ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:55 PM

Hi all,

I was posting a fair bit here a while back but have been busy trying to ignore my neck and lead a normal life.

Still considering surgery (i.e. crosses my mind every day usually several times, still worry about my symptoms every day etc.) but have found a sort of head in the sand approach to ignoring it all.

that being said, ignoring it doesn't seem to be working, so seeing a fusion surgeon for followup for the first time in over a year, had some more MRI scans - don't seem to be improving particularly that I can tell.

Over the 2 years of having all this worry I've concluded that trusting the surgeon and their experience in the particular procedure they are doing is probably the most important factor in a succesful outcome, and I've got a good level of confidence in the fusion surgeon I've been seeing.

The options I'm investigating if I consider surgery are still either old fashioned autograft fusion or ADR with prodisc-C or prestige LP.

A quick scan reveals that some of the other people with cervical issues similar to mine are still about the place as well but looks like have also avoided surgery for the time being.

Even though I'm constantly aware of the symptoms I've got I'm still not unhappy about not having surgery yet. I still have arm, leg and elsewhere parasthesia, occasional weakness and various other symptoms (including occasional pain, occasional involuntary muscle movement -e.g. wiggling fingers - and diminished left side arm reflexes) as well as the usual neck/shoulder pain (which for me is not of a level to be a bother and not the reason for considering surgery). But at this stage I'm also glad I haven't rushed into surgery.

So any recent news on cervical ADR that I should be aware of? I've seen more posts about mobi-C so that sounds like its coming of age.

I'd also be curious if there's any recent prestige LP recipients on the boards as it seems apart from the bryan this is the other disc that local Australian surgeons use. With mild stenosis and straight/mildly kyphotic lordosis I've ruled out bryan for my situation.

cheers,
Rob

2004 - surfing accident - transient (temporary) quadriplegia for 15 seconds while underwater - quickly recovered full func
Old 10-25-2006, 12:14 AM

Hi Rob.

Good to hear from you

Like you, I still haven't made a decision. My condition isn't any worse and is possibly, slightly better (in Summer anyway).

With regards to cervical ADR here in Australia, well the news is not great. In August, the TGA approved ADR in the lumbar but not in the Cervical. So if you were hoping to have ADR and have it covered by your health fund, at this point it's a no no.

Take care

Hucky
Treated for whiplash, PT, Accupuncture, Massage symptoms predominatly on left hand side. No relief.
Aug 04 C6/7 ruptures. MRI shows no deteriorat
Old 10-25-2006, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Rob, welcome back. I'm sorry that you are still on your journey, but glad to have you visit us again. Wow, 2 years went by quickly!

Your lesson about trusting the surgeon is well said. I am lucky too in that regard -- I trusted my doc, liked him, was a qualified ADR candidate and did my homework on the artificial disc. And I say lucky, because as you've seen, not all of these fall things fall into place for patients.

There are many new things in cervical disc replacement, but most folks here continue to have good luck with the ProDisc; with many having one to three levels (both in the US and in Europe). The results with the Prestige seemed mixed, but pls PM these folks and get their opinions.

Rob, did you or your doc disqualify the Bryan disc? And the "kyphosis-lordosis" issue -- are you saying that your neck is too straight for the Bryan?

Glad your fellow Aussie is there to support you. Huckie is a bit of a health expert!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-25-2006, 06:52 AM

Hi Hucky - good to hear that things might be slightly better for you. In relation to cervical ADR in Australia it doesn't seem to be racing ahead as far as I can tell - there are some surgeons doing Bryan and Prestige but the number of procedures being carried out is pretty low I think.

Harrison - in relation to why not Bryan for my neck and circumstance - some is based on feedback from surgeons and some from my own reading. The fusion surgeon strongly opposes ADR for my situation (but thats not unexpected). Some of the ADR surgeons were mixed about what would be best. The reason I've excluded the bryan in particular is that I've got mild stenosis and mildly kyphotic lordosis and there have been incidences of focal kyphosis at the implant site with the Bryan - with a narrow neck and already poor lordosis I would not think this would be a good combination. The bryan is also less constrained than other discs and again with narrow canal I'd prefer more constrained. I guess that means I'm also assuming that a fusion would provide better lordosis - again that would only be true if carried out by a surgeon that knows what they are doing. I've also read in some articles that stability at the narrow level can reduce irritation of the cord with stenosis - however I don't think my canal is narrow enough that it necessarily needs to be stabilised - and removal of the intruding disc and some mild bone spurring would probably provide enough space, but its a consideration as well.

cheers
Rob

2004 - surfing accident - transient (temporary) quadriplegia for 15 seconds while underwater - quickly recovered full func
Old 10-25-2006, 02:29 PM

Robb
My son had 2 level surgery C5-6 67 last year Dec.1 by Dr. B using the Pro Disc, and by June he was surfing again. In Hawaii south swell.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:45 AM

ckstar - that info is very useful to me - I've been wondering about surfing with ADR - I know that fusions can stand up to pretty rigurous physical activity but wasn't sure about ADR.

If you don't mind me asking, how old is your son and how long has he been surfing for? Is hawaii your home base and has he hit the hawaian reef's on winter swells since the surgery, any heavy wipeouts if so? sorry for all the questions but its very relevant for my situation.

really appreciate the info.

cheers,
Rob

Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 PM

Rob,
My Son is 33 years old. He was born and raised in Hawaii and has been surfing all his life. No heavy wipeouts so far only because he has been surfing the south and east side of Hawaii. Summer surf. I dont think he has been out to the north shore as of yet, but winter is coming up. He feels very confident but is also very careful. He has been surfing for four months with the Pro-disc, and when he surfs alot I know he needs to take a few days off and get some massage for the spasams in his neck muscles. But I know he is right back in the water with a few days off. If you have more questions feel free to e-mail me and I can give you my son's phone number.
Aloha
Malia
Old 10-31-2006, 04:48 AM

Chris - thanks again for the reply - thats fantastic that he's managed to get back in the water again so soon and yes he's wise to take it easy but sounds very positive.

Co-incidentally I ran into another surfer over the weekend that has had a disc replacement (Bryan) and is now back in the water. I've also met one other surfer in the past with a fusion. Both did have some ongoing neck related problems and not completely out of the woods so to speak, but were happy they'd had the surgery and able to get on with things. (both of their surgeries were pretty much urgent/emergency surgeries so they didn't really spend much time thinking about it beforehand anyway).

cheers,
Rob