ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-19-2005, 01:21 PM

I am wating to be accepted by Bertagnoli, I need a 2 level ADR, I was accepted at Stenum and insurance approved 100%. I then found out information about Stenum and have changed my mind. After talking with BCBS world Wide last night they informed me that I could go to Bertagnoli and still be covered. When looking at Bertagnoli web site I can not figure out do I go to Germany or to Austria? Also are there any other tips anyone can give? I have never traveled overseas before.

Prays to all that been touched by back problems.
87 Lam 88 Lam no help. 11/12/04 was told I needed fusion at 2 levels L4/5 & S1/5, ADR Surgery date was 5/13/2013 with Dr. Bertagnoli had fusion on S1/L5 and ADR on L5/L4. it is now 8 years post surgery and do not even take an aspirin for my back.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:46 PM

I am glad you are going to see Dr. Bertagnoli. He is really great. I think you made a wise decision not going to Stenum. Dr. Bertagnoli is no longer doing surgery in Vienna. The anaesthesiologist at Bogen wrote me an email last week and told me that Dr. Bertagnoli was moving his practice next door to the Bogen facility, so more than likely that is where you will be going. I had a 2 level ADR in Bogen on 1/12/05. and the facility, staff, and doctors are great. When you get your date, if it is in Bogen, I can give you quite a few tips. I had never traveled overseas either. The Bogen area is quite beautiful nestled in the Bavarian Forest. No matter where you are going, I would highly suggest, on the return trip, getting a First class/Business seat as it is an incredibly long flight. I did not, but the airline hostess felt sorry for me and ask a lady who had a middle seat in business class to change with me and she most graciously did. Both seats on each side were vacant and they let me ride home lying down most of the way. There are still some awesomely wonderful people out there. I couldn't believe she would give up her seat/s in Business class.

Best wishes with your plans,

Linda

--------------
Discectomy L5/S1 - 1988
Laminectomy L4/5 and L5/S1
ADR L4/5 and L5/S1 - ProDisc - TBI 10/02 Pain free
ADR C5/6 and C6/7 - ProDisc - Dr. B. in Bogen, Germany

Working on being pain free with the neck!

10-02 - ProDiscs L4/5 and L5/S1 - FDA study - disks placed incorrectly which
caused problem at L3/4 and L2/3
01-05 - ProDiscs at C5/6 and C6/7 in Germany - seems to be working fine so far
Bedbound from 09-06 until 10-08 due to severe pain and weakness
09-08 - Had Fibrin sealant done at L3/4 and L2/3 After 6 weeks - much success!
Hoping and praying that the lumbar revision surgery that was scheduled with Dr. Regan
can be indefinitely postponed
Old 02-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Banned

The Bogen facility rocks!
Old 02-20-2005, 04:41 AM

Please look in the FAQ`s there are loads of tips to do before ADR and preparations for your return plus much more
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 02-20-2005, 08:30 AM

Thanks Linda, if Dr. Bertagnoli had moved is his contact information on his website wrong? BCBS was going to contact using that information.

Thanks Alastair, I will check that out and start puting a check list togeather
87 Lam 88 Lam no help. 11/12/04 was told I needed fusion at 2 levels L4/5 & S1/5, ADR Surgery date was 5/13/2013 with Dr. Bertagnoli had fusion on S1/L5 and ADR on L5/L4. it is now 8 years post surgery and do not even take an aspirin for my back.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:40 PM

Hi Im an candidate for an 2 level ADR and have been in contact both with Stenum and Dr Bertangoli.What kind of information is it that changed your mind about surgery in Stenum i will meet with my DR in sweden March 1 and discuss strategy if i cant get surgery in Sweden then i have to go to germany.It would be very helpfull to know if there is something that is not good about Stenum so I dont make any fatal misstake when choosing where to go.

My best to everyone at the forum you are all great inspiration to me.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:40 PM

Hi Roger,
Lets put it this way, there have been some dreadful surgery's come out of Stenum recently with disastrous results
Mr Bee is one of them here

http://adrsupport.org/private-cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ub...t_topic;f=1;t=000208

Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 02-20-2005, 04:42 PM

Hello Roger, I hope you have followed Alastair's advise reading those threads, and there are other storys out here like that. I don't think you will be making a mistake by going to Dr. Bertagnoli. This has an effect on the rest of your life, make the most informed decision you possible can. The best of luck to you!!
Old 02-21-2005, 12:02 AM

Roger, if you want our thought process on how we decided between Stenum and Bertagnoli, shoot me an email.
listings@az.com

bob
Old 02-21-2005, 12:05 AM

Dear David,
As far as I know as of a couple of days ago this was still the contact information for Dr. Bertagnoli and his surgical assistant Dr. Fend-Mayer:
Dr. Andrea Fenk-Mayer [fenk-mayer@pro-spine.com]

Roger,
I too was going to go to Stenum until I started researching the disk they use there. No Thanks! The pictures of the disk they use even look unfriendly. It looked like it would be as bad as a fusion. My doctor at TBI told me to go to Dr. Bertagnoli because he was a wonderful surgeon and a great person. I was pleased with the whole process over in Germany. They are wonderful people and Dr. B. is great!

If I can answer any more questions or if you want to see any pictures of the docs, facility or hotel in Bogen, let me know.

Best wishes with your surgery plans,

Linda (alias 4-level bionic woman)

10-02 - ProDiscs L4/5 and L5/S1 - FDA study - disks placed incorrectly which
caused problem at L3/4 and L2/3
01-05 - ProDiscs at C5/6 and C6/7 in Germany - seems to be working fine so far
Bedbound from 09-06 until 10-08 due to severe pain and weakness
09-08 - Had Fibrin sealant done at L3/4 and L2/3 After 6 weeks - much success!
Hoping and praying that the lumbar revision surgery that was scheduled with Dr. Regan
can be indefinitely postponed