ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:17 PM

Walker,
Dec. 8 is just around the corner! Before you know it you'll be on the gurney and the rest will be history! I'm sending you my best wishes for a splendid outcome and a rapid recovery!

I'll ask my mohter if we have any relatives in the Carter or Chickasha areas. She comes from William Walker. There are so many Walker families, I think we are registered in a DNA data base. Very interesting stuff!

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:42 PM

I was asking who was paying for it, but you have already answered that question.

Good luck
Old 12-02-2005, 02:32 PM

Great news, Walker. You can probably find lots of references to TBI and the Drs. there on this site. They are all leaders in ADR research and surgery, have variously presented at spine conferences.

Linda Roberts, who used to post here, had a 2-level done by Dr. Guyer a couple of years ago, I believe. She speaks very highly of him and you could probably PM her if you wanted more info.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:22 PM

Dear Walker,

I wish you all the best! Please tell us how everything goes.

Just wanted to let everyone know I will be going to see Dr. Guier in Plano, TX on December 5th to see if I am a candidate. If you live more than 300 miles the clinic trials can write a waiver to accept you. When you set up an appoinment to see the doctor be sure to bring an MRI (no more than 6 months old), discography, bone density, x-rays and any onther films you may have. This is VERY important. The more you bring, the faster you will be able to have the surgery. I'll post to let everyone know how my appointment goes.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:46 PM

Good luck Margaret. You are right, if you walk in with all your stuff ready for examination, you stand a chance of getting referred to the research department on the spot. You will like Emily. She is very nice. She is the coordinator from the research department. She has asked me if she can watch my surgery. I told her to be sure that they don't mess up any of my tattoos!! (haha)

For all those who have had adr, I was concerned about my pre-surgery diet. I remember on a post of some talk about people going on a liquid diet before the surgery. Why? Is there any other advice one might have for me. I am 37, fairly active, and have had 2 c-sections. I cleaned my entire house the day I got home from the first c-section. I hope I can be as tough now (without overdoing it). I look at this opportunity as "my one shot to get some help before I give in to fusion." I don't want to mess things up, but I want to be the best post-op story there every was! Talk about a positive attitude! (I will really be crying out of apprehension on the day of the surgery--for real).
Old 12-03-2005, 01:30 AM

HI Walker,

What a year it has been, glad to know we will be ADR sisters soon. BLW we registered on ADR Support the same day. With that said I wish you a stellar recovery just like mine.

I ran into this article on the Kineflex the other day the sponsor has a good animation you can share with your family and friends this holiday.

Regarding the eating before surgery, my doc said he experimented both ways liquids only or no food from 12:00 am the night before and for just a L5-S1 it did not seem to make a difference. (follow your doctors recommendation)

With that said I ate light a few days prier to surgery tried to go on liquids but ended up eating the night before a salad and everything came out fine.

My suggestion is to drink plenty of water the day before surgery so you are very hydrated going in.

You will be in my prayers.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 12-06-2005, 12:50 AM

Thanks, I am getting nervous. Trying to get my house set up for my return home. Making plans for doggie day care while I am gone. Had about 2.5 weeks notice (not complaining, spent almost a year trying to get help!) so I had to get all of my Christmas shopping done. Gave a co-worker a crash course on how to cover my job while I am gone. hmmmm Am I forgetting something? I am sure to!!!! Oh well. I am not scared. I have one shot at this and I am going to do my best to make it good. I appreciate what this board had offered me and many others. I am proud to have an ADR Sister. Thanks a million!
Old 12-06-2005, 12:26 PM

Hi Walker ~

I was fortunate to receive my Kineflex disc through the Kineflex/Charite study, and I'm happy for you. My surgery and recovery went extremely well and at this point I don't even think about my back except to realize it feels fine!

We took a trip to New York City and didn't get home until the day before my surgery, so I can empathize with your busy-ness. Perhaps it helps keep your mind off any fear of surgery. I hope you are at peace with your decision and I wish you the best. I look forward to hearing from you as you're recovering.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:41 AM

walker,

I am praying for you. I know your surgery is tomorrow.

I just got back from T.B.I. in Plano, TX. I saw Dr. Guyer and I am a candidate for the Kineflex Clinical Trial as well. My surgury has been set up for Jan 19th. Let me know how you are doing when you get back from your surgery and are feeling better.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:49 PM

Hi Walker,

Today is the big day. Just sending my prayers your way. All your hard work is over and you get to rest and heal.

Welcome to the other side our new ADR sister......
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything