ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:41 AM

Last night my husband and I went out to dinner. When it was time to go, I got up and tried to walk but due to the stiffness, spasms and the fact that I'm having difficulty with an uncontrollable dragging of my foot, I almost fell into another table.

I'm thinking of pulling out my cane that I use when I go through surgeries. I' not sure if it will help with my balance. I know people will be staring and wondering why a fairly young looking woman needs a cane but could you just imagine the embarrassment if I actually did fall into the other table?? Especially after the fact I just got through with having a margarita with my dinner. I did hear someone say "Jeez, she must've had one too many."

So, has anyone ever used a cane for the same purpose? Do you think it would help at least with my balance and regain my composure when the spasms start when I begin to walk?
Hoping for ADR in Summer 2005
Old 12-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Kris, who care what other people think?! If it helps you, give it a try. If people give you dirty looks, give em a whack!

If it helps you walk or stabilize, give it a go. You have nothing to lose trying!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-22-2004, 09:12 AM

Hi Kris,
You use what you want to help you

Your only critic is your spine

Best wishes
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 12-22-2004, 09:50 AM

Hey guys
I say bring that stick on
I've use a cane myself & I'm fairly young(and vain)
After & before ADR I used the cane a lot, and the
Trusty claw (thingy that picks up things) I've used constantly
One thing I've realised (truley )is I don't care what others think ,I'm doing the best I can & there is people much more worst of than me
Best wishes
Janie
Old 12-22-2004, 10:20 AM

I say use it, if it helps then it is worth it.

I have just been through trying to convince my mum to go back to using hers as her knees are bad again, think I have got through to her now.

Take care!
Old 12-23-2004, 02:14 AM

Kris,

I am currently a cane user, I too have a hard time walking after sitting for a dinner out, or after a car ride of more than 20 minutes, or if the walk is more than 5 minutes. I don't use the cane all the time,( never at home) but I do keep it in the car with me.

Don't be embarassed by it, use it when you need it. Just today my PM dr. encouraged me to use my cane, but also cautioned me that you can become dependent on it and weaker as a result. So it does have its negative side too.

I bought a cane that has butterflies on it and just tonight at the video store a 5 year old girl ran up to me and said "Wow I really like your shiney stick" I laughed and told her thanks. I think her mother was embarassed but I wasn't, I think kids honesty is great!

So hang in there with your cane, hopefully soon you won't need it.

Vivian
Old 12-23-2004, 10:38 AM

Butterflies? Thats neat...Mine has leopard spots...Very coooool
Hoping for ADR in Summer 2005
Old 12-23-2004, 01:54 PM

Leopard spots....wow...if i ever get a cane that's what I want!
Old 12-28-2004, 09:14 PM

What is important is how you feel not what other people think of you...as they have no clue as to what you are going through. If you feel you need the cane then use it. I have a suggestion, I am assuming you cannot exercise but what you can do in place.. is contract your muscles, meaning tense and squeeze them isometrically...this will believe it or not strengthen them and offer more muscle control and balance for you, when you fall your muscles will at least support you and go into high gear to protect your spine, I have been there. When I damaged my sciatic nerve I too had a hard time moving my left leg, but what I did was use a one-legged leg curl machine and I did everything I could to stimulate those muscles and I made a miraculous recovery, I was to where I could not even go up on my toes it was like that part of me was completely dead, 6 months later my left leg can handle the same amount of weight as the right even though it struggles with it somewhat. Try this then maybe you could eventually use some exercise equipment it won't hurt to try and actually a lying leg curl and a single leg extension machine should not bother your spine. Stretching, deep tissue massage and Malic Acid works well for muscle spasms.
Hang in there
Andro1111
Old 12-30-2004, 02:16 PM

Don't be afraid to carry the cane around just-in-case. Yes, you will feel foolish, but it is better to have it on hand and not deend it than to need it and not have it. Don't fall into a trap, though, of using it simply because it's on hand. You can develop some poor posture and gait habits from over-reliance.

Best of luck.

12/03: Sudden, non-traumatic onset
03/04: L5-S1 discectomy
01/05: L5-S1 ADR (Charite) by Fabien Bitan (Spine Institute at Beth Israel)