ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:05 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm so glad to have found you! (Harrison, thank you for your kind welcome.)

My story: Diagnosed with early DDD of cervical spine c1993. Slow progression managed conservatively. Pain/spasm/radiculopathy increasing by 2000; constant companions by 2001. X-rays show nothing remarkable; MRIs show disc protrusions C4-C7, impinging on nerve roots bilaterally and spinal cord at C5-C7.

I've been trying to avoid fusion for years. During winter holidays, discovered ADR possibilities and began reading/hoping. Was accepted by Stenum Hospital (Bremen, Germany) for ADR C4-C7 (Prestige) about a week ago.

Currently waiting to schedule. They've offered dates in Oct/Nov, but I'm trying to determine how much hassle to expect from insurance (BCBS Federal Employees) so I can decide if I have enough time to refinance my house to pay everything up-front (quoted Euro 28,000). Also realizing I'll probably have to go by myself due to schedule (and maybe $$$).

Does anyone have words of wisdom or advice? On multi-level cervical ADR, Stenum, BCBS FEP, courage, comfort food, anything? :-)

I just have to say it again: I'm so glad to have found you!

Best,
Old 09-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Jenni, the issues at Stenum have been discussed openly and frequently here. Unfortunately, they are not very positive. In fact, many patients on this forum (dunno if it is representative of all patients from Stenum) have had serious problems with their lumbar ADRs.

I urge you to carefully and diligently sift through (search using "Stenum") and read them all. Feel free to PM or email those folks that have gone there -- they are kind and helpful and are willing to communicate with you about their experiences.

Good luck, whatever your decisions.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-05-2005, 11:16 AM

Thanks, Harrison.

After continuing to read here, I got in touch with Mark to discuss further options. I feel much better about the nagging sense of indecision that's bothered me, and he's agreed to help me find what may be a better solution.

I'll share any of my experiences that may help someone else.

Thanks again!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:51 AM

see paulam310she's a 3 level cervical

see also member 317 (sfmcfar) who got coverage because he was a federal employee, the OPM overturned his private HMO's intial denial
Old 09-05-2005, 05:03 PM

Amy,

I'll definitely write to them (and to DWebster, who I hear has also tamed the bcbs federal beast).

Thanks very much!