ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 AM

Default New member...info on U.S. doctors

Hi everyone, I'm David. This is my first post and I'm still navigating my way around the site but already have found some very useful information. I've been looking for ADR info on and off for a while now and am so glad I found the forum here.

My story began when I started having pain in my neck and between the shoulder-blades around Jan '07. I tried to live with it for a while but the pain got worse and I eventually had an MRI that revealed a ruptured disk at C-7/T-1 and degeneration at C-5/C-6. After two opinions I ended up getting an ACDF April '07. I was told the C-5/C-6 disc was not bad enough to warrant surgery.

After the surgery the pain was not immediately gone but as my body healed I eventually became pain free. The recovery from the surgery was more intense than I was prepared for. I was out of work 5 months, in a neck brace 4 weeks and couldn't speak above a whisper for 2 months as my vocal nerve was pinched during the procedure.

In August '09 once again I started having pain in my neck, this time accompanied by pain between the shoulder-blades and symmetrical lower rib cage pain. I saw my family doc (multiple times), 3 ortho docs, 2 kidney docs and 2 gastro docs and got another MRI, this time C-spine and T-spine. All three ortho doctors said the symmetrical rib pain was not related to my neck and didn't know what was causing it. The T-spine MRI showed no problems, however the C-spine showed a continuation of the DDD at C-5/C-6. One of the Ortho docs prescribe 5 weeks PT.

Since Aug '09, the pain has gotten progressively worse and is now to the point that it's affecting my ability to work, not to mention it's affect on my overall quality of life. I had another round of PT in 2011 and do home PT as well but am conceding that I'm probably going to have to have surgery again. I will have an MRI in the next couple of weeks and will proceed from there but I am resolute that I want the best possible outcome if surgery is required and am willing to take some time, research and do this right.

Having read many of the posts here and other places, it seems that the most important aspect of a considered surgery is the performing doctor. That leads me to my question for anyone who knows...

Does anyone have a list, or knows where I can find a list of the most experienced ADR surgeons in the US??

ps. I prefer to look at my options in the US before searching abroad. I have Aetna PPO and live in central NC but also have airline travel benefits and can fly for free. I am willing to travel for a very experienced ADR surgeon but would prefer the surgeon to be either in my area (Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro, Charlotte), Chicago area, Houston area, or anywhere east of a line from Houston to Minneapolis.

Thankyou!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Hey, Dave:

Here's a good start: http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f50...doctors-11140/

There's a good spine clinic in Charlotte, I met a few docs there years ago. Name escapes me at the moment -- first name Dom?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-05-2014, 01:14 AM

Hi Dave,

I wish you the best in finding the best doctor. To complicate your life more.

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f63...eration-12597/

Sorry