ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:31 AM

Jenni:
I've thought alot about your question and concept of "prehab" (great term!)and my response has somewhat evolved. I am a cervie, too, and my trapezius and scalene muscles have been in spasm since my injury--one of my hopes is that with surgery they might finally begin to relax, so your mentioning these particular muscles as problem areas post-surgery made me gasp (!). As you say, it sure would be nice if cervical ADR patients would post detailed accounts. At any rate, I do have specific exercises for these muscles prescribed by my PT and was going to post them but then felt uncomfortable because I don't know if they would hurt or help you (sort of like giving out prescription medicines). However, I will post them if you'd like. But my thought is that this whole issue is probably a question to be added to the list of pre-surgery questions--and if you do get a referral to a PT, to ask him. Bottom line is, thank you for raising this issue--I have added it to my own list of questions. Again, I would be happy to post the exercises I am already doing.
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 10-08-2005, 08:55 AM

Sahuaro,

Sorry for the gasp. Reading about those muscles in spasm post-op made me cringe, too... I also have trouble with them now, and some of the scapular muscles.

Thanks for offering to share, but I think you're probably right about the rx analogy. Are your exercises helping you?

-j
Old 10-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Hey y'all, I feel like I have a lot to say about "pre-habbing" the neck muscles! I've been doing that for 10 months now. I am still tracking down the root cause, but my SCM, scalenes and rhomboids are full of trigger points.

If you can, learn how to stretch and strenghten these muscles, while using the Theracane and massage to work out the knots or trigger points. I've noticed that when these muscles are tight, they not only cause pain, but impinge on nerves and vasculature...and that aint good!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-09-2005, 09:58 PM

Harrison--I finally had my "duh!" moment re the Theracane as a result of your post in this context, and will be ordering one. To answer Jenni's question, the exercises definitely do help but the muscles do not fully relax and sometimes are in worse shape than other times. I believe I'm dealing with muscle guarding and if there weren't this natural response, I'd probably be in worse pain (or so I'd like to believe). Anyway, the Theracane seems to be a more practical and acceptable solution than inviting my massage therapist to come live with us, to which for some reason my husband objects--although I don't think he would object if John were blond, Swedish and named Helga.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:34 PM

Sahuaro,

You'll love your Theracane (hubby might have cause to be jealous there!). Also consider one of the "non-cane" shaped trigger point release massagers. The Davies book mentions a few (like the JackKnobber -- who named that thing?!), or I can recommend the Omni Massage Roller (good for t.p. therapy and less focused massage, and fits in a handbag, glove box or desk drawer).

I have a big-time problem with guarding, too. Different than my trigger point troubles and neuro-symptoms of spasm, but quite significant (as you know!) JMO, but I find it most helpful to work on the "guardian" muscles just before sleep, when they can actually relax for a while. The roller (above) is great for this, as well as for general purpose massage. If you get one, name it Helga.

Given that it's my nerve roots and spinal cord that are compressed, it still amazes me that muscle troubles seem to lead to so many of my symptoms. Is that true for you, too?

-j
Old 10-11-2005, 11:17 PM

Thanks, Jenni--great suggestions. "Helga" sounds like just the thing for between patients as well as before sleep.
Have gotten the Theracane and hubby has already made his opinions known!
Old 10-13-2005, 09:44 PM

One of the best ways to prepare for this most MAJOR surgery is to eat right. Eat nutritious foods, avoid junk. It will make a big difference in helping your body to get through those difficult first few days.

Jeff
Two level cervical Mobi-C (C5/6, C6/7) with Dr. Zeegers (successful)
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) with Prof. Dr. Reul (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 10-13-2005, 10:36 PM

Jeff, thanks so much. I need this reminder more than I want to admit.

Did/do you take dietary supplements? I take a multivitamin, glucosamine, and a calcium-magnesium-zinc supplement. I have no idea if it will help ... it's wishful thinking, I guess.

-j
"No more comfort-food baked potatoes with butter, are you serious?"
Old 10-13-2005, 10:39 PM

Well all I can say to this is I waited 6 months before I did anything other than walking, biking and the exercises in the AK booklet, so I probably babied myself more than anyone...yet here I am 7 months later back in the gym doing what I love and getting stronger all the time, I am looking at competing again in a yr or two - that is how well I am doing, I am not 100% pain free, but the old pain is definitely gone, I would have been a bit leary doing the hockey at 6wks, but I am NOT a hockey player, therefore; zero experience w/ hockey means I should not be doing that... whereas someone who is a past hockey player can - I am not saying that anybody else should not take up hockey after ADR, I am saying they shouldn't start for the first time after 6wks of spine surgery...that is why this entire ADR outcome, post-op activity and success stories are in direct relation to the individual and thier own unique abilities, who can do what and when..(6wk recovery applies to all) as it simply applies to each individuals age, shape and PRIOR ACTIVITY EXPERIENCE.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:23 PM

Thanks, Laura. From you (given your comprehensive knowledge of physiology, and your ADR experience) that means a lot to me.

I don't want to play hockey (tho' that would be really funny, since I've never done it and skate about as well as a soapdish).

I DO want to keep up with my herd of giant breed dogs and occasional rescues/fosters. I know what it takes to do that, and feel more confident in your words that I can continue wisely, based on what I know, if I'm smart about it.

PT is obviously important, as prescribed pre- and post-op, but it's the activities of my chosen life that matter most to me. I'm just faking it now (badly, sadly), but want it back for real some day. So, thanks Laura, for the hope that I can have it back (and without having to look like you! Whew!).

-j