ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Arthroplasty Central

Arthroplasty Central Discussion, news and insights that focus specifically on artificial disc replacement and arthroplasty are here.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:43 AM

Default How long from consultation to operation?

Hello fellow sufferers.

I have made contact with Dr M S Y in Brisbane, but was wondering how long it 'usually' takes from first contact to consultation and then from consultation to operation?
I know that there are many variables, but a 'ball park figure' from different peoples experiences would be helpful, whether it be Dr MSY or another Dr.

The reason I ask is because, I was told that you can get medical cover for an existing condition and then claim for that condition after 12 months...I was not too sure if this was an indicater for how long I would have to wait for treatment, or just an option.

Thanks,

richard.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:04 PM

There isn't a set figure because it will really depend upon how bad you are and how much has already been done for you. You know you have DDD, so I assume you've had x-rays at the least. You'll almost definitely need MRIs and depending upon how clear your pain is, most to many docs expect discograms prior to surgery. Now, if you were going to a "get it done", "pay in cash" surgical clinic, that could be a week. If you lived here in the medical wasteland with us, it could be 6 to 8 months trying to find a doc that that offered more current treatments than cupping to balance the humors of the body.
Knee, Shoulder, Toe, Finger, Elbow Problems

Jim - no spine problem but lots of other fun medical challenges

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog