ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:22 PM

Default joint infections (Tom Brady)

ABC National News last night reported on how Tom Brady (New England Patriots quarterback in case you live in a cave) knee surgery resulted in an infection in his joint requiring two more surgeries to clean out the infection and now he's on extensive antibiotics. The article states how infections in a joint can lead to permanent damage and eventually permanent pain or permanent arthritis b/c the bacteria is chewing up the tissue inside the joint. While the story is primarily about knees, the same risk of infection applies to our spines...

See http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6106737&page=1
2009 L4-5 Prodisc ADR removed and revised to XLIF w/posterior instrumentation
massive hemorrhage from tear of inferior vena cava at right iliac vein due to adhesion from Prodisc op
2010 not fused; as a result of complications permanent nerve damage to lumbar plexus causing severe rt leg, hip, groin pain
Old 10-25-2008, 10:43 PM

Laura and I have a co-worker who's first artificial knee had to be removed due to infection. The man had to go for about a month or so without anything between his femur and tibia while the infection was being cleaned out because the surgeon was sure that it couldn't be a post-op infection and let things go. The second surgeon realized what had happened immediately, removed the hardware, put the man on a serious course of antibiotics, and replaced the aritificial knee once he was well enough to go through the surgery.

Richard could tell more and better stories than even this one but infection, either post-op or from another source but invading the joint, is real serious stuff.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Administrator

I am not a sports watcher..I'd rather play than watch. But by reviewing my research and online communities (thanks Liz) I recall Tom Brady's serious infection in his knee in 2008. Do you think it's a coincidence he re-injured his knee last week? I think not. Bugs eat tissue with their enzymes. That's why many people have joint diseases in this country.

Brady Injury: When Knee Surgery Backfires - ABC News
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate