ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:15 AM

Hi Everyone, I am now almost 7 weeks into my recovery from a one level C5/C6 ADR. I am wondering if I can get some input on the recovery process? I was doing great initially, I even went out of town the day after my surgery. I am not saying that I did this easily but just the fact that I was able to do it at all was pretty miraculous. I have never worn a collar. I made continuous progress right away but did notice that the shoulder and upper arm pain was still there. I stayed pretty active after my surgery. My throat was uncomfortable at first. I had the pain between my shoulders that I have already seen you guys mention. When I went to my 2 week eval I told the doc I was getting better day by day and doing great. For the next 2 weeks I seemed to just stop getting better, and then for the past 2 weeks I actually feel somewhat worse. Where I had been pretty active again, I started feeling like I was in too much pain again to go out and enjoy myself. I called the doc and saw his surgical assistant last Thursday. He did my second set of x-rays since the surgery and the ADR still looks great. He says that I still have a lot of inflammation. He said that it could also be because of my age. I am 49. he said that the ADR actually creates more range of motion than my neck was used to for my age. He gave me some anti-inflammatories called Meloxocam 7.5 mg to take for 2 weeks. I am currently one week into that and not seeing much difference that I can measure. He said that if this doesn't work that we can try facet injections? And if that doesn't work then we will do another MRI. I am wondering what you guys think? On the one hand I tell myself that I have had major surgery and it just takes time but then on the other hand I was expecting to be better than I am now. I currently still have a pretty uncomfortable throat, pain in back of neck, between shoulder blades, into right shoulder and upper arm, some slight burning across the right side of my head (inner ear like), occasional headaches and just still hurts to hold my head up too long. I have spent the past week at home mostly because my family thinks that I am maybe just pushing too hard but I don't see that making a difference either. I would appreciate any input you may have for me!! Thanks, nettie
Neck problems started in 11/07. Herniated disc C5/C6. 6 weeks phys therapy. Severe shoulder/ arm pain. 4 injections. ADR surgery 5/9/2008 C5/C6. Pain worsens. 15 months later, 2 MRIs, a myelogram, 8 facet type injections, 3 months phys therapy, every drug, 12 doctors. Finally a DR. to say ADR put in incorrectly and disc itself mechanically failed. Back to surgery on 8/11/09 for a fusion. Hope this IS the answer. Will let you know.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:24 PM

Nettie:

It sounds like you are expecting to get back on a horse when you can barely lift a saddle. Go easy on yourself as you just had major surgery. This takes a long time to heal from and you need to be patient. I had cervical and lumbar and the cervical, while easier, was still not a piece of cake. I had swallowing difficulties, inflammation, tired and run down, sore, etc. What happened to your pain medication? There is nothing wrong in taking pain meds if you are still in pain. They will help immensely. Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 06-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Terry, nice post as usual.

Hi Nettie, welcome and thx for posting. I'll chime back in soon; call or email if you need help.

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-25-2008, 06:00 PM

Nettie,

I am 3 weeks out from a two-level cervical ADR. There are times I feel great but more often than not I’m run down at the end of the day. I started getting shoulder pains about a week ago and actually stepped up my pain meds. I saw my surgeon on Monday and he told me that the first few weeks I would see great improvement but I would also hit some brick walls. He put it like this “I just cut you open, moved stuff around, stretched your neck, chiseled you vertebrates, put in foreign material and put you back together. You are going to hurt for a while.” I will take this pain any day over what I was living with for countless years.

Take it slow and easy and you will heal in due time. It has been tough for me to slow down, but I know it is just temporary.

Take care of yourself. There is only one of you.

Diagnosed with DDD in Nov, 2007. MRI, EMG
C3/4 C4/5 C5/6 C6/7
Surgery 06.04.08--C5/6 and C6/7 with Prodisc was a success.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:33 PM

Hi Dave. It's good to see that my fellow "Michigander" is doing well and on the other side from surgery.

Good answer for Nettie and hang in there yourself.

There is only one of you as well.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
Bicycle Accident 2004
Old 06-29-2008, 05:37 AM

I took it a lot easier this week and at the end of the week I have felt somewhat better. I will defer to your experence and try to behave myself!! Ha Ha Thanks for the imput you guys!!! Knowledge brings power and just having you guys tell me that everything is ok is a HUGE relief and boost to my efforts. Nettie
Neck problems started in 11/07. Herniated disc C5/C6. 6 weeks phys therapy. Severe shoulder/ arm pain. 4 injections. ADR surgery 5/9/2008 C5/C6. Pain worsens. 15 months later, 2 MRIs, a myelogram, 8 facet type injections, 3 months phys therapy, every drug, 12 doctors. Finally a DR. to say ADR put in incorrectly and disc itself mechanically failed. Back to surgery on 8/11/09 for a fusion. Hope this IS the answer. Will let you know.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:15 AM

Nettie:

Most of us learn by trial and error. It's a tough way to go but you won't learn what you are capable of until you try. It's going to be common to do too much and pay some dues and have setbacks. This is all the normal part of the recovery process. You can take your pain medications when you've overdid it and, it will seem like a roller coaster ride sometimes but, you will get better. One Day At A Time!

Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
Bicycle Accident 2004