ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:48 AM

Default recovery time for 1 level

Hi all,

I have tentatively been scheduled for a 1 level ADR on April 23. I NEVER anticipated getting this approved so I've been living my life like it wasn't even a remote possibility . My problem is my children (8th and 6th ) go to Charter school (volunteering is mandatory) so I am chaperoning my daughters choir performance to Disneyland three weeks after my procedure. Also, Four weeks after I am a Girl Scout chaperone for a camping trip.

Were you required to wear a soft or hard collar? If so how long? Pain level? Will I be able to sit for a 5-6 hour bus ride? Will I be able to ride any rides? How was your pain level 3-4 weeks out? Restrictions? Can I ride any of the rides or will I ruin my recovery?

I know I am supose to ask my doctor these questions. However, the woman in charge of scheduling couldn't answer my questions and my doctor was in surgery yesterday. She said she'd page him with my questions but I didn' t want to bother him. I told her I'd call him on Monday. Bad idea; now I am super anxious about these prior committments that I can't sleep. I am worrying constantly about what I can and can't do…

Thank you for your feedback, Tammi
Cervical compression with clinical myelopathy with Hoffman's
Tests; MRI's, EMG/NC studies, discogram, CT scan
Pain management; tens unit, ice and heat, physical therapy, chiropratic care, and spinal epidural treatments.
Blue Cross / Blue Shield of Ohio external third party approved Pro-C ADR at C 5-6 on 4/3/13
Old 04-13-2013, 11:09 AM

Tammi,

After all three of my cervical surgeries, with the exception of riding rides at Disney World, I would have had no problem doing any of the activities on the timeline you've listed. Things like Peter Pan, Dumbo and It's a Small World rides won't be a problem. No matter how good you feel, I'd encourage you to avoid things like Space Mountain or Splash Mountain.

The longest I ever had to wear a soft collar was 5 days.

A couple things though... I've observed that, for whatever reason, men tend to have easier and faster recoveries than women; which seems strange considering that women tend to handle pain better than men. Also, problematic recoveries after successful surgeries are not uncommon. If you have a difficult recovery, well, then it's possible that none of those activities will be possible.

I'm betting that you're going to do great though!

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 04-13-2013, 12:41 PM

Jeff,

Thank you for the prompt reply! My anxiety level is pretty high at this point so your response helped a lot with that!

My husband travels frequently for his job so the homefront responsibility falls on me.

I am going to focus on being positive and hopefully my surgery will be without complications! So, then I should move forward with my ADR surgery!!! I know your heard this before but I never thought I would write that!

Thanks once again!
Tammi
Pain management; tens unit, ice and heat, physical therapy, chiropratic care, and spinal epidural treatments.
Blue Cross / Blue Shield of Ohio external third party approved Pro-C ADR at C 5-6 on 4/3/13
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 AM

Tammi,

When you can. Please post.
How is that new ADR?
Hope you are recovering well.
Now you have joined the ADR group.

Kimmers
Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 AM

Kimmers

I made it to the other side. Thank you for asking. When I woke up in recovery I was agitated so I pulled out my IVs and catheter. I am in a lot of pain in my right hand and arm. It is swollen and painful to write . I just wanted to let you know I made it. I will post more when pain subsides.

Tammi
Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 PM

Tammi,

Congratulations on it being done! There was some concern that this surgery was going to address all of your ailments. Any idea yet?

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 PM

Jeff,

I can't tell yet? Should I be able to? I've been taking 10/235 hydrocodone 2 pills every four hours for surgical pain. The nerve pain seems to be almost gone. I couldn't sleep the night in the hospital so I am very tired. My surgeon said it went excellent.

I am just disappointed that I feel so drugged up and I am just tolerating soups. Is this normal ?

Tammi
Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 PM

Tammi,

That sounds very encouraging. If the nerve pain is greatly lessened then it sounds like you had some neural decompression; which is what you were in there for.

After each of my two fusions I couldn't hold anything down for 24 hours. The Spanish must have used a different anesthetic as I was able to hold down a half of cup of soup the night of surgery. What you're experiencing sounds pretty much normal.

Congratulations!

Jeff
Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM

Tammi,

Hopefully you are feeling much better now! Personally, I was surprised at how quickly the recovery from my 2 level ADR was. I saw that you will be participating in school activities and like JSS indicated - you should have no problem!
Wishing you a quick recovery!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running11 View Post
Jeff,

I can't tell yet? Should I be able to? I've been taking 10/235 hydrocodone 2 pills every four hours for surgical pain. The nerve pain seems to be almost gone. I couldn't sleep the night in the hospital so I am very tired. My surgeon said it went excellent.

I am just disappointed that I feel so drugged up and I am just tolerating soups. Is this normal ?

Tammi
2 level M6 ADR, Dr. Clavel - Oct. 2012
Insurance paid
Not a day goes by that without me whispering a silent "thank you" to Dr. Clavel
Post Op 2+ years
Cross Fit 3-5 times a week
Running 5ks