ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:03 AM

This may be a really dumb question but when a fusion is done can a Charite be done later on. I am debating whether or not to have a fusion done for now and then later on when insurance companies are approving the Charite surgery have that done. Does it work that way?
6 epidurals, nerve block, discogram.
March 11, 2003 discetomy surgery
April 15, 2005- insurance denial. Starting the appeal process.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:14 AM

I am presuming that you mean at the same disc level?

For example, if you have fusion at L4-L5, then can you have ADR later at L4-L5?

My understanding is that you cannot have ADR at the same level *after* fusion has already been done, although the inverse is generally true.

If it helps, I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Fusion has been recommended to me at L4-L5. I am just trying to find an experienced neurosurgeon here in the Midwest to perform ADR instead.

Hope this helps.

David
Old 04-08-2005, 08:59 AM

David,
I do mean at the same level. My problem is L4-5. I was offered the fusion a few times, but I am hesitant about it because I am only 21 and I know I will have more problems down the road if I were to get the fusion now. So I was sent to Towson, MD to meet with a spine doctor (Dr McAfee) who does the Charite' surgery and he wants to do the surgeyr it's just the matter of getting insurance to approve the surgery. I am still waiting to see if they will, but I was trying to have a back up plan as well. I have had back pain since 1997 when I fell out of a tree. I didn't tell anyone i had fallen out of a tree and the pain gradually got worse and here I am now. I have already had one surgery and that did nothing for me. I have been through epidurals, nerve blocks, discograms, PT. You name it I have had it done. I have told my family I would be so thankful if I could just have no pain for one day. I would be the happiest person in the world if I could have no pian and feel like a normal 21 year old instead of an 80 year old woman who lays in bed all the time. If I were to have the fusion done and I did have problems later on maybe they could replace the disks that become worn from the fusion. Who knows? Thanks for you help and listening to me vent.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:11 AM

Pretty much a similar story from my point of view as well.

I am 33 (also with the back of an 80 year old), been this way for about 10 years now (and I am to the point where my quality of life is near zero, in my opinion).

My overall recommendation (for what it is worth): if you can hold on long enough, go for the disc replacement as opposed to fusion (my plan as well).

From what I have read, the recovery for disc replacement is much quicker and better than fusion, and in the long term, disc replacement is a better option than fusion (especially for someone your age and my age).

If you don't mind me asking, what insurance are you covered under? I believe that Aetna just started covering the procedure here in the U.S., and I am aware of a few people getting coverage after appealing to their insurance companies as well (since I have UHC, I imagine I will be in for a battle as well in the near future).

Link to Aetna information (original post can be found in the Big Bucket forum, I believe): http://aetna.com/cpb/data/CPBA0591.html

David
Old 04-08-2005, 09:22 AM

I have Cigna Open Access Plus. I am sure I will have to appeal, but at this point I feel it isn't even worth it because most people are just getting denied. I did hear of someone in Colorado getting approved with my insurance, but then again a lady in California is getting denied. I should know in a few days if I am going to get denied or approved. I have my fingers crossed. Aetna is covering the surgery. I am so determined to have surgery done now, wether it be fusion or laminectomy (sorry for the spelling). I just want to be "normal"
Old 04-08-2005, 09:30 AM

Understandable feeling. I am right with you there. I used to be somewhat active, but it takes pretty much everything I have right now to make it through an 8 hour work day (and I sit at a desk, although doing everything - and nothing - is painful).

I have already written off being able to do anything for the entire year, since I presume it will take me that long to find an experienced surgeon and start fighting with UHC in the *hope* that they will cover some part of the procedure.

david
Old 04-08-2005, 12:10 PM

Hi Cavalib,

Considering your youth (you too David)- you have many years ahead of you. Once one has a fusion at a given level, there are no other options really if you continue to have problems with that level - pretty much a "done deal". However, if you have ADR done and doesn't work out (lets hope it does)- but if it doesn't then you still have fusion as a last resort to turn to.

I sooo understand what you are saying about the insurance coverage and finding an experienced surgeon....It took a lot of soul searching - but I had to do something. I took out a personal loan to get mine done. Granted, I'm in a bit of debt - but I'll trade debt any day to feeling 98% normal again.

I hope something can be worked out for the both of you soon.
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 01:47 PM

Poncho,
I would love to take a loan out but being a student and working two jobs as is, I don't think that is something I can do. If you don't mind me asking, how much is the surgery?
Old 04-08-2005, 01:53 PM

I have a nofault case and I have geico and I was apporved right away. I was told I was apporved the fastet ever at my doctor. I am getting the charite disk and the disk costs about $11,000.

My doctor told me that insurance companies will cover the doctors cost and operating room costs but the disk have to be paid for by the patient in many cases since it is such a new procedure.
Charite Replacement surgery scheduled for whenever my damn insurance company will pay for it
Old 04-08-2005, 02:23 PM

JasonNYC,
Do you know anything about Cigna Open Access Plus? Do you think they might cover the cost of the dr. and operating room? I am still waiting to hear from the insurance company to see if I am approved, no word yet. It's been 2 weeks!!