ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:53 PM

Default Newbie

I was searching the web for information about ADR and found this site. Sure glad I did. Been reading a lot of the discussions and have found them useful. Hopefully this will enable me to understand my condition even more.

Background info:

I'm 21 and was diagnosed with DDD in my L5/S1 in 2004 during the end of my sophomore year in high school. I've had all the standard procedures, MRI/Discogram/x-rays/physical therapy/acupuncture/chiropacter/epidural injections. The epidural shots have not provided me with relief. The discogram was negative. I ive in Minnesota and have been going to Midwest Spine Institute in Stillwater. My doctor is Dr. Butterman. He is leading a study for the Activ-L. He said I was a good candidate for the study. We set up a date for the surgery for Oct 8, 2008. I had dropped out of school, preparing to have the surgery and change my life around. A month ago, I received a phone call telling me I had not fit the criteria for the study. Apparently I'm not in enough pain for study. They were quick to suggest a fusion but I would only want that if it is my last option. Dr. Butterman also told me in March 08 that I had around a year left to do surgery or else if would be hard to operate on my disc due to not having enough space to replace it with an artificial disc.

I'm looking to find a second opinion through a doctor my mom had visited for a brain tumor, he also does spine surgery. My current office has not sent my information over so I'm waiting to hear back from the new doctor.

I wish I had more information about specific details such as the MRI reports/x-rays etc. I will try to post them when I get a chance to see them. I just want to get some posts going and see what other members could give me advice on.

I would like ADR but I don't have the means to pay for it. My mother and I have been trying to get information about insurance coverage and have found out that it is slim to none. My primary is Medica(Dad), and secondary is Healthpartners(Mom)(parents divorced).

Thanks for your time,
Craig Spande
Old 10-05-2008, 02:40 PM

We have had people on the forum get ADR when they were bone on bone with no disk space remaining. The fear there isn't the disk space but that the lack of disk space might trash the facet joints (which aren't replaced during ADR) and prevent you from being able to get ADR at all.

Distraction pain, which is the pain from being stretched to push the ADR in place, is much greater the smaller your disk space is when you get the ADR but that is something that eventually subsides.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 10-05-2008, 04:25 PM

ahh okay that makes sense, I'm not as worried about that then.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspan View Post
ahh okay that makes sense, I'm not as worried about that then.
It's still something to watch very carefully. Too much facet damage and you're either out of the running for ADR or will always have pain regardless of how well the ADR works for you. I was hoping to point out that it's a two step problem, short disk height leads to facet problems, not a one step problem of just disk height.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 10-05-2008, 05:08 PM

WOW Craig. You sure are young to have DDD and be considering ADR surgery or fusion. This hardware has to last you a long time. I had 4-level ADR at age 49 but started rupturing discs in my early twenties. I would hope you get another opinion as this sounds pretty drastic for a young man of your age.

Please keep us informed as we will support you in the process. What part of Minnesota are you from? I am a graduate of U of M and worked at St. Josephs Hospital in St. Paul and Hazelden in St. Paul. I have been gone from there for many years but go home to the wife's family in North St. Paul every Christmas.

Hang in there Craig. I love your stomping grounds.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 10-05-2008, 06:09 PM

I am originally from Savage, but my mom lives in Eagan and I am staying in St. Paul for classes at the University of St. Thomas.

I definitely do want to get the second opinion as it seems like my doctor is ready to perform the fusion without question. My next appointment is on the 23rd. Ideally I want to have the second opinion before my next appointment with Dr. Butterman.

Although I would like to have some relief from the pain, which I'd say is a constant ache around a 6/7, and depending on the days activities it will go up. I've never had any type of pain medication due to being in school 3/4 of the year. I've taken Vioxx, but a week into taking it, it got taken off the market (due to stokes I believe). Is there anything not perscription that anyone has found helpful? I know of Ibuprofen, which I used to take a few years ago but have gone off it. I have just accepted the fact I'm going to be in pain constantly and just live with it.