ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPatti View Post
Guessing Epidural Steroid Injection
Sorry, yes..a Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection. I'm thinking too, that he's making sure he tries all alternatives in case he needs to fight insurance in case they don't work. Needing to show we tried everything. I hope to God this works. Will keep Y'all posted.
2012 trauma lumbar following yard work
Nov 2012 MRI Bulging discs L4,5, S1
Mild stenosis
Dec-Jan PT
Jan 2013 Discogram
Results Level 5 Annular tears L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1
Need 3 disc fusion
Facet Joints injections, March 2013- no relief
Transform.., Epidural Injections 4-23-13 Right L2-3 No relief
2nd ESI 5-14-13 L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1 No relief ugh.
ADR L3-4, L4-5, Fusion L5-S1 Fusion Dr.Blumenthal TBI July, 2013
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover771 View Post
Sorry, yes..a Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection. I'm thinking too, that he's making sure he tries all alternatives in case he needs to fight insurance in case they don't work. Needing to show we tried everything. I hope to God this works. Will keep Y'all posted.
Please do!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:29 PM

Had my first set of injections yesterday. Left side facets L3-L5. No relief. Giving it a week, as they say. Who's opinion to you believe? The Neurosurgeon and the discogram or the Ortho, who or don't believe in them a and says he thinks it facet joints? This is exhausting.
Mild stenosis
Dec-Jan PT
Jan 2013 Discogram
Need 3 disc fusion
Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 AM

What is YOUR experience? Where do YOU feel the pain is coming from? Only you live in your body. All the docs can do is tell you what the tests tell them, and sometimes that is not enough.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
What is YOUR experience? Where do YOU feel the pain is coming from? Only you live in your body. All the docs can do is tell you what the tests tell them, and sometimes that is not enough.
I feel like the pain is coming from the discs. Each side of my spine doesn't really hurt. It just doesn't feel like its a joint. But I feel like people think I'm Lying or something... I don't know. Just a low day. Hubby doesn't want me to even consider 3 level fusion because of everything we've read.. But at some point I've got to make a decision. I just don't want to be one of those people who live on pain pills..everyone in my family had an addictive behavior of some sort (smoking, alcohol, etc.) and I don't want that. I miss gardening. I carry a pillow with me everywhere I go. I feel like people look at me like I'm 85 or something. Oh well. Sorry... Just a low day.

Lillyth, when do you leave for Europe? I'll send up prayers for a successful surgery.
Mild stenosis
Dec-Jan PT
Jan 2013 Discogram
Need 3 disc fusion
Old 03-10-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I feel like the pain is coming from the discs. Each side of my spine doesn't really hurt. It just doesn't feel like its a joint. But I feel like people think I'm Lying or something... I don't know. Just a low day. Hubby doesn't want me to even consider 3 level fusion because of everything we've read.. But at some point I've got to make a decision. I just don't want to be one of those people who live on pain pills..everyone in my family had an addictive behavior of some sort (smoking, alcohol, etc.) and I don't want that. I miss gardening. I carry a pillow with me everywhere I go. I feel like people look at me like I'm 85 or something. Oh well. Sorry... Just a low day.

Lillyth, when do you leave for Europe? I'll send up prayers for a successful surgery.
Thank you so much Grover! Funny, all this time I thought you were a guy because of your handle!

I feel ya (literally) about the pain. And the pillow carrying.

I can't recall, is overseas just not in the cards for you? Or are you waiting on a film review?

A family history of addiction can be very daunting, but do remember that you are not your family members. If you need something to quell the pain, even for a little bit, that is not addiction. That is pain management.

Yeah, I know all about people thinking you are lying. I walked into one doctor's office and said "Hi, I have three ruptured discs in my neck, one of which is impinging on my spinal cord. I need you to replace them all please." His response? "You have three ruptured discs, one pinching your spinal cord?" Then, when he got my MRI back looked at me aghast. My response? "I TOLD you I had three ruptured discs, one pinching my spinal cord!" For years my husband's friends thought I was a hypochondriac who was using my pain as an excuse not to work and to let my husband earn all the money. Now they realize the truth. In the words of one of them "You can't fake a spinal injury."

And please, never apologize for having a low point. That is the whole point of this site. Is for us to support one another. And we can't do that if we don't know you are having a bad day. We all have them, so we all get it. Not that I was ever at any point considering suicide seriously (I love my husband and my son too much to do that to them), but there have been days when I have just thought I could not take it anymore, and wished for death. But it is the days where, despite the pain, we have a good day, that makes it bearable. I hope you have a good day quite soon. Put on your favorite music and get into whatever position causes you the least amount of pain (I won't even try to say comfortable. I don't know about you, but for me there is no such thing.) and just let that music transport you out of your body (and your HEAD) for just a little while.

This time next week I will be in Barcelona. It is seeming surreal now. We leave the 16th (SFO) and land in Barcelona on the 17th, with pre-op and surgery on the 18th. I am very happy for your offer of prayers, and in fact, was thinking of suggesting a "prayer circle" whenever one of us goes into surgery. I know Gina goes in tomorrow, so let's all hold her in our hearts and minds in whatever fashion we do. Lighting a candle, praying, sending good vibes, whatever. It's all the same, IMO. It has been scientifically proven, BTW, the power of prayer. Double blind peer reviewed and all!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
Thank you so much Grover! Funny, all this time I thought you were a guy because of your handle!

