ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:32 PM

Default Decisoins

Hello.
I'm new and tentively scheduled for 3 level ADR at Stenum. I can't decide. I am concerned about follow up care when I return to ND. Who will know about anything if I encounter some complication?
Any insights?
Request for nuerosurgical consult denied by my doctor. Said,"not yet"
Physio,and pain clinic.......getting old.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 PM

Stenum has a polar opposite reputation. To be cute, some swear by Stenum and some swear at it. Not touching why that might be in this post, (but the commentary on both sides could be found here) it would make me think carefully about getting work done there if I didn't have a clear plan for follow up back home.

Do you know what your doc was thinking when he denied your request for neurological consult? What kind of doc was he, orthopedic doc, general practice, ...? Is your insurance such that you can go see a spine surgeon on your own to ask about follow up in your area? For that matter, if you have to have a referral to go to a spine doc, is there another general practice doc who could give you the referral?

Do you have all of the work up done that led you to feel you need three level ADR? Cervical or lumbar ADR?

Sorry to fire questions at you but we'd need more information to give you anything more than general advice. Right now, with what we know, I'd say that you were justified in worring about getting three level ADR without a clear plan for follow up in your home area. How you go about getting that plan is the question that can't be answered now.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 08-02-2011, 03:16 AM

Default Important for follow-up care

I think it is important to have a surgeon here at home for your follow-up care. If there is teaching hospital near where you live you might try and set up an appointment with their spine center and find a Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic surgeon who is willing to do it prior to having the surgery. I think many surgeons in The U.S. who don’t do ADR or can only use the discs approved in the U.S. are just as interested to see what is happening overseas and will have their own interest in following your progress and outcome.

All the best to you.

JPJH
Oct. 2010 / 2 level ADR M-6 @ C4/5 & 5/6
Dr. Pablo Clavel, Barcelona
Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 PM

Default Thank you!!

I think that my degenerative state and pain experience have finally been heard. As a result of that validation, I have since made enough noise to get a few consults.
I will now answer some of your questions ,as well as my own.
Your responces mean a great deal to me!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Oh look, another incompetent f**kwit of a doctor who thinks they can somehow magically interpret the level of someone elses pain! If I had a dime... can't wait for the day in a few hundred years when they can plug them in to someone elses nervous system and 'get that into ya'. Referrals will be handed over willfully.

Do Stenum actually examine patients scans post-op or do they not bother?

In terms of issues post op... it is very rare that one would arise that would require immediate intervention by a spine surgeon that wouldnt be encountered in the immediate post-op phase. In terms of re-operation if the surgery is a failure, its not uncommon for the operating surgeon to get rid of a 'difficult patient' and you've got to go and find someone else anyway, which is extremely difficult.

Make sure you get surgical opinions outside of Stenum.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 PM

It is easy to minimize ones' pain experience when, like myself,there is a previous history of anxiety and depression, less objective evidence.
I , recently had an experience with a benign irregular heartbeat. I was told that it was anxiety and constipation!
Anyway, this taught me to do my research and come very well prepared. It allows me the ability to be calm and ask intelligent questions.
A little validation was all it took for me to advocating for myself.

Thanks everyone for both the positive and the negative "heads up" support!!