ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Question Stenum Seminar in Atlanta

Several patients asked me recently about the Stenum seminar tomorrow in Atlanta, but I have no information on it. Is Dr. Ritter Lang presenting on any particular topic?

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-07-2009, 11:41 PM

Default Also

I hear that Br Bergtagnoli will be touring the US for a few weeks at the end of February. I wonder if he will be doing any public speaking on this trip.

6/08- Disco results- C6/7 painful, C5/6 popping sounds

7/08- Plasma disc decompression-significant relief obtained

11/08- pain returned to almost pre surgical levels

1/09 -Disco w/ Dr Ziglar shows C5/6 & C6/7 painful-2 level ADR recommended

2/26/09 - c4-c7 ADR Prodisc Nova with Dr Bertagnoli. 100% Success but need C6/7
ADR revision due to subsidence.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:56 AM

I spoke with Dr. Ritter-Lang today in Atlanta. I brought along my MRIs, XRays and CT scan. I can honestly say the horror stories being told about him are false. I met a man with compassion for people and his patients and a passion for medicine.

He looked at my films (and my wife's) and spent more time studying them than any three doctors I've had here in the US. Fearing he would mirror what others had diagnosed, he pointed to the disc at L5/S1 as the problem disc. He explained that the other problems I have will be resolved in replacing that disc. He let us ask questions, was patient and thoughtful in his responses. He convinced my wife that ADR was the best course of action for her and suggested she call her surgeon Monday and change from the fusion surgery she had already scheduled.

There have been many negative stories about this man and I now firmly believe the stories are one sided and if all of the facts were to be told, could be easily disproven. It's a shame that overseas medical treatment has become such a competitive business and tactics such as mudslinging go on. I've been in technical sales almost my entire adult life and I've never, I repeat NEVER seen such lowbrow tactics used against competitors. It's childish and petty. These men, these doctors are trying to help people that are in distress that can't get proper treatment in our own country. Do they know their sales and marketing staff use such tactics? If they do know and turn a blind eye, what sort of information and treatment would you get from a doctor such as that?

I realize that a prominant spinal surgeon is a backer of this forum. I seriously doubt, as a respected and dedicated healer, that he would condone the trashing of others in his field and the negative campaigning against his peers or their products of choice.

Sorry about the soapbox thing (again),

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc L5/S1
4 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 5 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 L4/5 & L5/S1 Maverick disc at Stenum
Old 02-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Question Still Wondering...

Thanks for posting folks. Bob, no problem with the “soap box” thing, that’s what this board is about – discussing important issues.

Not sure what all the negativity is about – but I do need to explain a few things. There’s been a great deal of misinformation about this board in the past few months, but I’ll let it go. I don’t have the energy to wallow in that mud right now. So:

- There is no surgeon that is “backing” this forum. The Arthroplasty Patient foundation has two board members who are surgeons. And more doctors are joining this year. These doctors are simply not involved in the operations of this discussion board. Frankly, they don’t have the time; I don’t know think they have the interest.

- My role as the editor and journalist is to provide information from patients, journals and other sources; that’s why I put the FAQ on Stenum together some time ago. There were many people hurt within a period of two years; I simply consolidated the topics thereafter as a service. As there appears to be fewer problems, there are fewer posts by me on the subject. It’s really that simple.

I am not a spine broker or consultant. I just want people to get back on their feet and get back to their lives. I get no fees by referring business; neither does the non-profit Arthroplasty Patient Foundation. Any and all of this information is communicated on the corporate tax return, which is of public record.

And honestly, it’s up to you guys to figure out what doctor you should see. I just wanted to know more about the meeting in Atlanta. Was it a seminar? Or patient consults?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:59 PM

Richard,

You read too much into what my post was about.

On all of the forums it seems as though it's a race between disc #1 against disc #2 and disc #3 against disc #1. There is also a large degree of that concerning the surgeons that perform the ADR implants on a daily basis.

My point, and it is my only point, is simply this:

When did these forums lose sight over who the true collective enemy is? In my opinion, the enemy is spinal pain, not a surgeon trying to help people or a medical device trying to create a better product.

In a perfect world, the moderators of the forums would bury the hatchet (buried in the ground, no skull whacking) and coordinate efforts to create environments to better inform those such as myself that have stumbled onto these forums looking for help and guidance.

You have to admit there's been a fair amount of product and surgeon bashing going on in both forums. I'm not pointing a finger at anyone. All I'm trying to point out is that these distractions prevent rather than advance readers participation and understanding.

I guess I'm appealing to you and Mark to try to patch things up and also make everyone feel welcome and cared for in both forums.

I appreciate the efforts of both of you gentlemen to try to arm people such as myself with the information and understanding to win our individual battles with our spinal conditions.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but as one we can win, if we divide, we fail.

Soap box Bob
Old 02-08-2009, 04:30 PM

Default !

Bob,

Before my surgery at Stenum, I spoke with Dr. Zechel about my concerns the day before my surgey. I think we spoke for at least an hour and He wanted to make sure that all my questions and concerns were answered and dealt with. He not only looked again at my MRIs, but even did a hands on examination of me. He was the nicest guy you ever met and eased my mind. I also was very aware of the risks going in and Dr. Ritter-Lang did my surgery. Everyone at Stenum was great. Sure there are people that did not have outcomes they wanted, but hey, people have had bad results from going to the dentist.

I like this forum, but when I joined I was told in so many words to watch out for Stenum. I am on here to tell my success story and to give other people options. This surgery isn't for everyone as like they say on here, it depends on what you come in with.

I urge everyone to research all options before making the leap and I am offering just one of them.

Mark
Multiple facet blocks and epidurals
L5-S1 annular tear 8-08 lased with ELD
October 08 back to work
Old 02-08-2009, 07:07 PM

Thumbs up

Mark,

Well said ........ I too only have great things to say about Stenum.

Thank you!

Todd

http://maverick-disc.blogspot.com/

My ADR video's can also be seen on www.youtube.com
print ( newdisc ) into the space bar.

Stenum hospital ....Germany 10-19-07

* Walked 9 miles on the tread mill 5-10% grade (8-29-08)

* 10 mile Mountain hike on 10-11-08 (completed)
Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 PM

Mark and Todd,

I left the meeting with absolutely no reservations about the doctor or his facility. I must admit when I first heard/ read the stories I almost ruled out Stenum as a possibility.

Over time I've noticed that there seem to be bad surgical outcomes from different doctors using different discs.

I have every confidence that this time next year I'll be able to live life the way I was living it before the back issues started.

Bob
Old 02-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Exclamation

Thanks you guys, your point of view is clear. Bob, if I can improve this forum with your (or anyone's) ideas, I'd love to talk! I no longer visit other forums, primarily because of time constraints. So if there are "things that have to patched up," I can't and won't involve myself in such issues I have purposefully ignored to preserve my sanity. If I go "there" into those dark issues it's purely for reasons of legal mediation.

But you do raise a good point -- I think the hardware issue is sometimes over-emphasized. At the end of the day, it's the experience of the surgeon and the trust and respect a patient nurtures with that professional that faciliates a "comfortable" decision.

Whether it be Stenum fans, fusion patients, or disruntled postal workers, you are ALL welcome here. In the meantime, I give up on finding an answer to the original question.

Peace, really.
Closed Thread