ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:49 AM

Default Surgury

I went to my surgeon yesterday, I won't be having adr, I am having an acdf on March 19th. From what he said he doesn't like adr, he says its not as advanced as he would like it to be yet, he said if this would have happened in a few years from not then maybe but at this time he doesn't do any disc replacement procedures. He told me that he is doing an acdf at c6-c7 and I have a very slim chance of having any complications from this surgery. He said not to worry about the level above and below even though they look bad he doesn't foresee any problems. He said the pain I have is from this level because I have stenosis, cord compression, facet degeneration (another reason for no adr), foraminal narrowing, and a herniated disc all at this level and my pain should go away. He told me he won't guarantee 100% but he said that he will make me better.

I trust this surgeon, he has been doing surgeries in my family for years now, my wife and her mom both used this doctor for their back surgeries. He is very upfront and honest. Very straight forward about everything. He explained everything. I was told I would have no restrictions after I heal from this and I could do anything I want.

I believe the mind is a much more powerful thing than most people believe it is and as long as I have a mindset that I am going to heal and get my normal life back then that is what is going to happen. I am going to go back to my normal life and hopefully never have this pain again.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
he doesn't do any disc replacement procedures.
Quote:
He said not to worry about the level above and below even though they look bad he doesn't foresee any problems.
I would honestly get a 2nd opinion, just my 2 cents.
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 02-25-2014, 10:27 AM

Default 2nd opinion

I understand why you would think that, I really didn't want fused but I have facet degeneration at c6-c7 also and if you have that you don't qualify for ADR. He doesn't believe that ADR has advanced enough to do that surgery as a common practice. He showed me on his model and explained everything to me. I know a couple of people that have had this same surgery and recovered.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM

Always get a second, third and fourth opinion. Always. No matter how much you trust your doctor. Those opinions are a luxury btw, if you have time for them. Some people don't and have to get rushed into ER.

But, always get more opinions if you can.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:02 PM

Jb, good luck on the 19th. I hope you'll check in and let us know how it went. I know you're going to do great!

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 03-24-2014, 10:07 AM

Default Welcome

Hi JB,
Sorry you're in so much pain, but glad that you found our community. While my pain and subsequent ADR was Lumbar (3 level hyrid), I CAN tell you that I had a Discogram, and Jeff is correct... it hurt like hell! BUT..., it was able to show what an MRI didn't.. that all three of my lower discs were torn completely through! I too have DDD all up and down, and Dr. Blumenthal requested an additional discogram at L2-3 (the level above the first ADR), but I didn't have any pain generated there (Thank you God!).

I had to go through all the stuff you're currently going through.. PT, MRI's ESI's (which didn't do a thing)..

I am currently 9 months Post op and doing pretty well. Everyone is different.. that's something I had to come to grips with. I hope you'll find some relief soon!

2012 trauma lumbar following yard work
Nov 2012 MRI Bulging discs L4,5, S1
Mild stenosis
Dec-Jan PT
Jan 2013 Discogram
Results Level 5 Annular tears L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1
Need 3 disc fusion
Facet Joints injections, March 2013- no relief
Transform.., Epidural Injections 4-23-13 Right L2-3 No relief
2nd ESI 5-14-13 L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1 No relief ugh.
ADR L3-4, L4-5, Fusion L5-S1 Fusion Dr.Blumenthal TBI July, 2013