I feel ya (literally) about the pain. And the pillow carrying.

I can't recall, is overseas just not in the cards for you? Or are you waiting on a film review?

A family history of addiction can be very daunting, but do remember that you are not your family members. If you need something to quell the pain, even for a little bit, that is not addiction. That is pain management.

Yeah, I know all about people thinking you are lying. I walked into one doctor's office and said "Hi, I have three ruptured discs in my neck, one of which is impinging on my spinal cord. I need you to replace them all please." His response? "You have three ruptured discs, one pinching your spinal cord?" Then, when he got my MRI back looked at me aghast. My response? "I TOLD you I had three ruptured discs, one pinching my spinal cord!" For years my husband's friends thought I was a hypochondriac who was using my pain as an excuse not to work and to let my husband earn all the money. Now they realize the truth. In the words of one of them "You can't fake a spinal injury."

And please, never apologize for having a low point. That is the whole point of this site. Is for us to support one another. And we can't do that if we don't know you are having a bad day. We all have them, so we all get it. Not that I was ever at any point considering suicide seriously (I love my husband and my son too much to do that to them), but there have been days when I have just thought I could not take it anymore, and wished for death. But it is the days where, despite the pain, we have a good day, that makes it bearable. I hope you have a good day quite soon. Put on your favorite music and get into whatever position causes you the least amount of pain (I won't even try to say comfortable. I don't know about you, but for me there is no such thing.) and just let that music transport you out of your body (and your HEAD) for just a little while.

This time next week I will be in Barcelona. It is seeming surreal now. We leave the 16th (SFO) and land in Barcelona on the 17th, with pre-op and surgery on the 18th. I am very happy for your offer of prayers, and in fact, was thinking of suggesting a "prayer circle" whenever one of us goes into surgery. I know Gina goes in tomorrow, so let's all hold her in our hearts and minds in whatever fashion we do. Lighting a candle, praying, sending good vibes, whatever. It's all the same, IMO. It has been scientifically proven, BTW, the power of prayer. Double blind peer reviewed and all!
LOL! I used my real name on another board and they changed it for me. Too personal, I guess. My handle is what they changed it to, so i just used it here. I'm Deb, btw.

Been to Barcelona pre cruise. It's beautiful. I haven't had anyone suggest any type of surgery other than triple lumbar fusion. MRI is unremarkable, other than bulges and one level indenting thecal sac. Discogram is what found grade 5 tears in all three levels. Must need to try all these other options (injections) before anyone suggests ADR I guess. You guys have all been struggling with this for a long time. This just happened in Oct.,, and I'm struggling. Maybe I'm supposed to bear it for awhile longer.. Who knows. I find comfort here.

My sis has Leukemia.. Diagnosed at 53.. Thought she had the flu. I am a firm believer on prayer, as it has lifted her through chemo and bone marrow transplant to remission. I had prayers from every religion I knew.. No problem there! Safe travels and thanks for taking the time you all do to help those of us who are struggling.
Mild stenosis
Dec-Jan PT
Jan 2013 Discogram
Need 3 disc fusion
Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 PM

Deb,

I'm sorry that you are here. If we can offer any comfort than I am glad of that! In my experience, the insurance companies don't like to jump to surgery. Some people do experience a lot of relief from the injections. I only got short term relief, so I began to look elsewhere. I was offered fusion, but knew there had to be something better. Once I found out about ADRs, there was no turning back for me. Feel free to drop me a PM about my experiences.

06/2012- Successful ADR surgery for C4/C5 disc in Cyprus using PCM by NuVasive. Performed by Dr. Mark Peterson through the help of AIMIS.

09/2012- Successful Disctectomy of L5/S1also performed by Dr. Mark Peterson.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
LOL! I used my real name on another board and they changed it for me. Too personal, I guess. My handle is what they changed it to, so i just used it here. I'm Deb, btw.

Been to Barcelona pre cruise. It's beautiful. I haven't had anyone suggest any type of surgery other than triple lumbar fusion. MRI is unremarkable, other than bulges and one level indenting thecal sac. Discogram is what found grade 5 tears in all three levels. Must need to try all these other options (injections) before anyone suggests ADR I guess. You guys have all been struggling with this for a long time. This just happened in Oct.,, and I'm struggling. Maybe I'm supposed to bear it for awhile longer.. Who knows. I find comfort here.

My sis has Leukemia.. Diagnosed at 53.. Thought she had the flu. I am a firm believer on prayer, as it has lifted her through chemo and bone marrow transplant to remission. I had prayers from every religion I knew.. No problem there! Safe travels and thanks for taking the time you all do to help those of us who are struggling.
Hi Deb! Nice to meet you!

Yeah, if it's only been since October, no one will operate. You need six months of "conservative treatment" before anyone will cut you. That is standard. But the good news is you only have one more month to go to prove you need something more drastic!

I am so glad your sister is still with us!

And thank you, and you are most welcome. It is one my great passions in life to help people. Especially those trapped in the US medical care system. I cannot stand seeing people suffer because doctors simply regurgitate what Big Pharma tells them without thinking critically for themselves.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM

I second what Lillyth said. Having been a victim of our medical system, any way I can help others makes me feel good.

06/2012- Successful ADR surgery for C4/C5 disc in Cyprus using PCM by NuVasive. Performed by Dr. Mark Peterson through the help of AIMIS.

09/2012- Successful Disctectomy of L5/S1also performed by Dr. Mark Peterson.