ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disky View Post
...Do some people need more bone removal than others and this somehow effects the outcome? THANKS!
Yes, if you look at different MRIs from different people, or even your own vertebrae, you may note growths or asymmetries. Everyone's bones are different in terms of shape, densities, etc.

The process of healing from the bone cutting is a little different for everyone. Some people over-respond with inflammatory responses, others not. Either way, that's why NSAIDs should be used for cervical ADR carefully. Lumbar as well, but perhaps less dosing. Both will prevent overgrowth (HO or autofusion).

See: http://www.neuros.net/en/osteoporotic_fractures.php

And the 3D image further down this page:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/profess...enerative-disc
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-14-2015, 09:13 PM

Thanks, Harrison! Thank you for the clarification and I will check out those links!

One more question I'd like to put out there... My surgeon says there's not reason to do a discogram. He doesn't like them - thinks they give false positives etc. plus you can clearly see the disc is basically gone at C5C6 and everything else looks normal. Nerve EMG also reports C5C6 so do you think I should trust this and not do one? I don't really see the point either but am I missing something?

THANKS!
Old 01-15-2015, 02:59 AM

Yes Mike, the surgeons that have seen me since that nerve root block said I was lucky not to sustain worse complications from the cord injury, they believe I suffered a spinal shock!
I did have a discogram prior to the nerve root block, and though the test was uncomfortable, it did not hurt as much as the nerve root block (because of the cord injury) as the nerve root block was suppose to produce some pain relief! The results from the discogram were not useful either, as they were positive at 4 levels, and later the surgeons thought I need to treat 2 or 3 levels (not all agreed on which levels). Additionally, the discogram was done to help determine which of the levels that are herniated are responsible for my pain symptoms. However, in your case, you only have 1 level (C5-C6) so not sure about the value of the discogram!
Wishing you the best,
Dema
, little effect on pain
Considering surgery (typical questions, which type & which surgeon!)
Old 01-16-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dema View Post
= However, in your case, you only have 1 level (C5-C6) so not sure about the value of the discogram!
Wishing you the best,
Dema
Thanks, Dema! My surgeon said it was unnecessary also but one that I'm not going with suggested it. I don't see the point either. Hope you're spine is healed soon so you can get the treatment you need!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disky View Post
Thanks, everyone! Bae is very comfortable with the Prodisc he just prefers Mobi-C. I'll push for Mobi-C if I can but I'm going forward either way. Just got my date: FEBRUARY 24TH!!! Nervous but also excited. This has been a long time coming.

Colorado B: how much pain were you having before? Nerve damage you think? Pain in your arms etc? My pain is mostly limited to just my neck and upper traps. It's not completely debilitating (although it has been) but it's extremely uncomfortable 24/7 - I really hope this changes that.

THANKS!
I was in a lot of Pain. Deliberating headaches, pain in my arms and shoulders and numbness on my left side.
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 01-27-2015, 07:17 PM

Hey everyone! I'm one month away from my scheduled surgery and having the 'I hope this is the right decision' jitters! Since my surgery is for pain only, I'm wondering if anyone that has had ADR wouldn't mind weighing in on their results specifically for pain?

I know there are varying opinions on whether or not to do surgery for pain since discs can look bad that are actually asymptomatic etc, but since I'm only one level, I'm hoping my situation is more cut and dried. My biggest fear is ending up worse!

I'm attaching one of my X-Ray shots also if anyone wants to check it out! Most surgeons have felt c5c6 was very likely the source of my pain, but some cautioned you can never be sure, even with a discogram. I've been dealing with this for three years so I feel like if I have a shot at getting better, I should take it! But then you hear things like 'there is no magic pill' and if there isn't, then why am I doing this?!

Would love to hear you thoughts! THANKS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xray_001.jpg (97.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-29-2015, 02:56 AM

Why argue when a picture speaks a thousand words? What are your pain levels like?

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewrad View Post
Why argue when a picture speaks a thousand words? What are your pain levels like?
Thanks, Drewrad. Pain varies from 'this isn't that bad' to 'I can't move my head -- I think I'm gonna scream!' plus I'm aware of it 24/7. Driving home from work every day is usually the worst. A month ago I had a spell where it overtook me and that lasted a few weeks but that type of pain hasn't returned thankfully. It gave me a glimpse of what a '9' or above is and all I can say is, wow - I feel so terrible for people that experience that daily.

I'm 'only' 38 and with two young children, I would really like to get better. I feel like I have to at least try. It's just so scary with so many risks involved -- the main thing I'm worried about is it not working!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:56 PM

Default Mobi-C

The decision is an easy one, do it.

If I were doing the cervical, it would be the Mobi-C.

Speaking from experience, if you are having any nerve issue, the sooner the better.

Have talked to people that have the disc, cervical, and like me, except the weakness issue, this may take a LONG time to resolve, but the pain is GONE.

All the best,

L2-3 herniation, two days before Thanksgiving, 2012, Discectomy/Laminectomy, 3/13 Numbness in the right leg, lateral femoral, gone, July 10, 2014 L45 M6 ADR, July 15 PLIF L5-S1, Not able to access L51 Anterior.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:35 PM

That's very reassuring, Jerry5! Fortunately I don't have the weakness issue. Mostly just irritated nerve causing stenosis and pain. Scheduled for Feb 24th! Hopefully no insurance hangups. Apparently my insurance doesn't cover Mobi-C but will do ProDisc. My surgeon is extremely comfortable with both so hoping for the best!