ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:41 PM

Default Updates on my situation and a few questions.

Hi all, Thanks to those of you who take the time and interest in others suffering from back problems and who are walking the path that you have.

I had facet injections at L4-5 last week. The Physiatrist said "I am only injecting a local, it should last 4 or 6 hours and tell us if the facet joint is causing any pain." Frankly, I didn't notice anything different, except that i had some discomfort from the injection sites, but not what I would call "typical" pain. Is this normal if you are (negative) for Facet issues?
I'm asking this as most of my pain is sciatica. Rarely do I have intense low back pain...it's always present, but never what I would call critical?

In November, I put off my lumbar Prodisc ADR surgery (which is insurance approved) to continue with other conservative treatments and frankly because I was scared that my pain wasn't "bad" enough or my situation "serious" enough to warrant a painful life altering surgery. Since then, I have had the Facet injections, upped my lyrica and added Cymbalta, upped my used of Tramadol (although still fairly low dose) and tonight I'm getting "dry needling" at PT. (I had dry needling on my cervical spine last Thursday. I'm not impressed, it hurt like hell getting stabbed in already pissed off muscles and the electronic stim that they attached wasn't fun either) so my expectation for improvement in my lumbar is fairly low. Did anyone receive any relief from Dry Needling?

Today I read a post from someone on this site Icanraceit?? I think....
Whomever it was did a fantastic job of saying everything I would say if I was able to be in touch with my feelings. I feel so inadequate as a father, spouse, employee, friend. I have allowed my pain, and my fear of surgery to rule everything and I've become someone I never wanted to be.
5 years ago I was an active successful entrepreneur. Now I'm essentially a prisoner to pain that is barely masked by pharmaceuticals. I'm functional til about 4pm and then the wheels fall off for the rest of the evening. It's all I can do to get into my PJ's and help with the homework. My poor wife is doing everything and worrying about me on top of it all. My kids can't play with their dad like we used to (I'm the "never sit still type) always ready for a game of catch or HORSE). Everyone walks on eggshells around me never knowing if it's a "good" day or a "bad" day.

My surgeon Dr. Donner has glowing reviews, has been doing ADR's for a long time and has been fantastic at managing my care for 7 years. He told me a long time ago that I would know when the time was right for surgery and he would help me as long as it took. Well, I'm pretty sure it's time for me to suck it up and make it happen.

It wasn't until I read what the other person wrote about their story that I realized how much my life is important to other people. How my inability to be "me" is complicating so many other lives.

I'm going to finish checking off my question marks and commit to this surgery. I have to get healthy, whatever that means.

Thanks for this forum, even if it just lets me vent and rant.
Mike

2006-2011 Chiro, epidural steroids, nsaids, PT for L4-5 bulge/annular tear
April 25th 2012 35MPH rear end collision, blows out L4-5 and ADDS a tear in C4-5
Cancelled ADR to continue conservative therapies
April 10th 2013: Insurance re-approved and I'm scheduling lumbar ADR for end of the month!
*schedule* ADR Prodisc L April 29th 2013
5-2-2013 ADR using Prodisc L
7-10-2013 New MRI on neck. Surgeon DOES NOT recommend ADR for Cervical.

"I'll be your Huckleberry"
Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 PM

Amen. I too was sick of living a half life of pain. Today I rode the subway with no back support and it felt great, and its just going to keep getting better. :-)
2009 - Trampoline injury (just bounced down on my butt)
2009-2011 Physiotherapy and medication, progress but no lasting pain relief
2010 - X-Ray DDD L5-S1, L4-L5, L4-L3
2010 - MRI Herniation L5-S1, Bulges L4-L5, L4-L3
2011 - Epidurals - No relief
2012 - Facet Injections - No relief
2012 - Discogram TBI - positive L3-S1

L3-S1 ADR M6-L w Clavel 11/28/2012
Old 02-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Hey Mike, I hear you....the pain can control your life...I have heard others on this site talk about having a plan and I agree...you can do this. If you ever want to talk just pm me...

Take care,

Dean
Massage, chiro
4 shots, no relief
Ct, 3mri's
all activities stopped, day by day
DDD @ L5 S1
Examined by 3 surgeons,
Consulted with 2 out of country surg, all reco ADR
Surgery Oct. 26, 2012 by Dr. Bouchard, Pro Disc L
Old 02-20-2013, 04:02 AM

Mike,

You can do this. It is time. I can tell just from reading your post it is time. Your life is not workable. I've been living off chips and salsa because I can't stand (pun intended) to cook. My husband and son have to do everything, and I know my son resents my pain. Quite frankly, I don't think I can blame him.

Get the surgery done. Get your life back.

And don't worry, the good people of this forum? We got you. We got your back and we know how it is.

Welcome, and know that this will not last forever. You WILL get your life back!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.