ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:59 PM

Default Hi, hope to be in Germany soon.

Hi,

I am Richard from Las Vegas and have read the website with great interest for the last 3 weeks. I had pins and needles, and some pain in my left tricep and hand for the last 5 months. As a result, I've had problems working out and have become kind of down in the dumps. After trying many thing, like chiropractor massage and others, my doctor finally sent me to a surgeon for mri. Turns out I have DDD and herniated discs touching my nerves in C5-C6, C6-C7, and surgeon said I should have fusion ASAP.

Well I found this site and you all and I want to say thank goodness! Based on your experiences, I sent my MRI to Dr. [FONT=Calibri]Bierstedt, and he confirmed diagnosis however he recommended 2 M6 discs. After talking to him on the phone, I felt really good, he seemed really patient and answered all my questions.

In the meantime, I feel like I'm a fast track to get this done. I got just received my passport, I hope to finalize my arrangements on Monday and will let you know more. I look forward to meeting you all.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:03 AM

Hi Richard
I found this forum not long ago as well. Same sort of story as you, although I had already decided to defy my lovely conservative doctor who said he would rather me take drugs for the rest of my life and have fusion than do something 'edgy'...(ADR)! I just didnt bother trying to convince him that the Europeans (Germany in my case with Dr Beirdstedt) had been doing it for over 15 years, with pretty good outcomes. My surgery (proposed replacement of C5/6, C6/7 with M6 discs and removal of spurs and other monsters having grown (osteophytes) as a result of the herniated disc trauma) is going to occur on 7th Nov (next week!), so will keep the forum posted. There are quite a few people here who have helped me with loads of info on their experience and recovery. Its great to have really up to date accounts of what happens.

The thing for me is that while I might get the occasional reprieve from the pain, tingling, numbness etc (I don't have the headaches so much and maybe this is an issue for C3/4 and above), my MRI showed what's really going on silently in between. The whole vertebrae is collapsing into the spinal cord area (impinging or bending the cord), and I reckon this is dancing with danger, given I am not inclined to just sitting about and taking it easy.

I like to be active and use that body! So I don't want to think about what might happen if I have 'an accident', and the whole thing just shifts a bit further in like a collapsing house of cards..yuk! The other main reason for me taking action so quickly (how good is it that Dr Beirdstedt can see you so quickly by the way), is that I do not want to do permanent nerve damage. I think I will be fine if I act now.

Like you, I found this site a great source of REAL help... So keep an ear open for my posts. 'soreneck' (another poster on the site) is also going in at the same time as me (next Thurs). Will communicate again.
Heidi Helen
C5/6 - disc markedly degenerate w very prominent left paracentral/foraminal component, producing mod-to-high grade stenosis right C6nerve root exit foramen + early facet joint degen. Some deformity & indentation on cord.
C6/7 advanced disc osteophyic complex, effaces anterior CSF space and posteriorly displaces the cord. Mod-to-high grade stenosis of both C7 nerve root exit foramina. Facet joints - minor degeneration.
2 LEVEL ADR Surgery performed by Dr. Bierdstedt - NOV 7th 2013
Old 11-04-2013, 01:36 AM

Default Nice to meet you

Heidi,

I am really excited for you, only a few days away! I realize that surgery is no small matter, but to finally get your life back will be awesome. I cannot wait to hear about your upcoming success. There maybe plenty of questions to follow.

Good Luck.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:21 AM

Hi Richardj,

Dr. Bierstedt and the entire program (hattegin hospital, Medicos) is a top notch operation.

I always have a problem with wishing someone going to see Dr. Bierstedt good luck because, with Dr. Bierstedt, luck isn't needed. But I guess there could always be travel mix ups and such, like we had. So I that case good luck. Don't forget to tell the airlines you are disabled and they will pick you up at the plane and take you to the next gate.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:57 AM

Default Wired money to Germany

Hi Boris,

How long did it take for your wired money to be received in Germany? I assume that it was sent from a U.S. bank? Thanks for the info. With my date coming up so soon, I am beginning to stress out. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:15 PM

Hi Richard,

Sorry a Canadian here. Tpatti gave you a US estimate for time in his case in another post.
Question; I had to wire the hattigen hospital and ONZ. Do their still require 2 wire transfers or have they streamlined it?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:23 PM

Richard,

When is your surgery date?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 PM

I had to wire both, my surgery was 7/16/2013. My bank was able to get the company that handled the exchange to give me the discounted rate based on the total of both transactions even though officially that rate should be for one transfer.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 AM

Default Thanks for your replies

It seems like the 2 separate wires got there, But it took over 14 days. I am leaving tomorrow and crossing my fingers. My surgery is on Thursday. Thanks for all your feedback, and for pioneering what I hope will change my life for the positive. Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:46 PM

Your surgery will be one year minus one day from mine. Hospital rooms in Hattigen are all facing outside which means you get an outside view. If you can I'd suggest a room near the snack area, mine was room 4. I think those rooms have the best view and is close to the snack area and fridge.
Get use to drinking bottled water, plain or with fizz, carbonated.