ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:17 AM

Hi Stonewall Boris, how perceptive of you, though not a stressful desk job, but being a dentist puts much stress on my neck & back! And naturally after each working day, the pain levels are quite high.
I noticed you had many sessions of Prolotherapy, how did you respond to it? I only had 3 sessions, and did not affect my pain, so I stopped.
thanks,
Dema
, little effect on pain
Considering surgery (typical questions, which type & which surgeon!)
Old 07-13-2013, 04:15 PM

Hi Dema,

I asked my wife to respond.

From Stonewall's spouse with similar symtoms in the past: I'm 50ish and when I was 16 I was in a car accident. I broke the side window with my head and ended up in the backseat of the car. My neck and upper back were sore for a couple of months but eventually the pain subsided. I've had 3 whiplash experiences, approximately 20 years ago, 15 years ago and 12 years ago. When I went for prolotherapy about 7 years ago, I was in constant pain and was willing to give anything a try. My symtoms seemed similar to yours. I had aching at the base of the skull, lateral to my ears. I had pain in my traps and scapula. I had constant pain in my spine
from the base of my neck to the between the shoulder blades. When I moved my neck, it felt like there was gravel in the painful areas. I had very little mobility in that area, and I would generally move my body rather than turn my neck. I had xrays and was told that everything seemed relatively normal. I started taking a lot of painkillers to find relief, but when they wore off, the pain was still there.

Treatments: Prolotherapy- approximately 15 sessions (The Dr. moved out of Province, I would have continued if he didn't) Massage - Started almost weekly, now once a month Needling - At the pain clinic (4 weekly sessions when I begin to have pain again) Laser therapy - Went for about 10 sessions (could have helped) Physiotherapy - I do not recommend mechanical traction. I quit going after one session when it stretched my neck too much and I was in more pain than before. Acupuncture - Had little or no pain relief. (like putting a bandaide on a gaping wound) Chiropratic - I found adjustments to my neck too tramatic

Now I'm about 85% better. I attribute this positive change to a combination of the above treatments, stretching, Yoga, and being conscious of my posture. I haven't been to the pain clinic for about 6 months. I have a wonderful massage therapist that is well versed in anatomy and trigger point massage. It took me a long time to
find the right massage therapist. I have had my neck stretched by a previous massage therapist that caused even more pain for days.
My doctor prescribed a muscle relaxent, (Cyclobenzaprene) which really helped. Currently, I rarely take any medication.
I hope this helps you. Don't give up until you find what works for you.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:35 PM

Stonewall Boris, I appreciate you asking your wife to respond, and thank you Mrs. Stonewall Boris. The symptoms you describe sound eerily familiar, though my MRI showed disc herniation at C3-C6, and my pain did not respond well to the therapies I tired (PT, message, trigger point therapy, prolotherapy, acupunture & chiropractic) and had similar increased pain levels with manual neck traction and deep messages.
I will continue to look for a good message therapist in my area, and may try Cyclobenzaprene (what was the dose?), I have tried other muscle relaxants which were not effective. I am not familiar with Needling & Laser Therapy (other than Laser Spine Institute!).
Best regards to both,
Dema
, little effect on pain
Old 07-01-2015, 12:23 AM

Smile How are you doing?

Hi Dema,

How are you and your husband doing? I've been thinking about you both a lot and am praying for better days ahead since your accident. Post an update when you are up to it. Sending you both healing thoughts!

Cynlite
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 07-03-2015, 01:33 AM

Hi Cynlite, thanks for all the prayers & get well thoughts. Dema Left legs is still non weight bearing, and need to use crutches for another 3-4 weeks, she broke her ankle, and injured some of the tendons as well as the tibial nerve. Now when left foot is touched in certain areas like the big toe, I get electric jolts shooting up from feet for leg! Like the jolts shooting down from neck down, guess the electric jolts are a two way street now As for the neck & shoulder pain, they are flared up since the accident, but have not addressed that yet given the other issues, will be trying trigger point therapy again, hoping for some temporary relief until hearing back from Netherlands, did you get the report from Dr. Zeegers yet?
, little effect on pain
Old 07-03-2015, 10:20 AM

Dear Dema & Raouf,

I am so sorry to hear of your continuing troubles.

Unfortunately, Dr. Zeegers has not given me any new information. I'll send you an email with an update.

Wishing you both the best,

Cynlite
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016