ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:18 PM

Default Center For Artificial Disc Replacement in FL

Hi everyone, I am reaching out to anyone who has done research on the Center For Artificial Disc Replacement with Dr. Scott Katzman in Florida. He seems to have offices in 3 locations (1 near West Palm Beach and 2 near Orlando). Their website does not seem to give out much information.

https://www.centerforartificialdiscr...om/contact-us/

It seems that they use the Bryan disc for most cervical procedures. They also seem to stick with devices produced by Medtronic. Are there any past patients of Dr. Katzman out there? Also, is anyone familiar with the Bryan disc? I haven't seen it much on these boards.

Part of the reason I am asking is that I had a successful foraminotomy at C6/C7 back in March, 2013, but I am concerned with my bulge at C5/C6 which lies directly beneath two levels of fusion. I'm feeling good at the moment, so my gut tells me to leave all alone. However, I don't want to ignore the fact that I may need another procedure one day. I spoke to another physician at this establishment today. He suggested that it may be best to not only put ADR in at C5/C6 but at C6/C7 where I just had the foraminotomy. This doctor was pretty certain that I could get one or both levels covered by my insurance. I have a relatively new job and I should qualify for medical insurance in August. This plan will provide out-of-network benefits (currently I'm on my wife's policy which does not provide this). This facility only accepts that type of insurance (policies with out-of-network benefits).

At this point, they only have my MRI report. They indicated that they would know more once they receive the CD which should be in a few days. I am proceeding with extreme caution. I welcome any feedback.

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM

The bryan disc has a high level of auto-fusion occurrences from what I've read. The device also looks weak and I've read of debris from it as well (the outer sheath ripped). That being said, overall the results were decent enough for FDA approval. Though I don't like ball and socket, I would weigh that disc against the prodisc if I were you.
Kept lifting weights heavily, running daily until December when woke up with radiculopathy in right arm and constant back/neck pain.
Tried PT around March/April. No effect.
Currently consulting surgeons and trying to figure out money.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Gene,

You may know this --the search utility works well, accessible by the top navigation, but here’s the link, pls bookmark it:

ADRSupport Community - Search Forums

When you search for the doctor you asked about, you will see:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f58...acement-12137/

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f58/dhanks0001-12093/

You may want to send a private message to these patients to engage in dialogue. You will find 149 topics mentioning the Bryan disc; and if you limit your search to the title, 20.

Hope this helps you find better quality intelligence that supports your next steps!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 PM

Thanks ADR and Harrison for your help. I think the best thing for me to do now is listen to my NYC surgeon and not do anything unless I get symptoms. I am very suspicious of places that only accept insurance with out-of-network benefits and are talking about operating on you before they've even completed the evaluation.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 PM

If you are symptom free right now I would certainly wait. The risk is high with all spinal surgeries no matter the disc or surgeon. Many people have bulges that don't cause any pain or disability.
Kept lifting weights heavily, running daily until December when woke up with radiculopathy in right arm and constant back/neck pain.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:04 PM

ADR, agreed. What's happening with you now? Are you looking into TBI and/or some other places?
Old 06-25-2013, 03:26 PM

Gene,

I have gotten quotes/opinions from Dr Rischke, Ritter-Lang, and soon Clavel. I am kind of stuck because I was offered a 15k loan but I don't have the other 15k. I dont think anyone will accept half down and the rest making payments. If I could get a coapplicant I could get 20K and could probably save the rest by December, but nobody can help.
I don't want to do any device besides M6 or Freedom so unless a clinical trial starts anywhere in the US is out of the question. My results very well may be fine with another disc but the risk I feel is higher. I contacted a surgeon (Leuyrssman or something, I forget) today out in CA whose website says upcoming M6 trial. Probably the withdrawn trial amd the websote isn't updated but figured I'd ask.
Anyway pretty frustrated with the whole situation and trying not to become resigned. I'm seeing if I can do payment plans anywhere. I can afford it and pay off within a year.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 PM

ADR,

Before my U.S. surgeon talked me out of going abroad, I sent out a mass e-mail out to all my friends and family explaining my surgery and feeling the need to go overseas for it. I told people that they could pay me by PayPal or by mailing a check to my home address. Within 3 weeks, I had received $3,500.00

I ultimately returned the money to everyone once I decided to have surgery here, which was fully covered by my insurance. I did have offers of about $2,000.00 above and beyond what I collected. However, once I decided to stay in the U.S. I told those people not to bother.

I guess the point I'm making is that it doesn't hurt to ask. Also, since you have time on your side (you don't need to do this ASAP) you have the opportunity to collect more funds. BTW, I sent out a mass e-mail. If you took extra time and send out an e-mail to your friends and family one by one, I bet you would get more offers for help.

Gene
Old 06-25-2013, 04:01 PM

ADRADR:

Which Dr. quoted you 30K, and what does that include? I.E. how many discs, therapy etc.
Neck pain and intermittent finger numbness
Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 PM

Dr. Burkhard Rischke with the Freedom Cervical disc, 1 level. I believe 3 nights in hospital, some PT within those days, anesthesiologist, etc. Probably slightly less than some other places that have longer stays. Its more like 33k

Gene,
I've asked some family to coapply, but I am doing better financially than most of my immediate and extended family that I'm close to. Fortunately I don't have many expensive assets to pay for since I only graduated 2 years ago. So its difficult to ask when everyone seems to have their own problems. If I can get a part time job $500 a month I should be able to take out a 20k loan myself and save the other 10k within 5 months. My goal is to have this whole ordeal dealt with and paid for by next summer.