advice. I've been having problems with GERD, heartburn, for quite a while, especially when my Mountain Dew intake peaks (caffine increases stomach acid production). I've found recently that active culture yogurt or Kefir, a kind of fermented milk product, helps with the GERD without the need for drugs. As both are milk products, they'd also help with your calcium concern.

I've also had very good experience with prolotherapy for soft tissue problems. You can't use it to fix an area where you have bone damage and it, right now, isn't being used for dessicated or herniated disks but it can help in areas where you are just suffereing from torn or lax ligaments/tendons.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 07-05-2007, 07:48 PM

Thank you for the responses everybody. Interesting about lyme disease, but I was rarely in the areas where the risk is high, although I'm sure it's still possible I got it.

I do have a ton of hard to explain symptoms that have been dogging me for about 20 years that nobody understands. Sicca syndrome with very dry eyes and mouth (but not with the RA of sjogren's), disc disease, skin gets palid, hair thins at times (thyroid tests always shows ok). The most obvious symptom to me is one that's hard to explain. I used to be really attractive and healthy looking and for the past 15-20 years I look chronically sick or unhealthy. My eyes aren't white anymore and my skin looks kind of inflamed - sometimes photo-sensitive.

I did have a nasty big tick in Colorado a good 15 or 20 years ago - was in my thigh a couple of days before I noticed. I had to have some tissue removed years later since it was always itching and swollen and the area still itches at times. I will get checked for Lyme, but I'm sure my Dr. would use the cheap standard test. He's sure I'm a hypochondriac anyway. I had to force him to prescribe a bone density test - said I was fine and being silly -and of course I have ostepenia.

Harrison, just a normal GP now. I've wasted a lot of money over the years on internists, allergists (allergic to about everything), cardiologists, orthopedics, opthomologists, etc - hundreds of tests of everykind imaginable and nothing concrete, just sicca and degerative joints (spine and any other cartlidge), an occassional irregular heartbeat , very easily injured, failure to thrive stuff. They all just end up scratching their head and not knowing. These are things far more common in post-menopausal women.

JM
Old 07-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sicca syndrome with very dry eyes and mouth (but not with the RA of sjogren's)
JM,

Sorry you have so much on your plate. I sent you a private message.

Justin
Old 07-05-2007, 09:32 PM

Seeing Lyme has been brought up again, I have a question.Is it only carried by deer ticks and only in the Sates?
We have large rainforest and cattle ticks here in Aus and I had 1 lodged in my neck a few years back while taking a rainforest walk. We didn't find it till many hours later and I had to have a doc remove it.
I'd feel like a fool even suggesting to my doc unless there was a definite connection. I'm sure he thinks I'm a bit wacko and just humours me most of the time!
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 07-06-2007, 12:55 AM

since we don't know if you have pain in your neck , lumbars, or thoracic it would be much easier giving us your motion of pain symptons.

-touching your hands to your feet
-bending backwards while your pelvis stays still
-rotate your neck
-diagonally reach for an object sitting on the floor and pick it up.

If you feel pain during those movements then you might have a back issue.

bones creaking is a much different feeling than inflammation from a diseased disc.

Prodisc St. Mary's 12/2006 not diagnosed properly pre-op and now have DDD L4/L5, facet calcification L5-S1/L4-L5, mild scoliosis and left knee pain. DDD: C3 through C6
Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 AM

Zorro, lots of pain, constant. I think at least 2 cervicals have self-fused or almost fused, but they still move sometimes. The MRI shows very pronounced osteophytes and stenosis of the central spinal chord area where the damage is intruding. Pain in both sides of neck and mostly one side of lumbar, where the MRI showed tears. The lumbar movement is more of a feeling of instability and slipping around than "creaking."
Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Administrator

JM: I sent you an email. We can catch up soon.

Cathy, it’s not about your doctor -- it’s about diagnosing & treating the patient. If you have a good doctor -- they listen and respect the patient’s opinion. It's all about helping you, right?!

The author of this article, Dr. Klinghardt, cites evidence that Lyme is carried by many different types of “vectors,” or bugs. It’s a long article, but it’s a good one:

Lyme Disease: A Look Beyond Antibiotics
http://www.neuraltherapy.com/LymeALookBeyond6.pdf

Klinghardt’s assertion about how Lyme “opens the door” for other infections is intriguing; and he does touch on the links between Lyme and spine issues as well. Again, it’s a long paper, but it seems to be well-researched, detailed and prescriptive.

ILADS is also a respected organization, staffed with “Lyme-literate” doctors. You may find their site useful: http://www.ilads.org/index.html

BTW: Isn’t it interesting that some spine doctors will screen you for Lyme (only a few that I know of) and most do not?! What’s up with that?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate