ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM

The not mixing fruits and vegetables - can you have both in the same day but not mix together and drink at once or or only have one or the other for the day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
What does MMI mean Robert?

Also, a great way to lose weight is to go on a juice fast. Likely your body will feel light years better on just fresh juice than it does on food. I have a $100 Jack LaLanne juicer from Bed Bath & Beyond and I LOVE IT! (They will replace it for free, FOREVER if it breaks!)

Here is a link with everything you need to know about it: Fasting

The first four days you WILL be hungry, but after that, the hunger disappears. As long as you don't chug the juice and accidentally restart the peristaltic action in your stomach, you will get no hunger pains until your body is done fasting. And believe me, you will KNOW. When your body is done you will be RAVENOUSLY hungry. My husband and I went on a 21 day juice fast and we made it 20 and a half. At about mid day on the last day we looked at each other and said, "I'm FAMISHED!" "Me too!" "Co-op!" Then we ran down to our local co-op for fresh veggies and raw food. (You do NOT want to jump straight back on hamburgers and the like, it could land you in the hospital). The first week after the fast should be raw foods, as close to their natural state as possible, and broth. Do not reintroduce meat until a week after breaking the fast. You should lose about a pound a day, AND feel GREAT!

Let me know if you want more info. I would be happy to walk you through it and support you as best I can.

Obviously, I am not a doctor, and this does not constitute medical advice. Just saying what worked for me in the past.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPatti View Post
The not mixing fruits and vegetables - can you have both in the same day but not mix together and drink at once or or only have one or the other for the day?
You actually CAN mix them. It is more for taste than anything. For instance, carrot, apple, and kale tastes GREAT! You just wouldn't want to mix, say, orange and kale.

I juice some pineapple, carrots, lemon, orange, apple, and turmeric and it is FABULOUS! AND the turmeric is an anti-inflammatory! If you can't find fresh, you can always add powdered.

Word to the wise: No matter how much you hear that the nutrition is in the rind DO NOT juice a whole watermelon, rind and all. Especially do not do this your first day of the fast. Additionally, do not decided to go on a hike. Trust me on this. You're welcome.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:17 AM

[QUOTE=Lillyth;97923]What does MMI mean Robert?

MMI Medical Maximum Improvement

I am on workman's comp for this injury. Thank you for the fasting and juice info. When I worked out regularly I would make my own juice and felt great. Though I never thought about fasting with it.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 AM

Thanks, I questioned because the link you attached said not to mix. I usually have a green smoothie made in vita-mix for breakfast and one of my favorites is kale, pineapple (with core for bromelain), carrot, and kiwi. Sometimes ginger instead of kiwi or a small chunk of lemon. I also add chia seeds to my smoothies. I usually do an Isagenix 10 day cleanse twice a year and have been happy with results. I have used the vita-mix so much we put the juicer away, I pulled out last night and am starting with the goal of a 5 day juice cleanse, may go longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
You actually CAN mix them. It is more for taste than anything. For instance, carrot, apple, and kale tastes GREAT! You just wouldn't want to mix, say, orange and kale.

I juice some pineapple, carrots, lemon, orange, apple, and turmeric and it is FABULOUS! AND the turmeric is an anti-inflammatory! If you can't find fresh, you can always add powdered.

Word to the wise: No matter how much you hear that the nutrition is in the rind DO NOT juice a whole watermelon, rind and all. Especially do not do this your first day of the fast. Additionally, do not decided to go on a hike. Trust me on this. You're welcome.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPatti View Post
Thanks, I questioned because the link you attached said not to mix. I usually have a green smoothie made in vita-mix for breakfast and one of my favorites is kale, pineapple (with core for bromelain), carrot, and kiwi. Sometimes ginger instead of kiwi or a small chunk of lemon. I also add chia seeds to my smoothies. I usually do an Isagenix 10 day cleanse twice a year and have been happy with results. I have used the vita-mix so much we put the juicer away, I pulled out last night and am starting with the goal of a 5 day juice cleanse, may go longer.
Awesome! I will be doing a juice cleanse (fast) as soon after the surgery as I feel able. DEFINITELY want to get those meds out of my system ASAP.

And yeah, the Vita-Mix is the most important tool in our kitchen!

The importance of a juice cleanse as opposed to using the Vita-Mix is that your stomach stops the peristaltic action, and therefore kicks up cellular regeneration and detox into overdrive. DO be aware though that detox can cause headaches, and may increase pain as your body is cleaning itself out.

Read the section entitled "Healing Crisis" carefully.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.