ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:19 AM

Hi Bill,
have you tried using a thigh pillow when you are sleeping? That does help to stabilise the pelvis and the pelvic area.
Best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 03-24-2005, 09:45 PM

Not lately. I have used body pillow for years to help me sleep. Right now after reading some of the techniques to fix the problem of SI joints it sounds more and more like what I have wrong. I have been thinking for weeks that if I could just pop the area it would feel better, feels almost like hip is locked or something at times. Did few of the techniques on page list above and it feels better.

We'll see what therapist can do tomorrow, hopefully back to normal before too long and can figure out how to avoid in future. That is, if this is the problem.

Take care and will update tomorrow.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:51 AM

Bill,

Are you overdoing it? For a three-level ADR in over 9 months, maybe running and lifting wts. might be too much. (Regan told me that I'll never be able to lift more than 30 lbs post ADR but I think he meant spinal loading. "Distraction pain"?

Does swimming hurt you. I'm getting a swim gut float that I hope w/minimize exercise pain which seems to result from the torsion of the crawl. I never considered to run after my potential two level ADR but whaddy'a I know? Best - ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:29 AM

Do I think I could be overdoing it? That always seems to be the question. I really don't think so, based upon the response I have had until recently with workouts and speaking with my doctors.

I went to see PT today. After exam he doesn't feel as though its SI joint. Thinks its more of hip flexor and possibly facet joints. We went over my exercise routine and the only concern he seemed to fine was that my core exercises(crunches etc..) were not in the greatest form. Amazing, here I thought I was being so good and doing them well and after going over them again I really got sloppy not paying attention. In fact, doing the crunches brought on the pain immediately. Who knows?

He gave me an exercise to really stretch out the hip flexor and a new ab workout to key in on abs and making sure I don't let the hips flex while doing them. Wants me to stop my other ab workout but go ahead back to my other routine including lifting, treadmill and elliptical as I am able to do them without a problem. Its just the walking on it afterward that bothers me and hopefully the stretch will help.

And also to give doctor a call and get checked out to make sure were on the right track. I actually have a call in already and hope to get checked out in week or two.

Time will tell. I am aching a bit in area from all the movement of the leg/hip this a.m.

Take care, bill

Old 03-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Banned

Bill,
I'm wondering what the hip flexor exercise your PT gave you is.. and hoping you'll be feeling better with your new routine~
Old 03-25-2005, 09:46 AM

Mariaa:

Basically knee to chest with the knee being the one that is not the side bothering me. Holding it for 2-3 minutes. We tried letting the other leg drop off table to really stretch but was too much for now, so just starting with that and I can feel it pulling the hip on the left side when pulling my right knee to chest. We'll see. When I held this for 2-3 minutes and stood up I had relief from the pain I was having. Of course it came back shortly but that told us something.

Considering I plan on working out today, the pain is not debilitating, just enough to worry one when you have been through what I have been. I also worry as I tend to have a high pain threshold and let things go and become bigger problems as result, so trying to nip this in bud.

Bill

Old 04-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Banned

Bill,

How are you feeling?--Any better?

Justin
Old 04-01-2005, 11:21 AM

Actually, I spoke with Dr. Balderston's assistant on Monday as I was hurting pretty bad on Sunday into Monday. She called back and suggested no exercise, no stretching, nothing and 2 alleve in morning and 2 at night. Within 8 hours of taking the pills I was fine. I still feel a small tightness in area and was told to stop for 2 weeks. I am having hard time not stretching and working out.

So for now, just waiting for the remaining tightness to go away. I haven't taken Naprosyn since back in 90's and I am sold on it. I was taking ibuprofen with no luck up until the switch to the naprosyn.

Anyway, thanks for checking in, take care.

Bill

Old 04-02-2005, 12:40 AM

Hey Bill

Glad you got a plan. Stick to it. (like I shud be giving advice ;-)

I pulled a muscle in my mid back on that last bonzi snowmobile ride and I couldn't do diddly w/o aggravating it. Laid off for two weeks, walked more, took stairs instead of elevator that kind of thing, now it's better.

Scott
Old 04-02-2005, 09:31 AM

Your right Scott, "stick to it" but boy its tough not working out now after going so long not doing it and getting in a real good groove. Plus I pretty much feel fine now, I can feel it a bit at end of day, but only if I really try to if you know what I mean. If I didn't know I had a problem it would likely not be noticeable.

Rest is def. the key here. Question of course will be if it comes right back when I start exercising again. Going to start slow again and just do cardio first for a couple days and then to lifting to see if anything brings it back to life. Hopefully not.

Take care and have a good weekend. Its a soaker here!!

Bill