ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:20 AM

"Thank God I had a handful of Oxycontin ready in my hand to eat immediately"...

Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:56 AM

My disability nurse just ruined my weekend YET AGAIN by telling me crummy news. She told me that Liberty Mutual will only pay for the Charite and not the Prodisc. Me and Dr. Goldstein both want to use a Prodisc when it's approved but it seems like I have to fight all over again from the beginning to get my disc.
Should I just schedule a Charite or should I hold out for the Prodisc knowing I will have to fight the insurance company AGAIN!!!
The medical director who called Liberty Mutual on my behalf has left the company so I have nobody in my corner.
How far away are we from FDA approval?
I will be SO MAD if I get a Charite and the Prodisc is approved while I'm recovering.

What to do what to do...

My pain level is such that I could wait a few more weeks but not if it means more fighting with the insurance company after that.

What to do what to do .....

Do I start writing letters to my VP now or do I wait? I have favors to cash in and can definitely stir the pot. Unfortunately I have nothing to be approved since the FDA hasn't made up their mind yet.

DAMN YOU FDA!!!!
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1 tear)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 07-28-2006, 09:11 AM

eddie
why not try to get them to flip for dr. b
would be cheaper then here in the states and you would get prodisc.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 07-28-2006, 09:17 AM

Another possibility is to try to get into Dr. Y's Activ-l/Prodisc study.

You would still have to wait for Prodisc approval, but, after that, you wouldn't have to fight your insurance company anymore (which is what I am trying to do, for about 5 more months).

David
Old 07-28-2006, 09:55 AM

It's Worker's Comp so I have to fight if I want to keep my lifetime benefits. I have to do what they allow me to do. Luckily I had a good Medical Director in my corner that got Liberty Mutual to get me to New York and out of Jersey for ADR. What a fight THAT was!

Now we fight over what disc to use? The insurance adjuster has NO medical experience and he's going to override my surgeon, my Pain Management Dr. AND my company's medical director??? WTF?!?!

I'm sick of fighting, I'm sick of pain, I'm sick of drugs, I'm sick of being upset. These Insurance companies push and push and push and make us give in!
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 07-28-2006, 09:59 AM

Liberty Mutual will not pay for surgery in Germany. I was lucky to escape the Dr's of New Jersey!!! What a fight it was just to get Dr. Goldstein in NY.
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 07-28-2006, 04:28 PM

I'm back on the fence again after Dr. Goldstein called me this afternoon. He had no inside information but said that things were progressing along and that I should try to hold out as long as I could for the Prodisc. He and I are both comfortable with him implanting a Charite but we both like the Prodisc better. I was misinformed about 2 things that made me feel pretty stupid in front of my surgeon.

1) If I need any test, it's a dexascan not a bone scan. He doesn't feel I need one but since I told him my Dad & Uncle had rheumatoid arthritis, the correct test (should I choose to pay out of pocket) would be the dexa scan.

2) I thought that core replacement surgery could NOT be done on a Prodisc. He told me this was not true although he has not seen it personally. He said revision is possible and where did I get this information. (If I find one of you steered me wrong I'm gonna sneak into your house and hide your meds)

I explained to Dr Goldstein that Liberty Mutual W.C. was hanging on the name of the implant and not the procedure itself. Shouldn't the surgeon decide what disc to use and not some paper pushing, insurance adjusting, snot nosed, stuck up, selfish, uncaring, blah blah woof woof.
OK I understand everyones hands are tied since the Prodisc is not approved but once it's approved, I then need Dr.'s letters to give to my medical director to show why the Prodisc is better than the Charite. It's a fight I'm real tired of fighting but I will give it one more week. I can't wait until September to rid myself of this awful pain that NEVER goes away. The last thing I needed today was a letter from my disability nurse saying they will only cover the FDA approved disc...DUH! No really DUUUHH!! Like my surgeon is going to lose his license implanting an unapproved disc. I HAVE BEEN HOLDING OUT IN SEVERE PAIN FOR THE PRODISC APPROVAL FOR MONTHS!!! LIKE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN SUFFER! IF THEY APPROVE THE PRODISC, HOW CAN THEY DENY IT WHEN THEY ALREADY APPROVED MY ADR SURGEON WHO SHOULD MAKE ALL THE CALLS ON WHAT PROSTHESIS, PROCEDURE, AND EVEN THE MASK HE CHOOSES TO WEAR!
Anyway I have a stack of letters and I'll get a stack more to send to Liberty Mutual. I'll assume for now that the cost of the Charite & the Prodisc is the same. The only other reason for me not getting a Prodisc may be that it's unproven?

Could anyone with inside info please register at a friends house, make up a silly name like Dr. Quackenbush, and give us the inside scoop we need? I know someone reading this knows more than they can admit so how about a nice thick rumor from an unspecified source?

You have one week. The clock starts now...
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 07-28-2006, 05:41 PM

eddie
use the facts
http://www.dhwaldron.net/adr/pdf/
has the fda findings numbers favor prodisc
good luck and i hope you over come the damn insurance co
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 07-28-2006, 10:39 PM

Thanks. I WILL continue to fight. I waited in pain for too long to give up now. I can wait 2 more months but it should be less. I will fax all this link info and the 4 doctors reports that are pro ADR to my company's new medical director. The last director was very nice. I just hope the new guy is progressive and not a fossil or a fusion head. Luckily I know his boss and can cash in favors with some VP's in my company.
THIS 'AINT OVER YET!
I HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO FIGHT!
I REALLY NEEDED A KICK IN THE *** AND A MOMENT OF CLARITY.
I MAY GET A SORE HEINEY BUT AT LEAST MY BACK WILL FEEL BETTER!!!

It's Prodisc or no disc baby!!!
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 07-29-2006, 04:46 AM

wishing you the best of luck with your insurance company. i'll have a new fight with blue crap when i return germany but i will start with a blood trirsty lawyer right away.
wishing you the best
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later