ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Jenni, thanks for getting us back on track -- Robin's concerns about her hubbie.

Robin?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-10-2006, 07:17 PM

Well, I did not intend to be morbid. I posted this thinking others may need to look into it further, especially if having a fusion. Our surgeon uses cadaver bone to make "dowels" to screw the two vertabrae together and adds a shot of bone growth accelerator (not technical terminology.)

My "patient" is not really worrying and wants to wait until we meet with the Dr. for 3 week follow-up on the 27th. So I honored his request and did not call. Yet. We will be taking printed copies of the articles along with us.

Will post anything new -- good or bad.

Thank you for your concerns!

Robin.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:53 PM

Robin,

I think it was *we* that strayed off track that were morbid, not you. Movies, sci-fi, weighty ethics discussions, all that stuff ...

But, no matter how easily we're distracted, we do know what's most important here. Please do let us know, whenever the patient is ready and agrees.

Best,
-j
Old 01-18-2006, 09:49 AM

To all,

Follow-up with Dr. on 16th went very well. (Dr. Dwyer is excellent if anyone is looking!)

He knew exactly what we were talking about and said he found out about it on the news! back in October. He jumped on the phone to the hospital to have them run down all donated bone -- each piece apparently has it's own identifying number to track it back to the donor and the company that collected/tested it. Everything from that supplier was pulled from the shelves and they tracked back all pieces they had used. There is one patient that received some "questionable" bone and has to be tested forever for Hep C, etc. He assured us we didn't have to worry but would have the office track our numbers just to verify their exact origination.

So, one crisis over. Now just waiting to see if the surgery "really worked" and he will have back his back!

Thanks for your concerns,

Any suggestions for the spousal unit trying to cope with the patient and their frustration at not being able to do or help with anything?

Thanks,
robin