ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:19 AM

Not sure if this is normal for someone at my stage, and maybe I should've made a new post to ask this question, but I am hoping to obtain answers from people that have likely already read the previous details about my situation.

In the course of the past few days, my right foot has been intermittently going numb, mostly when in a seated position, but has happened a couple times while standing. Not so much like pins and needles really, but almost like a loss of blood, or frostbitten numb feeling that fades in then back out after some time. Time duration of numbness feelings and/or how long it takes to progress and/or go away does not seem very consistent. It has been happening more frequently, the first time I noticed it, it may have happened once or twice over the whole day, then a little more and more in the days that followed. I should have been writing down times/dates from the very start of feeling anything like this, but i didn't start that until this evening. I had to go to the store earlier and I drove there, its about a 20min drive each way there. During my drive, the numbness got to the point to where i could hardly feel my foot on the pedals, and putting my foot on the brake pedal was definitely more awkward feeling, probably due to the increased amount of sense recognition required through the amount of foot pressure applied vs. the fuel pedal. Its almost like i couldn't tell if my foot was actually on the pedal or not, but i knew better than to give it a hard push to see what feelings were or weren't there, I mean I definitely didn't want to rock the car around too hard or accidentally brake check someone behind me, or put myself into the windshield from pushing too hard on it to see if feelings were there. I contemplated pulling over halfway there, but decided to tough it out as its 20 degrees outside here in the Pittsburgh area.
One thing that is consistent about the foot numbness, is that it does go away if i walk around.

Then, tonight i was laying down, trying to fall asleep, (which is never easy) and my tailbone/buttock suddenly becomes very painful. I feel like i jumped down the stairs from the top of a staircase and landed flat on my butt at the bottom. It is still very sore, and i promise i didnt jump down any steps, or jump at all for that matter. Anyone else ever have these problems? I cannot explain why the sore bottom, I must be healing???
Old 11-22-2014, 12:09 PM

Just had to reread this.
BTW, huge Steelers fan here and go there every year...Love that city and the people there.
Anyway, i digress.
Your story sounds exactly like mine.
I first injured my back playing basketball at 25 in 1994:i'm now 44.
I had a herniation at L4-L5 that eventually fragmented.
L5-S1 bulge also.
Sciatic pain was so bad that i had to have a discectomy a little more than a year after my initial injury.
I was well after the surgery for years and had many episodic flareups but the sciatic pain was gone.
Being young and stupid, i continued to play football and basketball and softball.
Fast forward to 2001 and L5-S1 now herniated with a bulge at L4-L3 and small reherniation at L4-L5.
In 2008 L5-S1 finally gave out and sciatic pain was unbearable and after a few months had a discectomy that took away the legpain.
Today i'm left with arthritis and foramenal stenosis and disc height loss.
I'm no longer a candidate for ADR in my opinion because of the arthritis.
Life isnt over my friend, it has just become more difficult.
My advice to you would be to
lose weight
do your stretches
strengthen your core
walk,walk and walk
don't ever lift anything heavy again
As for surgical intervention, you are young.
There is no long term data on the lifespan of ADR's.
I had considered going to Europe but you need to think about the cost, the lifespan of the device, your follow up care for the rest of your life.
Get a new MRI, find out if your nerves are still impinged.
Take one day at a time and dont rush into any irreversible decisions.
The Activ-L is close to getting FDA approval in the US and is better than the prodisc according to my research.
If theres one thing i learned there is no QUICK FIX for an injured spine.
Stay positive bud and contact me if you need to talk.
GO STEELEERS!!!
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy