ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 PM

Default Need Opinions: Stem Cells vs. ADR

Hi, I am a new member and struggling with my decisions. I have had back issues for 3 years - diagnosed DDD L4/L5, L5/S1. After a car accident in Dec, I was in a downward spiral. In May, I was in bed 16 hours each day , absolutely no physical activity. I had stem cells with Dr. Centeno in Colorado in June and scheduled a 2 level ADR in Barcelona on July 17. I have already paid for the ADR, booked tickets and hotel.

My wonderful issue is that 3 days ago, I started feeling relief from the stem cells that were injected in June. For the last 3 days, I have not been walking like a 90 year old gunslinger - I look "normal". I have not taken a single drug in 3 days. Dr. Centeno wants me to have 3 treatments and I have only had one.

The stem cells are in my back, hips and SI - not in my discs so the discs never repair - only the surrounding tissue, muscle, joints. I do not feel full relief. I have pain, but it could be manageable. My problem is that I am so mentally fatigued. Three years of fighting - leaves me with wanting a more permanent and pain-free solution even if it means the ADR surgery.

Has anyone been to Dr. C? Anyone have the 3 treatments? Any thoughts from the ADR community that has already gone to the other side? All opinions are welcome.

2010 Disc Herniations at L4/L5 and L5/S1 (13mm)
Natural Recovery with PT, Chiro, Pilates, Inversion
12/12 Head on Car Accident
2/13 DDD at L4/L5 and L5/S1 - Rapidly deteriorating
6/13 Stem Cells at Centeno in Colorado
7/17 Schedule for 2 level ADR with Clavel
Old 07-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Exclamation

Mary, I am so sorry, but this may be good news? And OMG, you pre-paid for your surgery -- services not yet rendered in another country?

"...I have already paid for the ADR, booked tickets and hotel..."

Moving this to the new member section, with a 1 day reminder and redirect...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-06-2013, 01:34 PM

I took money off the table as part of the decision making process. Even though we already paid, I decided a long time ago that money should never be part of how these decisions are made. My two recommendations for a multi-level fusion (one from a neurosurgeon and the other an orthopedic surgeon) could have been easily paid for by medical insurance months ago.
Feb 2013 DDD at L4/L5 and L5/S1
June 2013 Stem Cells at Centeno in Colorado
July 2013 2 level ADR with Clavel
Old 07-06-2013, 01:58 PM

I had one stem cell injection into the disc at L5 S1. No relief. I am scheduled for. Disc replacement in a few weeks at TBI.
March 2013: Went back to same doc, who said "we know we fixed the disc", and steered me down the path to a SI joint fusion--did not get.
June 2013: Saw Dr. Zigler at TBI. Scheduled for L5-S1 disc replacement August 1.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:28 PM

Thanks for responding. Dr. Centeno (who I would consider the godfather of stem cells for US) injected into all the surrounding lumbar tissue, SI, hips . . . not the discs. I cannot find any solid documentation that disc injection works. Stem cells need blood flow and there is not enough blood flow in the discs to achieve regeneration. Hence, the theory is to repair the damaged tissue around the damaged discs and support the back not to create a new disc.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:57 PM

Mary, if I were you this would support my decision to get ADR. If the stem cell therapy worked and fixed surrounding structures, that is good for an ADR. If you had pain coming from elsewhere which happened because of DDD, fixing the disc won't necessearily solve other issues in the area. However if they are now healing then you may have long term relief with an ADR. If the disc is still bad, the pain will likely still return at some point because the cause wasn't addressed.
Just my opinion from lots of reading, I'm not educated in biology or anything
Kept lifting weights heavily, running daily until December when woke up with radiculopathy in right arm and constant back/neck pain.
Tried PT around March/April. No effect.
Currently consulting surgeons and trying to figure out money.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:40 PM

I appreciate your opinion. I am leaning towards the surgery. The bones still touch and the root of the problem is still there.

On a side note . . . Have you tried?
Inversion table - helps with alignment and opening the disc space in new ways.
Neurolumen Or another TENS type machine. Neurolumen has laser and TENs. They return for free if it doesn't work for you.
NMT (neurological massage) or Trigger point - can really dig out a muscle or nerve
Dry Needling - hard to find and painful, but can release some issues.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 PM

Ive tried inversion, traction, and TENS. Nothing made a noticeable difference. I wish you best of luck with your surgery, it sounds like your on the right track.
Kept lifting weights heavily, running daily until December when woke up with radiculopathy in right arm and constant back/neck pain.
Tried PT around March/April. No effect.
Currently consulting surgeons and trying to figure out money.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:49 PM

I am just posting my conclusion in case someone reads and has a similar issue.
For the last three days, I went spinning each day for 30 min. I was very grateful to be able to do this activity. On the 4th day, my back was hurting again significantly. I then went to a store to try on some clothes. My foot slipped and came down hard on the floor. I screamed out loud in the dressing room. The bones are touching . . . same ol' structural issues.

I reminded myself what I did last summer including 50 mile bike trips, 3 hour kayak trips, 20 mile hikes into the base of the grand canyon and back. My son is 16 and we want to hike Machu Pichu . . . my husband and I leave the 14th for Spain . . . surgery is the 17th.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:38 AM

Hi Mary,
I have tried Inversion, Tens, Trigger point (still do it but for MPS). Almost every conservative treatment My doctors and I could think of. End result, I went to Europe and got a disc replacement, actually 3 disc replacements.
Take care and don't push your recovery.