ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:22 PM

Well, I think that I am going to purchase the Tempurpedic especially since you can return it. If it is not right, then I will search for another one. I was looking at the "number" bed and on some of them you can raise the head - which will be great for after surgery - actually I think the Tempurpedic has a feature like that.

Missing Facet Joint L5-S1
Collapsed Disc L4-5
DDD L3-4
Severe Stenosis
Disco + 3 levels
Sched. Oct. 11 - 2 level ADR & fusion
Dr. John Regan - L.A.
Awaiting approval!
[URL=http://www.lauracedar.com/XrayGallery]www.lauracedar.com/XrayGallery[/U
Old 09-06-2005, 07:43 AM

In my opinion, you will be very happy with tempurpedic.

Are you thinking about getting the celebrity model? If so, let me know.

With the celebrity model, the sheets tend to get (mostly) pulled up during the night. If you know to ask, tempurpedic will send you (free) an extra fitted sheet that will take care of it.

David
Old 09-06-2005, 12:55 PM

My husband and I just ordered the sleep number bed. Anyone else have one? Will let you know what we think if interested.

Andrea

Failed L4-5 diskectomies '93 & '00
ADR originally scheduled 3/9/05; dropped insurance appeal due to new job; new insurance UHC
Old 09-06-2005, 03:30 PM

Andrea, I bought my sleep number bed in Nov. of last year. It was worth every penny spent. The best thing is some nights I need it firmer and then other nights need it softer, and with the push of a button I can put it where I need it. Another thing is having a his and her side of the bed. I sleep so much better on this bed. I really miss it when i'm gone. If you have any questions please let me know. Cathy
Old 09-07-2005, 11:38 AM

Does anyone know the cost of the sleep number off hand? We have been considering a regular mattress with pillow top or a feather bed top but after seeing these posts, we are possibly willing to spend the extra $ to accomplish the difference of the good nights rest with me with the spinal issues and her worrying about them. That seems to be the biggest issue is me getting to sleep at least 4-6 hours in pain vs. her so worried that she will hurt me....any other advice that this very long and helpful thread hasn't offered already is great!

I did lay down for a good period on my friends pillow top mattres and it seemed to not move is why I questioned here. Thx
Old 09-07-2005, 11:48 AM

Sleep # bed website

I did a quick check, and it looks like a queen 5000 model would be around $1,700.00, give or take...

If possible, go to a tempurpedic store and a comfort select store and lay on both of the beds for awhile. Then, you can properly compare them to a traditional type mattress.

I am (obviously) biased towards tempurpedic, but I have been really happy with it over the last month, and I still have 1-2 more months to send it back if I so decide to.

David
Old 09-07-2005, 01:45 PM

We have had our sleep # bed for about 18 months now. We really liked it for the first year or so but over the last few months it seems the middle "baffle" or whatever has degraded and now
the seperate mattresses are no longer really separate. They kind of spill over onto the other person's side and don't have the same support. If my partner is in the bed I am fine. If not, I have to increase the other side of the bed significantly to keep my side from flowing over and being less supportive. I may contact the store to see if they have any suggestions. It is quite annoying.

Feeling great!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:50 PM

Thanks for added measures.....And as we all search for any and ALL beds....does it matter where one would attempt purchasing atempurpedic mattress? We see so many people selling them now: And David I read you bought one direct, was it because you felt better supported? We also see so many choices it heigts and what not, it looks like we will have to go sleep in a store overnight!
Old 09-07-2005, 03:00 PM

For Tempurpedic, it looks like no matter what store you go to, the price of the mattress itself is pretty much the same.

I went to a Brookstone store and then a Relax the Back store in my area to try them out.

The Relax the Back store was exactly the same price as tempurpedic directly.

The Brookstone stone was exactly the same price as Tempurpedic directly. At the time, I think they would give you a $300.00 coupon for other Tempurpedic accessories as well (not to be used on the mattress purchase).

No matter what, I was dealing with:

+ Price of mattress (same)
+ Price of base (same)
+ Delivery (pretty much same ~$150.00)

I am relatively certain that you could return a Tempurpedic back to the point of purchase within the 3 (?) month return window. I just decided that I would rather deal with Tempurpedic instead (I actually have another reason as well. I would be happy to tell you, if you want, via email or PM).

Ultimately, I felt that the only way to really test the mattress was at home in familiar surroundings. With Tempurpedic return policy, it seemed like a safe bet [obvious bias ]

Just to be clear, no, I don't work for Tempurpedic

Another thing that I would like to note is that right now, I have the Tempurpedic "full height base" (about 9.5 inches deep). In retrospect, I think that I should have gotten the "low height base" (about 4 inches deep, otherwise, no difference). I have already discussed it with Tempurpedic directly, and they said that they would be happy to exchange the full height base for the low height base at no additional cost to me.

The only thing that they asked was for me to wait to make sure that I was going to keep the mattress itself before calling to exchange, because they would prefer not to have to make two more delivery runs with their truck.

David
Old 09-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Banned

I'd like to add that shopping the internet can pay off. Though rarely discounted, I purchased my Tempurpedic bed, with all return rights etc. through a website at quite a discount. They carry all 3 beds, with or without a box spring. Please pm or email me for the website... or happy shopping.
Dale