ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 PM

Lisa, How did your appt go with the miami md on monday? Did you get all your questions answered?Had a PT eval today and she wants to go cautiously due to the cord compression etc. She does feel alot is soft tissue at this time and need to strengthen the upper shoulders etc to help stablize my spine.Hope I can do alot while the valium is working well. Lynette
Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 AM

Hi Lynette - How bad is your compression? What types of things is the PT doing to strengthen the shoulders? How are you feeling? What are your symptoms with the myelopathy? I know you mentioned leg weakness. That must be brutal with being a nurse and on your feet alot.

Thank you for asking - and I dont mean to "hog" your blog. I had some answers - the dr did not feel it was "alarming" from what he saw on the films - as it mild impingement - in his words (He was not impressed with my local drs report either). Some of my symptoms dont make sense to him (I have heard this before - as my herniation is on the right side impinging the cord = but most of my issues are on the left side - arm and legs - last fall I had little to no compression and I had the same issues all on the left side (brain scans have been done -normal). He felt I should consult with a neurologist to do some testing to see if I have MS or someother issue that can affect the neurological system. He did not feel that my neck was causing my leg cramps or muscle twitches, and thigh pain and that surgery was not warranted at this time (so far no weakness that I can assess and reflexes are normal). I felt relieved that he did not want to wheel me immediately into surgery - but I am not resting on that one opinion - as I dont want to do permanent damage to the cord. He did feel I was a good candidate for ADR - if and when the time comes (he felt it was a quality of life decision)...I am going to the Mayo Clinic in Jax in a few weeks to follow up with the NS I saw last fall - which will be good to get his view and comparison of films and my symptoms. He was wonderful - and indulged so many of my questions - he did not feel last fall I needed surgery - so we will see what he says this time with the herniation being larger. I would like to get a new MRI - with the focus on the facets (recent dr thought from Xray they were Ok). I await an appt to be set with a NS at the Univ of Miami - where I was last fall tooo. So - I am still searching for answers and confirmation on the status of the cord. Looks like I will need more testing done. I just pray that this herniation - which the dr said was only a moderate one (the joy of having a small spinal canal) will relax and go back to its little home!! I know not likely!

I dont know if the issues in my neck are causing the leg pain/twitches. I do know that when I engage my lower back - twisting/sitting/bending - or raising my arms up which lifts the back - that causes a reaction. The bladder is better - I have a fibroid tumor - so that may be cause of that issue I have had over the last week. I am clearly a mess (perhaps mentally!)- and stress as you said is not good!

Please keep me posted on how you are doing- and please PM if you like to discuss. I did not mean to take up your blog with my own cervical issues but - I wanted to let you know my experience. I know this is scary stuff. Have you seen your NS - what are they saying - attempt conservative treatment and see if that helps to calm down the herniation? Are you candiate for ADR?

Happy joy joy - right? Take care.

Lisa
Aug 2007 - diagnosed with DDD at C5-6 - herniated disk with mild stenosis at right/central of cord - but pain/occasional numbness mostly on the left side - and down into the leg/foot - which has puzzled doctors - even had a lumbar puncture - but thankfully all clear!
May 2008- after many months of no symptoms and issues- flare up- and new MRI shows moderate stenosis.
L4-5 small annular tear with some DD
Big fan of massages and acupuncture to help with muscle tightness/pain.