ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:03 AM

Default Communication with doctors - rant as well

This is probably 90% rant and 10% useful. Two weeks ago I had surgery for prostate cancer. Two days ago the catheder was removed (referred to as Free Willy day by my father) and was warned to expect incontinence for weeks to follow. Instead what I got was an inability to urinate easily. Over the past two days I've spoken with two surgeons and two nurses about why I couldn't empty my bladder. Each time I asked if the medication I had been put on had anything to do with it as it said that it should not be taken by those who have problems emptying their bladders. Each time I told them that I was taking Oxytrol, the medication in question, and each time I was told that it had nothing to do with the problem.

Ultimately, this wound up with a trip to the emergency room where I was to get another catheder reinserted; lots of fun. I asked again about the medication and this time the doc finally actually listened to what I said. Turns out that the medication was the main reason for my urination problems and that everyone else failed to try to listen to what I'd told them. Everyone heard "OXY---" and thought Oxycontin rather than listening and realizing that I was taking OXYTROL. Makes you feel good about the level of skill and experience you're dealing that four people working in the field of urology think first of heavy-duty narcotics rather than a commonly used medication for their own specialization.

The 10% useful part is coming up. What I did realize was that if I'd used the correct term for the class of drugs, anti-spasmodics or even anticholinergic, and tried to use the language that the docs use themselves I probably would have had this resolved on the first day and skipped the trip to the ER. The term was readily available on the package insert with the drug and on the internet but I used the trade name rather than what the docs would have used.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 10-05-2008, 08:49 AM

Isn't that a kick in the ............................?

This is incredible when you think how many years of schooling and training they get that no one taught them the art of active listening. In the counseling profession that is the biggest thing we are taught and the hardest to master.

Sorry you had to learn this first hand.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 10-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default Sorry

Jim,

It was kind of you to share this, even though you are having a rough ride. I remember the catheter fun back in 2000, when I had an emergency appie. It was especially fun then, as I had a new technician who never saw the Free Willie movie...

I wonder how many mistakes have been made because of the zillion names one drug could have? It does seem silly...

I hope the worst part of your healing is over. And thanks for sharing this!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-08-2008, 07:30 AM

Jim,sorry to hear of your diagnosis and surgery. I sincerely hope you have the all clear and don't have to endure any more catheter fun.

Another case of doctors who are either to busy or just not interested enough to take time to listen to the patient. All too common it seems.

You've been a tremendous support to Laura on her spinal journey and are always here ( well, one of you is, we don't always know which one??) with advice to others looking for answers
May everything go well for you at this trying time.
Take care Cathy
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 AM

Jim: I wish you my very best. - Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.